Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moved to XR from X/XS/XS Max due to Eye Strain. Do you still have eye strain on the XR?

• No, believe the no-PWM from the LCD screen solved my issue

Votes: 109 34.9%
  • Yes, still have eye strain.

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Yes, still have eye strain. However, the strain stopped once I covered the 'Notch' FaceID

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • No, you guys are crazy!

Votes: 150 48.1%

• Total voters

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
I didn't have a problem with the 2018 iPad Pro. Does that suggest I'd be OK with the 2020 SE or the 11 (not pro)?

hannesjo1

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
Germany
Hi, since I suffer from the same symptoms as many others here, I wanted to ask what you are planning to do? Wait and hope Apple will fix it at some point? Or maybe try your luck with an Android phone? It is really disappointing to see the new iPhones and iPads and to know that you will not be able to use them. At the moment my iPhone 8+ still works great, but I'm starting to get a taste for something new.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Hi, since I suffer from the same symptoms as many others here, I wanted to ask what you are planning to do? Wait and hope Apple will fix it at some point? Or maybe try your luck with an Android phone? It is really disappointing to see the new iPhones and iPads and to know that you will not be able to use them. At the moment my iPhone 8+ still works great, but I'm starting to get a taste for something new.

My plan is to stick with the 11 until OLED/MicroLED technology has moved forward enough to get rid of the flickering or at least to reduce it to a point where it's not a problem anymore, which would be less than 5-10% flicker and ideally with a smooth curve. I also have a plan to bring this issue to light, but I can't say too much about that yet.

Reactions: bsmr

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
In my experience, yeah, you should be fine with those.

So I got an 11 to replace the 6s I have. The screen doesn't bother me in the way OLED screens do, but it doesn't seem the same as the 6s. If I disable tru-tone and night mode (how my 6s is set up - it doesn't even have True Tone) it seems OK, but a bit more "clinical" looking than the 6s. The True Tone seems to be a little irritating. I wonder, would the SE screen be more what I am used to on the 6s? Or is there a way to adjust the 11 to be more like the older LCDs?

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I'm sticking with the 2020SE. I love the size of the phone and am not sure I even want a bigger one again! Read somewhere 2022 will be a new SE so as of now I'm planning to wait on that one!!

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA
I was thinking of creating an anonymous google survey form for us to nail down some specifics about this issue, what kinds of questions would be most useful? I want to respect privacy, so I‘m not sure how in-depth to go. Here’s a rough draft of what I have so far:
-Which devices do you have trouble with?
-How long does it take to develop symptoms after using a flickering device?
-How long do your symptoms last after using a flickering device?
-Where is your discomfort located? (Temple, above eyes, below eyes, etc)
-How long have you had this issue?
-Roughly, how long do you spend on screens per day?
-Do you use eye drops/corrective glasses/warm compresses/filtered glasses (If so, do they provide any relief?)
-Do you have issues with PWM only? Or do you also have issues with certain non-PWM screens?

Does anyone have any suggestions for helpful questions? I’d ideally like to circulate this within this thread, the X eye strain thread, the Mac eye strain thread, etc and see if there’s some kind of common underlying factor.

As soon as I get a finalized list of questions, I’ll create the survey and post it here.

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA
I was thinking of creating an anonymous google survey form for us to nail down some specifics about this issue, what kinds of questions would be most useful? I want to respect privacy, so I‘m not sure how in-depth to go. Here’s a rough draft of what I have so far:
-Which devices do you have trouble with?
-How long does it take to develop symptoms after using a flickering device?
-How long do your symptoms last after using a flickering device?
-Where is your discomfort located? (Temple, above eyes, below eyes, etc)
-How long have you had this issue?
-Roughly, how long do you spend on screens per day?
-Do you use eye drops/corrective glasses/warm compresses/filtered glasses (If so, do they provide any relief?)
-Do you have issues with PWM only? Or do you also have issues with certain non-PWM screens?

Does anyone have any suggestions for helpful questions? I’d ideally like to circulate this within this thread, the X eye strain thread, the Mac eye strain thread, etc and see if there’s some kind of common underlying factor.

