Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScruffyTheMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2005
Massachusetts
ElGato has introduced a major new version of the EyeTV software, version 2.0.

Looks nice - redesigned GUI, integrated program guide, intelligible file names in the finder, lots more.

Unfortunately, they're charging $49 for it. I'm sure I'll be buying anyway.

ScruffyTheMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2005
Massachusetts
Just noticed this:

Introductory Offer: $49.00
Regular Price: $79.00​

Can't find a date for this offer to expire . . . .

EDIT: from article on macworld.com:

EyeTV 2 is available for $49 until March 31, 2006. Afterward it will go up to $79. Users who bought EyeTV hardware or software after Dec. 1, 2005 are entitled to a free update.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
ScruffyTheMac said:
Just noticed this:

Introductory Offer: $49.00
Regular Price: $79.00​

Can't find a date for this offer to expire . . . .

March, I think, possibly the 31st - I'll check the site later. :)

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
ScruffyTheMac said:
EyeTV 2 is available for $49 until March 31, 2006. Afterward it will go up to $79. Users who bought EyeTV hardware or software after Dec. 1, 2005 are entitled to a free update.

Groovy - free for me hopefully! :)

Looks like Toast 7 will be a very useful adition to have, however. So a LaCie DVD writer for me, I reckon. £135 from Apple store with free shipping, d2 DVD-RW dual layer 16x with LightScribe, including Toast. Cheaper than from LaCie direct, oddly enough.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Updated now. Seems pretty good. Having access to the EPG broadcast as part of Freeview is pretty cool. The interface is much better, cleaner and more modern looking. I'm looking forward to recordings being movable, renamable etc...

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I purchased the electronic download of this yesterday and I'm still waiting for an activation key. Be warned that for some weird ass reason El Gato process these orders by hand, you don't just pay with your CC and get a key, my we got your order email says it could take up to 2 days to get the key. Lame at best imo! :rolleyes:

Nice looking software from the screenshots though, you can't even demo the software you need a key to do anything with it.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
risc said:
I purchased the electronic download of this yesterday and I'm still waiting for an activation key. Be warned that for some weird ass reason El Gato process these orders by hand, you don't just pay with your CC and get a key, my we got your order email says it could take up to 2 days to get the key. Lame at best imo! :rolleyes:

Nice looking software from the screenshots though, you can't even demo the software you need a key to do anything with it.

This is going to piss you off but I got my key in around 3 minutes after paying (in euros). It was totally automatic.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
robbieduncan said:
This is going to piss you off but I got my key in around 3 minutes after paying (in euros). It was totally automatic.

It has to do with MWSF more than anything...

Quoting the email:

Please allow up to 48 hours additional processing time during Macworld San Francisco. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Personally I don't see what an expo can have to do with them processing orders automatically, I did pay in US dollars though so that might have something to do with it?

Oh well shiet happens... waiting... waiting...

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Doesn't EyeTV only work with their hardware? If so, what's the point of charging for the software if you have to buy the hardware (at a ridiculous price at that) anyways?

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
According to elgato.com EyeTV 2 works with the following 3rd party stuff:

• TerraTec Cinergy 400/450
• Plextor ConvertX PVR
• TerraTec Cinergy T2
• Miglia EvolutionTV

I actually think that if you own original EyeTV hardware you shouldn't have to pay. If they fix their software to work on your hardware why should you pay for that? Oh well who cares I paid anyway.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
risc said:
According to elgato.com EyeTV 2 works with the following 3rd party stuff:

• TerraTec Cinergy 400/450
• Plextor ConvertX PVR
• TerraTec Cinergy T2
• Miglia EvolutionTV

I actually think that if you own original EyeTV hardware you shouldn't have to pay. If they fix their software to work on your hardware why should you pay for that? Oh well who cares I paid anyway.
That makes more sense. I just checked their website again and it says if you purchased an EyeTV this year, you get version 2 for free.

ScruffyTheMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2005
Massachusetts
robbieduncan said:
Updated now. Seems pretty good. Having access to the EPG broadcast as part of Freeview is pretty cool. The interface is much better, cleaner and more modern looking. I'm looking forward to recordings being movable, renamable etc...

How did it handle existing recordings in the "EyeTV Archive"? Did it convert them to the new 'package' format?

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
risc said:
Don't see what an expo can have to do with them processing orders automatically, I did pay in US dollars though so that might have something to do with it?

They are a small company based out of SF, so I have a feeling they have everyone working at the Expo, including the people that package the software. Those people may not be technicians, but I'm sure they can use them.

Anyways, my software already shipped.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Got my serial but the Australia TV EPQ stuff doesn't work correctly, I've logged a support call on it so here's hoping it's an easy fix since I'm paying for my TV EPQs. :D

Synapple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2004
Rome, Italy
ScruffyTheMac said:
EDIT: from article on macworld.com:

Do you know where to download the free update? I have bought my eye tv on Dec but can't find anything on this on their site...

gogoman

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2003
At times like these it really pays to be a graphic designer. Don't think you should have to pay for such an update. A little creative tinkering with the dates on you eyeTV invoice and fax it over. Received the update 2 hours later.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
gogoman said:
At times like these it really pays to be a graphic designer. Don't think you should have to pay for such an update. A little creative tinkering with the dates on you eyeTV invoice and fax it over. Received the update 2 hours later.

Wow. Defrauding a relatively small independent company who support the Mac platform.

You must be a great person to be friends with.

This sort of attitude is really sickening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.