Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Hi guys

I'm searching for a external monitor for my Macs. It will be used for my older '08 Mac Mini and for my MBA. Keep in mind that I'm on a limited budget.

I've pretty much narrowed my search down to these two Asus monitors both with IPS

- 23" http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VS239HR/
- 21.5" http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VS229H/

The difference is about 50$. I'm not sure if I should go with the 23" and pay 50$ more than the 21.5". Is it worth it going with bigger? I don't game, but will be used for writing (a lot) and movies. I could afford paying the 23", but saving them wouldn't be all bad :rolleyes:

I've heard good things about Asus, and also Dell - but their prices is over my budget.

Any thought? :)

tallchris

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
I'd go for the smaller one, they're both 1920x1080 resolution, so have the same amount of 'space'

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
I'd go for the smaller one, they're both 1920x1080 resolution, so have the same amount of 'space'

Really? Always thought bigger was better, but I see your point. I've always regretted not going for bigger screen when I bought my plasma tv several years ago, and thought the same will happen with monitor :)

So larger screens when only talking bout 1920x1080 won't be as good as the smalle one?

tallchris

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
Maybe think of it like this,
have you seen the screen on the an old iPhone 3G or 3GS vs a 4 or 4S? Or retina MBP vs regular MBP? Each has the same size screen but obviously the 'retina' ones are much sharper

Best option probably have a look in a local store if you can see what you think in person.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Yeah of course. Unfortunately I can't see them in real, but just thinking 21.5 being too small..
Haven't had a monitor for a while though. Last one was a ACD 20" :)

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
You might want to check out gdgt.com

I've just searched and searched for a while without going anywhere, so just nailed it down to the Dell. Considered Asus but read that they wobbles a lot, which I really can't stand (no pun intended). Also Dell got glossy versus Asus matte.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I've just searched and searched for a while without going anywhere, so just nailed it down to the Dell. Considered Asus but read that they wobbles a lot, which I really can't stand (no pun intended). Also Dell got glossy versus Asus matte.

I was aware that not everyone cared much about glossy vs. matte, and that vendors often use glossy because it tends to make a better initial impression. But before this post, I don't think I'd ever seen a post in which someone who was comparing things described glossy as a reason to pick one display over another.

Which is amusing, because I was browsing the forums in case of any rumors of a thunderbolt display which isn't glossy, because I really like the feature set, but can't stand gloss...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.