Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
I'm buying an external HD today and have decided its gonna be a LaCie. I need to know whats the best for my MINI and why?

1. LaCie Ethernet Disk mini

2. LaCie d2 Extreme with triple Interface

3. LaCie Big Disk Extreme

4. LaCie d2 Serial ATA

Ideally I would like the Serial ATA to eventually set up as a RAID 0 array but can I do that on a mini?

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
the ethernet disk is quite expensive and designed to be a NAS device i believe. the d2 SATA needs an external SATA port and the mini has none, and the d2 versus big disk just depends on what capacity you need. have you considered building an external drive yourself? just buy an IDE hard drive and a 3.5" external enclosure and put the drive in the enclosure. should end up being much cheaper than a lacie.

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
Reason im going with LaCie is cos they are silent. Im running an audio server. Last thing i need is a HD making noise!

Im thinking about getting the Big Disk Extreme 400 gig. Now do I need the triple interface? I would like to eventually run a RAID 0 array for speed. What merits does the USB 2.0 have over 400 firewire?

I Shall be storing my CD collection on this baby.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.