Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McPannekoek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2015
I just bought 20GB extra icloud space to be able to store my pics (about 90GB).
In settings it says that i have 198GB free. But when i try to copy my pictures to iCloud drive i get a error that i don't have enough storage space. Do i have to take some extra actions?

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Do you mean you bought 200GB? It could be a timing thing if you've only just upgraded. Do you have another device (eg iPhone) to check storage there?

McPannekoek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2015
Do you mean you bought 200GB? It could be a timing thing if you've only just upgraded. Do you have another device (eg iPhone) to check storage there?
Yes i mean 200GB sorry. I have also an iPhone will check that.
Is it also possible to store the pics only in the cloud, my diskspace on my mac is only 128GB and i don't want to sync the files like dropbox does?

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I don't think iCloud storage can work like that, it's a bit more limited than Dropbox at the moment.

A better option might be to import your photos into apples photos app on your Mac. They'll be uploaded to the cloud, utilising your iCloud storage space. You can view them via safari or your your iPad/iPhone.

I'd then suggest backing up your originals to an external drive, before switching apple photos on your Mac to "optimise storage" which will mean it stores lower resolution versions on your Mac, and downloads higher resolution versions as needed.

McPannekoek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2015
I don't think iCloud storage can work like that, it's a bit more limited than Dropbox at the moment.

A better option might be to import your photos into apples photos app on your Mac. They'll be uploaded to the cloud, utilising your iCloud storage space. You can view them via safari or your your iPad/iPhone.

I'd then suggest backing up your originals to an external drive, before switching apple photos on your Mac to "optimise storage" which will mean it stores lower resolution versions on your Mac, and downloads higher resolution versions as needed.
Hmm looks like a bit of a dissapointment my upgrade, i had other expectations.
If i upload the files on iCloud.com and turn of iCloud drive in de cloud settings on my mac will that be an option?
That way i can view the pictures on mobile device and it won't burden the SSD of the mac.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Hmm looks like a bit of a dissapointment my upgrade, i had other expectations.
If i upload the files on iCloud.com and turn of iCloud drive in de cloud settings on my mac will that be an option?
That way i can view the pictures on mobile device and it won't burden the SSD of the mac.

Yes that would work.

I'd suggest uploading a few pics into various folders as a test , because the iCloud Drive app on mobile isn't really optimised for that usage scenario.

McPannekoek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2015
Yes that would work.

I'd suggest uploading a few pics into various folders as a test , because the iCloud Drive app on mobile isn't really optimised for that usage scenario.
Yes makes sense.
I also am looking into upgrading Dropbox, this has the selective synchronization option for desktop clients. The downside is that it is more expensive but on the other hand you get 1TB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.