Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
So, I go to my local ExxonMobil station in small town Texas, booted up the Speedpass+ app and it asked which pump. I poked #9 on my screen and I was ready to pump after the quick fingerprint scan.
Very Cool.
All was done before I opened my door.
It was more convenient than swiping a credit card and standing outside inputting options and zip code etc while standing at the pump.
After the fingerprint scan, I opened the gas tank, chose the grade of fuel and filled up.
Even though I would prefer the pure Apple Pay experience, this was very close and definitely enjoyable to me.

Reactions: Weaselboy

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Used the app again today to fill the BMW (aka Wife-mobile). This time I used Apple Pay and it was just as fast as using the ExxonMobil card in the app.

Best part was that I got a haptic and a Notification ON MY APPLE WATCH telling me a receipt was ready. So cool!

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
I've been thinking about this. Usually we swipe quickly and put away our card, but then wait a little while for the actual confirmation to come back.

Perhaps a chip card authentication is close to the same time, but it's the fact that we have to wait with the card in the slot that makes it seem longer?

I've thought about this too, and I do believe the transaction actually takes longer. The 7-Elevens in my neighborhood just enabled their chip readers, and the transactions are DEFINITELY taking about 10 seconds longer. Previously, the time from swipe to approved was roughly 5 seconds. Now it's closer to 15.

I just came back from a business trip to Spain. Europe has enforced chip reading for quite some time, and the charging processes at the vast number of restaurants and shops I visited are definitely faster than with 7-Eleven here. That's interesting to me considering American Express is validating the expense in both cases.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Used the app out of town to find the nearest station that worked with the service. I used it locally fine prior to travel. Anyhow, reached the station after a drive past other brand stations to receive an error that said the app could not communicate with the pump at this time. Tried again and same error. I will try again as I travel but so far 50/50 in my two uses.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Had the opportunity to use the app for the first time but was unsuccessful. Not looking good for a first impression. Will try again next time.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    797.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Anyone having trouble with the speedpass+ app today? I took my wife's car to gas up and could not log into the app. I got a spinning gear, then a message "Network Error - the network is currently unavailable, please check your cellular...."
I had to use my credit card at the pump.
The first time I tried it, the app worked just fine.
Is the app buggie?
UPDATE - The following day, I checked the app and it was fine. Their server must have been down.
Another Update two weeks later - I have use this app three more times flawlessly. I love it.

Last edited:

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I tried at two more locations this weekend while traveling and both times a message said no connection to the Speedpass system. So far my tally is 1 pass, 4 fails. I will keep trying but really poor luck so far finding stations that have it together.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I really want to use this system, but the closest station is just a little out of the way - the Mobil station nearest me has "SpeedPass+" stickers on the pumps with QR codes, but the app refuses to load the "I'm at a station" mode or let me scan them...I also saw this at one in Bloomington...perhaps those are being enabled soon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.