Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
I was having major data issues where my phone was downloading data anytime it was on cellular. Went to the apple store and had them swap my phone, then tested it out and every time I would open data usage it would show data being downloaded. I told the genius and he gave me a new SIM card and no more problems! I'm so excited since I've just been using my phone without cellular data turned on for the past week. If your having these issues I would definitely look into getting a new SIM card.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
How about us Verizon users that don't use SIM cards???????

+1

What can we Verizon owners do about this? I was able to get a CSR to agree to waive any overages; took me 3+ hours on the phone with Apple and Verizon. Open tickets on both. I'm up to 660 Mb i 4 days, doing nothing but checking emails, twitter, facebook and vanilla safari pages.

chaosboi

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
A few days back I reset my network settings and then reset all settings (for good measure!) and I haven't experienced excess data since.
No harm trying this trick, but if you do please post back and let us know how you go.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
A few days back I reset my network settings and then reset all settings (for good measure!) and I haven't experienced excess data since.
No harm trying this trick, but if you do please post back and let us know how you go.

Did not help me. Did this and full restore. Still bad.

Imac Sam

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Harrisonburg, Virginia
In the process of figuring out this problem on my end. I have noticed like others that NEW YouTube app does use LTE data even when the phone is on Wi-Fi. Now the question arises is this a flaw in the YouTube App or iOS6. I have no answer on that.

But I can say that I have looked at my cellular usage so much today, that I can say that I have noticed, that it also has an occasional "data doubling" flaw for the usage counter. IE: I checked and had 50mb usage. I closed the app, put the phone to sleep, picked it up 5 minutes later and checked again and it doubled to 100mb usage, with no apps running in the background.

So in retrospective there appears to be two problems at play at the same time. The phone and/or app lack of ability to transmit on wi-fi as it should by default; and a flawed cellular usage counter subroutine built into iOS.

My thoughts are I can't wait until the next iOS 6.0.1 is released to hopefully fix these issues, and to keep me from having to check my Verizon account usage every several hours, because of the fear of going over my family's shared data plan.

chazcron

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
I upgraded to the iP5.My wife took my iP4S and upgraded it to IOS 6 and previously never gone over her 200 MB plan on her iP4. Nor did I on the iP4S she currently has. Five days into a new billing cycle and she gets a 66% used notice. IP4S doesn't have LTE, so it is not that. It HAS to be something screwy with IOS 6. Probably the low wifi thing, as her huge data suck happened while she was at home, on her MBP on strong wifi.

I have the same issue with my iP5. no change in my usage pattern, but have used 25% of my 200MBs in four days. I even turned off LTE after two days. AT&T has already assured us it will credit the inevitable overages for this month, so Apple and AT&T have one month to figure this out.

I would LOVE to have data usage tracking by apps and more accurate data/time usage monitoring(no more aggregate usage attributed to 12:29am). Also would prefer Apple to give the user a range of settings for amount of time/signal strenght before weak wifi switches to cellular data.

iliptikal

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
CNET reports Apple has pushed an update fixing the wifi bug... Hrm what anout other carriers and other iPhones tho?!
http://m.cnet.com/news/apple-rolls-out-fix-for-iphone-5-wi-fi-network-data-bug/57523224?ds=1

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm on Verizon. It uses a SIM card.

Your phone has a SIM card(or at least a slot for one), but Verizon does not use it like AT&T or T-Mobile. You could remove the SIM card on your phone and it would continue to function as before. If I pop the SIM card out of my AT&T phone, I am unable to use cellular data or make/receive calls.

Braggi

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
Look at Settings

Click the Settings app and look at settings for everything in the phone. All kinds of things have cellular data settings that can be switched off. I went through and did all that. I've called 611 on Verizon twice to be sure my complaint is lodged. The guy today said they're aware, it's Apple's fault (of course) and I won't be charged for data overages. I'll believe that when I see the bill. I noticed that my data usage "clock" hasn't moved in the last 12 hours, but then I noticed that's the last time Verizon updated it! So I've been checking but I have no idea if it's still stealing data. Grrrr.

Jeffy499

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Apple just had an update lol but ya i've used my ip5 for 4 days using wifi then I got a txt from Verizon saying I used up 50% of my data. I was like "wtf?" Lol

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Your phone has a SIM card(or at least a slot for one), but Verizon does not use it like AT&T or T-Mobile. You could remove the SIM card on your phone and it would continue to function as before. If I pop the SIM card out of my AT&T phone, I am unable to use cellular data or make/receive calls.

