Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinetec

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Red Sox Nation
I have a client that wants me to take around 200 DVDs and extract the video and then convert to .flv (they own the copyright and wish to put them on the web).

I've done a test on one using Handbrake to extract the video and then use Flash to encode to .flv.

Is that the best way to handle it (handbrake and flash)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when extracting video is the speed based more on the amount of memory you have or your processor speed? I'm debating on getting a new Mac Pro or a refurbished dual G5.

Also, any recommendations on how to add metadata to the .flv file?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
You could rip the DVD with a higher quality format, like DV (DVDxDV or similar), and then encode to flv. And you can ensure the best compression to quality in flash with the Vp6 codec in flash 8. Check out On2.

The extraction from DVD will go as fast as your reader will read…
But the encoding to flv will only go as fast as your system will allow.

MacPro's are obviously faster, but only so much as the hard drive read speed will allow. If you get 3 drives in a raid the encode will be 1.5x faster. MacPro has space for four internal drives for this reason.

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
So old thread, I don't know whether you can read my reply or not. I just want to say this the method is a bit complicated. And right now, lots of Mac DVD Ripper can solve your problem. Some of them can convert DVD to FLV with the quality most close to the orignial.:D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.