Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
As the title suggests...

I have a friend who contacts me on occasion when he's having OS X issues. He texted the other day that while trying to access enterprise email via his CAC card (mandatory) 90% of the time he opens the page he gets an error message to the effect of "f5 big-ip could not establish a link". I've tried to read about this product but am not quite sure it's purpose and/or how the hell it found its way on his MacBook. Apparently it's an Edge viewer or Vpn connection service. I'm confused!

Anyone have any idea why this would be happening? He's tried both Safari and Chrome and has no windows product on his laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
i think he is going to have to get in touch with his help desk. That product is a security suite that is centrally managed, so he'll have to get help from whoever runs it. From the error, there is definitely a problem creating the security association for the VPN or whatever it's trying to do. Could also be a faulty card or reader i guess.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
This is something for the big kids :)
F5 Big IP is a suite of networking products, that handle many tasks, like secure access, VPN, load balancing, firewall, reverse proxy, routing.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
Is it something that's running via the website you might be trying to visit or is it a product that's found its way on his laptop? I'm assuming the former. I've been reading about it but have never seen mention of it on my laptop and we use the same enterprise email service

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
Very strange he's seeing this stuff when trying to browse to websites

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There's lots of possibiblities.
Your friend's issue is likely related to the CAC card login. The login may try to connect to services that are not available from his location. He will need to contact whoever handles that login. That's likely where the F5 Big-IP issue comes from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.