All Verizon iPhone 5s come with a SIM card. Verizon uses the SIM for LTE and the SIM is activated along with the phone. I don't know if 3G would continue to work if you removed the SIM or not. Theoretically it would... but I don't know if anyone has tried this.

zim2411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2004
Hmm... It's good that Apple pushed an update for Verizon phones. Has that fixed things for most people?

I'm on AT&T with my 4S... but my usage has dropped significantly. I haven't really had any major spikes in a while. (Although I had 33 MB yesterday with some light maps usage, and Spotify offline in my car again. That does seem a little high.) Maybe my usage was a fluke. :confused:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
All Verizon iPhone 5s come with a SIM card. Verizon uses the SIM for LTE and the SIM is activated along with the phone. I don't know if 3G would continue to work if you removed the SIM or not. Theoretically it would... but I don't know if anyone has tried this.

I didn't realize LTE required the SIM. The Verizon iPhone 4 and 4s will continue to work if the SIM card is removed. I think it is required when the phone is activated though.

salalone

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
I'm in Canada, using Rogers, iPhone 4, iOS6 since Sep 20th or so. I have received notices that I'm over, which I KNOW isn't possible without there being an error.

I took these screen shots of my phone just by opening and closing the usage page on my phone. Note that I'm on wifi and the time stamps... I can't understand why this is happening.

ROgers doesn't believe me or care; they told me to turn my data off.

iphone data usage.jpg

Last edited:

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
I didn't realize LTE required the SIM. The Verizon iPhone 4 and 4s will continue to work if the SIM card is removed. I think it is required when the phone is activated though.

I'm not positive, but I think the SIM card on the 4 and 4s is for use in international markets. The SIM card on the iPhone 5 is required.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
try: onavo extend from itunes...

I have no idea if it really works, someone with some technical knowledge should try it out... since the decreasing of the data allocation in this ******** from 12GB to 4GB although I do not use much data, its nice to be able to keep data usage low, if possible. LTE is useless because it uses too much battery so I keep it off.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
verizon phones now have sim cards because of the new technology (LTE).

I've been saying all along that the shtuff was gonna hit the fan when data usage figures came out. A lot of people didn't believe me. They said it's the same data just faster. I said OKAYYYYY we'll see... I've been on a 4G thunderbolt for a year and a half now I know how much data gets eaten up by LTE. these data capped plans are ridiculously absurd considering the speed of consumption with this technology. When the original iphone came out unlimited data cost $20 per month and the most any user could possibly use on edge at the time was a few hundred megs. Now 2 GB cost $100/month on these data share plans and that can be burned in minutes on LTE. It's GREED by the cell companies and has to be stopped

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
verizon phones now have sim cards because of the new technology (LTE).

I've been saying all along that the shtuff was gonna hit the fan when data usage figures came out. A lot of people didn't believe me. They said it's the same data just faster. I said OKAYYYYY we'll see... I've been on a 4G thunderbolt for a year and a half now I know how much data gets eaten up by LTE. these data capped plans are ridiculously absurd considering the speed of consumption with this technology. When the original iphone came out unlimited data cost $20 per month and the most any user could possibly use on edge at the time was a few hundred megs. Now 2 GB cost $100/month on these data share plans and that can be burned in minutes on LTE. It's GREED by the cell companies and has to be stopped

some of us are not couch potatoes and don't watch netflix or youtube for hours at a time

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
It really is a problem with phones other than the Verizon model, i can confirm its a problem with (at least my) AT&T models. Since i got it on the 27th, i downloaded 966mb. I've been using it a lot (LTE is super, super fast) but theres no way i used that much in that little time on LTE. I downloaded large files, but that was on WiFi though.

connectskate

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
I'm in Canada, using Rogers, iPhone 4, iOS6 since Sep 20th or so. I have received notices that I'm over, which I KNOW isn't possible without there being an error.

I took these screen shots of my phone just by opening and closing the usage page on my phone. Note that I'm on wifi and the time stamps... I can't understand why this is happening.

ROgers doesn't believe me or care; they told me to turn my data off.

View attachment 365378

This is happening to me too right now. Seems to only stop when I turn off cellular data. I was told to try resetting all settings, which didn't work, so now to try their next suggestion, which is to wipe the whole phone. We'll see, I guess.

mape2k

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Germany
I am in Germany on T-Mobile with an iPhone 4S and iOS 6 and watched my cellular usage the past couple of days while on Wi-Fi at home after I saw this thread. Can't see any problem, cellular usage is as expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.