Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Is there a way I can run boot camp on just an external hard drive? Also, what would you guys recommend for external hard drives for my Macbook? I'll probably be running to circuit city or best buy sometime this week...

gothicx00

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
I'd check either Newegg or Mwave . I don't buy hardware from any place else, unless it's with my girlfriend's discount at one of the major electronics chains that will remain nameless.

What size harddrive do you have atm??

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I think I may just format and partition an old drive and get an external enclosure.

Here's my question, though...

Can I split an external drive to be, say 70% Mac formatted, and 30% Windows formatted and then have my internal drive handle things like my iTunes and iPhoto library and booting, and then my external hold my games for Windows an everything else for my Mac? So I'd still be booting off of the internal for both systems, but at the same time, be using the external drive for both. That possible?

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Buschmaster said:
I think I may just format and partition an old drive and get an external enclosure.

Here's my question, though...

Can I split an external drive to be, say 70% Mac formatted, and 30% Windows formatted and then have my internal drive handle things like my iTunes and iPhoto library and booting, and then my external hold my games for Windows an everything else for my Mac? So I'd still be booting off of the internal for both systems, but at the same time, be using the external drive for both. That possible?

As stated in the other posts Boot Camp will NOT work from an external drive. Only from your internal OS X boot drive.

gothicx00

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
kvanwagoner said:
As stated in the other posts Boot Camp will NOT work from an external drive. Only from your internal OS X boot drive.

I don't think you are reading what he was asking correctly. He was talking about booting windows from the internal drive but having an external drive with two seperate, differently formatted partitions.

Regardless here's my suggestion. Format the external drive wholly in HFS+, install MediaFour's MacDrive and you'll have access to it in both OS's, allowing you to share iTunes libraries, other media files, and what-not. It's what I do with my internal drive on my MBP. I only have 20gb for my windows partition, but have 30+gb of free space on my HFS+ parition. Anything larger than a text file goes there. Simple soultion and gives you the best of both worlds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.