As soon as I get a finalized list of questions, I’ll create the survey and post it here.
Hey all,

I finished the survey, (Thanks to MichaelSD for assisting with some questions :D ) The goal is to help us catalog our issues and potentially identify some kind of pattern or solution. If you have the time, it'd be really helpful if you guys could fill it out. As soon as we have a good amount of responses, I can post the data so we can discuss the results.

I've also cross-posted this in a few other eye strain threads (The X, & MacBook strain ones) to see if there's some kind of common link. If we get enough data, perhaps we could share it with Apple directly?

Last edited:

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Hey all,

I finished the survey, (Thanks to MichaelSD for assisting with some questions :D ) The goal is to help us catalog our issues and potentially identify some kind of pattern or solution. If you have the time, it'd be really helpful if you guys could fill it out. As soon as we have a good amount of responses, I can post the data so we can discuss the results.

I've also cross-posted this in a few other eye strain threads (The X, & MacBook strain ones) to see if there's some kind of common link. If we get enough data, perhaps we could share it with Apple directly?

I don’t think anything will come of this, but I’ll take part in it and I thank you for your time

Nahab

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2021
I believe it comes from the poor thin background white. In addition, thin fonts and the too bright light ... but I also have problems with all lcd.
I have an xr now but i can't find a good setting

Nahab

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2021
What do you think of these settings?

Attachments

• 123D1170-94C5-4FC6-ACCD-626BDC869542.png
    123D1170-94C5-4FC6-ACCD-626BDC869542.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 4037F13C-AB4C-4FBC-9CD6-AF7C3FA359BD.png
    4037F13C-AB4C-4FBC-9CD6-AF7C3FA359BD.png
    190.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 8EE6064C-548D-4F39-B35D-DF911BBC30A5.png
    8EE6064C-548D-4F39-B35D-DF911BBC30A5.png
    284.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 55E9A3D3-523A-41C4-BC9F-231B9E34E743.png
    55E9A3D3-523A-41C4-BC9F-231B9E34E743.png
    549.9 KB · Views: 105
  • EEF8CAFF-AD97-4190-9673-09A5EB3FD9AD.png
    EEF8CAFF-AD97-4190-9673-09A5EB3FD9AD.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 76D2BF4B-AE07-46C0-9D5D-6093D8E7720B.png
    76D2BF4B-AE07-46C0-9D5D-6093D8E7720B.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 98

murtatha06

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2020
Nice posting, those are on-point observations! I can relate with most of it except for IPad Air 3. Also, I do not exclude that the high gloss of apple screen worsens the symptoms. Having an antiglare screenprotector on my iphone 8 plus makes a difference.

I tested many screens in the last years. If I were to make a classification I would say:

Good - Normal Eye tiredness after very extended sessions
Dell Latitude
Dell XPS
HP Zbook15
HP monitors
Iphone 6s
Sony LCD TV

Decent - Eye strain after extended sessions
Iphone 8 Plus
Ipad Air

Bad - Eye strain after short periods
Iphone 11/XR
Macbook Air 2020

Killer - Debilitating after short period
IphoneXSMax

Watching this list, it seems the only explanation is temporal dithering, though not sure if the chip is the main cause. It seems to me that it is consistently related with the display itself

The macbook air 2020 is the latest I tried out (couple of weeks ago), after a few hours I had to lay down and sleep a bit as I felt sick. I then exchanged it with an XPS 13, and dear god, isn't this thing beautiful?
Normal tiredness after a full day of work and entertainment , but without that debilitating fatigue caused by apple screen. Now, if only dell were to make good phones and tablets :D

I am even considering selling the ipad as I can probably just do everything with the xps
What dell screen in xps 13 you have full hd configration has pwm below 20% 10gen

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Want a good test to see if temporal dithering gives you a headache? This website uses dithering to make an image impossible to screenshot, and it will be more apparent the brighter your screen, and worse when you look away and back at it (it's less worse of you look directly at it).

I found that the lower the screen brightness the less the dithering effect, and less headache.

