Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I've not been able to find a definitive answer, and I'm under a bit of a time constraint here...

Is this possible?

Cable TV -> TiVo -> EveTV Hybrid -> Mac Pro

Basically, can a normal TiVo setup be played in realtime/captured on a Mac Pro via EyeTV Hybrid?

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Why do you need a Tivo and EyeTV?

I suppose what you want is possible, but you would only be able to record the same thing on both recorders at the same time...not two different shows.

This is possible I suppose if you go cable into the Tivo, composite video out to EyeTV, UBS out to Mac Pro.

But again, why?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
To answer your original question, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The EyeTV takes standard cable input, and the TiVo provides such input.

Are you thinking of using the EyeTV to capture recorded content? I guess I just don't see what the benefit would be, as it's pretty easy to pull recorded TiVo shows onto a Mac. If you just want to record stuff that's coming through the TiVo, I'm really confused.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
One of my clients is the News Office of a major medical center. They have 3 TiVos set up to constantly record the 3 local news channels. Very often the medical center VIPs like to have clips from the News sent to them when there are clips that deal with the aforementioned major medical center. As far as I can tell, EyeTV cannot be set up to record at a specified time, nor can it record 3 separate channels simultaneously. What I need is an easy way to get content from multiple TiVos to 1 Mac Pro for content editing and clip creation to place on a centralized site for the Chancellor and Deans/Vice-Deans to have quick access to.

Is content from TiVo2Go proprietary, as in it needs to be played via a TiVo-released software interface on the Mac? Or is it an MPEG file that can be edited directly via QuicktimePro/etc? I can't seem to find that info right at the moment.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
TiVoDecode Manager allows you to pull mpeg files off of a TiVo box onto a Mac. It's free.

However, it will only be able to transfer recorded shows - meaning those that you've selected to be recorded. If the TiVo is on, it's always recording, but those aren't accessible via this software.

Edit: It finds TiVo boxes via IP addresses, so I would think that if you can ping it, you can get it with this application.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Hrm.. so it's Series 2 only. I'm not sure if they are Series 2 or 3.

Well, this is why I asked about EyeTV to record the content.
I want a workable solution that will not break if TiVo decied to update the OS on their boxes or whatever.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Why Not Hook Up 3 EyeTVs for $450

One of my clients is the News Office of a major medical center. They have 3 TiVos set up to constantly record the 3 local news channels. Very often the medical center VIPs like to have clips from the News sent to them when there are clips that deal with the aforementioned major medical center. As far as I can tell, EyeTV cannot be set up to record at a specified time, nor can it record 3 separate channels simultaneously. What I need is an easy way to get content from multiple TiVos to 1 Mac Pro for content editing and clip creation to place on a centralized site for the Chancellor and Deans/Vice-Deans to have quick access to.

Is content from TiVo2Go proprietary, as in it needs to be played via a TiVo-released software interface on the Mac? Or is it an MPEG file that can be edited directly via QuicktimePro/etc? I can't seem to find that info right at the moment.

As far as I can tell, EyeTV cannot be set up to record at a specified time, nor can it record 3 separate channels simultaneously.
WRONG. It Can And Does 99% of the time for all the owners. Who told you that? I schedule and record two shows simultaneously all the time with an EyeTV 500 and a Hybrid. Three Hybrids can be programmed to record three shows simultaneously very easily.

First off you make no mention of analog or digital channels. Second, why bother with a Tivo at all when all you have to do is attach an antenna with a splitter to 3 different EyeTV Hybrids into a 4 port USB2 hub into one of your Mac Pro's USB2 ports and record all 3 newscasts simultaneously using the DIGITAL channels NOT the analog channels right off the air. I should get a consulting fee for this. You don't need a Tivo and you don't need cable. All you need is an antenna and 3 Hybrids.

You also fail to tell us what market you are in and what stations you need to record. They are all simultaneously transmitting digital by now you know.

Then you can simply extract the packages you want to keep and delete the rest. It's the "Save clip as recording" Command in edit mode. Have you bothered to read the EyeTV Documentation?

Once you get your packages together for each day, drag them to Toast 8 and burn a DVD or a DVD IMAGE with settings on minimum compression-maximum quality. Starting with digital off air recordings will yield much higher quality DVDs. Don't need DVDs. No Problem. Just serve the DVD Images instead. Or you can rip mp4 files with Handbrake from the DVD Images. I do it every day effortlessly.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
WRONG. It Can And Does 99% of the time for all the owners. Who told you that? I schedule and record two shows simultaneously all the time with an EyeTV 500 and a Hybrid. Three Hybrids can be programmed to record three shows simultaneously very easily.

First off you make no mention of analog or digital channels. Second, why bother with a Tivo at all when all you have to do is attach an antenna with a splitter to 3 different EyeTV Hybrids into a 4 port USB2 hub into one of your Mac Pro's USB2 ports and record all 3 newscasts simultaneously using the DIGITAL channels NOT the analog channels right off the air. I should get a consulting fee for this. You don't need a Tivo and you don't need cable. All you need is an antenna and 3 Hybrids.

You also fail to tell us what market you are in and what stations you need to record. They are all simultaneously transmitting digital by now you know.

Then you can simply extract the packages you want to keep and delete the rest. It's the "Save clip as recording" Command in edit mode. Have you bothered to read the EyeTV Documentation?

Once you get your packages together for each day, drag them to Toast 8 and burn a DVD or a DVD IMAGE with settings on minimum compression-maximum quality. Starting with digital off air recordings will yield much higher quality DVDs. Don't need DVDs. No Problem. Just serve the DVD Images instead. Or you can rip mp4 files with Handbrake from the DVD Images. I do it every day effortlessly.

For starters, I could have done without the snide undertone of your post.

To continue, the Elgato site makes no mention of EyeTV 2 software being set up to record programs.

Further, I do not want to have to spend more money to replace 3 TiVos with 3 more EyeTVs.

And finally, I am not a media person. I am the lone Mac person in a huge Medical Center environment that has just inherited a Windows department that is now switching to Mac. I have no idea what their setups are, and this question was asked to me in passing by the VP of the News Office today. I'm simply trying to take stock in what is available while I'm in a meeting. I don't currently have time to pay attention to what is going on and scour the internet for exactly what I want to know. Hence, me asking here.

So, please feel free to get off your high media horse and submit your consulting fee to me. I assure you, the check is in the mail.

:rolleyes:

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I'm Not On Any High Horse. $450 Is Not A Lot For Success

For starters, I could have done without the snide undertone of your post.

To continue, the Elgato site makes no mention of EyeTV 2 software being set up to record programs.

Further, I do not want to have to spend more money to replace 3 TiVos with 3 more EyeTVs.

And finally, I am not a media person. I am the lone Mac person in a huge Medical Center environment that has just inherited a Windows department that is now switching to Mac. I have no idea what their setups are, and this question was asked to me in passing by the VP of the News Office today. I'm simply trying to take stock in what is available while I'm in a meeting. I don't currently have time to pay attention to what is going on and scour the internet for exactly what I want to know. Hence, me asking here.

So, please feel free to get off your high media horse and submit your consulting fee to me. I assure you, the check is in the mail.

:rolleyes:
This page explains many of the features in depth. But your point is well taken and I have just notified them of the problem with their product descriptions. You are right. They've blown explaining that completely. Sell the Tivo and buy two more EyeTV Hybrids. And I am not on any high horse in spite of what you may think.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR

I skimmed it already.

This is all it has to say about the subject:

Browse and search the Program Guide offline
Even when there is no Internet connection or TV signal, you can view EyeTV 2’s Program Guide, search for shows, and schedule recordings!

Is THAT supposed to prove to me that it can be used in place of a TiVo? 2 words and little other info? I was looking for something a little more definitive. So, they make little mention, not no mention. Way to be pedantic.

Anyway, this is moot, as I am not looking to have them REPLACE existing hardware. I am simply looking to streamline their current process of Tivo -> DVD (multiple recordings? Time & media consuming!) -> walk to Chancellor/VIPs. Which is a pointless process put in place by I have no idea whom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.