****warning it may trigger eye sensitivity and epilepsy , and someone said it messed up their monitor for a few hours. ***

Last edited:

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
Has anyone not been able to tolerate the 11 but been ok with the SE 2020? I have an 11 but I keep going back to my 6s because the screen is easier on my eyes. I’ve tried disabling True Tone, didn’t really help.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Has anyone not been able to tolerate the 11 but been ok with the SE 2020? I have an 11 but I keep going back to my 6s because the screen is easier on my eyes. I’ve tried disabling True Tone, didn’t really help.

I had to sell my 11 after a month or so after my headaches went up quite a bit. After that I mostly used the SE 2020 with various Androids without issues. I thought it was FaceID with the 11, but I can’t say for sure because I picked up the 12 mini from a nice sale three weeks ago just to see if I could live with it at all and to my surprise it’s been quite OK so far. I did turn off attention aware features right away and now I try to avoid using my phone in complete darkness.

Reactions: asus389

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
I had to sell my 11 after a month or so after my headaches went up quite a bit. After that I mostly used the SE 2020 with various Androids without issues. I thought it was FaceID with the 11, but I can’t say for sure because I picked up the 12 mini from a nice sale three weeks ago just to see if I could live with it at all and to my surprise it’s been quite OK so far. I did turn off attention aware features right away and now I try to avoid using my phone in complete darkness.

Yeah I disabled Face ID also. Or I thought I did. According to:

To disable Face ID, open Settings > Face ID & Passcode, and tap Reset Face ID.

Previously I had thought I disabled it by disabling attention aware features, disabling apps requested use of it, and telling it to use passcode instead. But that document says you actually have to reset it to disable it. Even though I wasn’t using to unlock my phone, I had set it up when I originally got my phone. Seems like I may have been wrong? Before I reset it, it seemed to still use it when authenticating system settings like the passwords for safari. ?‍♂️

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA

That’s encouraging about the mini. Had you had PWM issues with previous oled iphones?

Ancalarax

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2021
Want a good test to see if temporal dithering gives you a headache? This website uses dithering to make an image impossible to screenshot, and it will be more apparent the brighter your screen, and worse when you look away and back at it (it's less worse of you look directly at it).

I found that the lower the screen brightness the less the dithering effect, and less headache.

Dude I opened that page and now my monitor seem to have that effect permanently on that specific place no matter whats on the screen. I even tried to turn the monitor on and off, and even tried restarting my PC. WHAT THE ****?? Is there a solution to this or my monitor is permanently damaged now?

Edit: After a few hours it seems to have subsided, atleast its no longer visible.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Dude I opened that page and now my monitor seem to have that effect permanently on that specific place no matter whats on the screen. I even tried to turn the monitor on and off, and even tried restarting my PC. WHAT THE ****?? Is there a solution to this or my monitor is permanently damaged now?

Edit: After a few hours it seems to have subsided, atleast its no longer visible.
Dude! I’m sorry that happened! Glad it fixed itself though. Maybe that’s why we don’t see that dithering affect on more online images to prevent screenshots (which is what the page is demonstrating).

Ancalarax

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2021
Dude! I’m sorry that happened! Glad it fixed itself though. Maybe that’s why we don’t see that dithering affect on more online images to prevent screenshots (which is what the page is demonstrating).
Its alright man. Sorry if my reaction was too rude. Im kinda distraught rn been wanting to purchase a new smartphone for over a year now since my iPhone SE 2016 started losing battery fast. I have had to sell or return multiple smartphones since then and I still haven't found a replacement. And the thought that my monitor was also screwed in the moment made me real upset. Fk these companies and their priorities of making the most eyecandy marketable displays at the cost of people's health.

Last edited:
Reactions: JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Its alright man. Sorry if my reaction was too rude. Im kinda distraught rn been wanting to purchase a new smartphone for over a year now since my iPhone SE 2016 started losing battery fast. I have had to sell or return multiple smartphones since then and I still haven't found a replacement. And the thought that my monitor was also screwed in the moment made me real upset. Fk these companies and their priorities of making the most eyecandy marketable displays at the cost of people's health.
My thoughts exactly. They make the pretty colors but it’s tough on some eyes.

oh and no worries! I didn’t take it as rude. Internet forums have way worse reactions. Lol. And you had know personal attacks in your post :)

Reactions: Ancalarax
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.