Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yapping with the next seat neighbor is usually a few minutes affair, I have seen people who just 'hang out' on the phone... for hours

"Usually" a few minutes affair? Most people don't 'hang out' on their phones for hours either. If you haven't experienced two people talking loudly during an entire 2+ hour flight--either next to you or behind you--then you just haven't quite flown enough yet. Give it some time. Next thing you're going to tell me is that the screaming baby on a flight is just a myth...:rolleyes:

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
They either need to allow PED usage under 10,000 feet, or... Allowing PEDs is probably going to be the more popular option :p

YES! This x1000!

*rapidly and repeatedly clicks "up vote"*
*checks elevation for mountain stages of Tour de France*

-Lance Armstrong

/low hanging fruit:eek:

Jiggaburns

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
It really is pathetic that people can't go without there devices, it's more about people paying attention to safety briefings they sit there ignoring the info given to them believing they know everything already, but then proceed to have no idea even when the seat belt signs are on!? Letting them use there phones even more beggars belief:(

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
This is fantastic news! As a frequent flyer, these rules have always been rather annoying.

I read somewhere that every domestic flight has, on average, 3 cell phones that are still completely powered on and transmitting.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
It really is pathetic that people can't go without there devices, it's more about people paying attention to safety briefings they sit there ignoring the info given to them believing they know everything already, but then proceed to have no idea even when the seat belt signs are on!? Letting them use there phones even more beggars belief:(
Srsly?

If you've been on an airplane any time in the last 20 years, you already know all the information they give you during that safety briefing. The people who travel regularly for work (or whatever reason) can probably recite this safety speech by memory.

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Norway

Everyone doesn't have that problem. I fly a lot and welcome this change. Means I get to listen to music during taxi and safety briefings, which I've had for every conceivable commercial airplane anyway. First thing I ever do when getting in my seat is putting the seat belt on. When you travel alone all the time, earbuds is a must!

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Everyone doesn't have that problem. I fly a lot and welcome this change. Means I get to listen to music during taxi and safety briefings, which I've had for every conceivable commercial airplane anyway. First thing I ever do when getting in my seat is putting the seat belt on. When you travel alone all the time, earbuds is a must!

The noise cancelling headphones I use were a worthwhile investment. And now I can keep them on the entire flight even though they have an on/off switch.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Should I admit that I've been doing this already? This myth was busted years ago, though I'm glad I won't have to hide my earbuds in my shirt anymore.

I've been doing this with my scanner since 2000. Yes, a scanner, as I like listening to ATC (student pilot and huge fan of LiveATC.net). Scanners don't transmit either, nor have they ever interfered with the flight deck or pilot to ATC communications.

I honestly hope Airlines keep throttling wifi so that people don't use it for voice over IP call. Imagine sitting next to somonechatting away on Viber or Skype throughout the flight

WiFi has always been up to the discretion of the airline, just like your personal router and WiFi connection. They know what to allow and block, as it has its own firewall.

What's the difference between that and yapping incessantly with their seatmate?

You actually have to possess the personal and social skills to talk to the person next to you; something that is slowly dying, thanks to texting, Facebook, and smartphones.

What's the difference between "below 10,000 ft" and "during actual take-off and landing roll?" which per the text is the new rule?

for departures, once the door is shut, you can't pull them out or do anything with them at all until you've reached 10000ft MSL. For arrivals, they tell you when you have to stow them away and can't be used until you've rolled out, exited the runway, and the FA tells you you can use them.

Also, it says "put away books and magazines," does that mean print ones as well? And the graphic says "put away heavy devices" but the text doesn't mention this. How much does a heavy device weigh?

That would be part of the crew member instructions you are required to comply with, per the FARs. I'll look up which section, but I believe it is either in Part 91 or Part 121.

This is all so vague, it's worse than the old rules.

Not really.. you're making it harder than it really appears. :)

What about VOIP or facetime/skype like apps?

Every flight I've been on, they've only allowed what they have for their entertainment, port 80, and port 443. Nothing else. Again, varies from airline to airline. But most block the ports VOIP apps like Skype, Facetime, Vonage, Fring, etc., use.

Do airlines block VOIP from their Wifi? I always assumed I could fire up my magicjack app on my iPhone at 39,000 feet and make a call but I never have because I didn't want to be "that guy".

Yes, they do. They have a FAQ in their inflight magazines as to what is allowed if WiFi is available on their flight. This is why it is up to the carriers to get their butts in gear.

BL.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

See, what's completely dense about these comments is that during a flight (when you are trapped and cramped) is the BEST time ever created for using an electronic device to read or play music or whatever. Many people have bought portable DVD players, Kindles, etc for the explicit purpose of giving them something to do during this complete "down-time" on a plane.

Now, you want to make this comment about a specific time in everyone's life to NOT use devices? How about when driving. I'll support that completely.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
What's the difference between that and yapping incessantly with their seatmate?

Because between the microphone picking up the engine noise, the latency and general slowness and unreliability of airplane WiFi, there's going to be a lot of "WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! CAN YOU REPEAT THAT! SORRY, YOU'RE BREAKING UP, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU JUST SAID!" that you don't have when conversing with a seat mate.

----------

Preventing device use isn't going to prevent people from ignoring the safety briefing. I ignore them just fine without listening to music. I've flown enough that I could probably give the safety demo.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Because between the microphone picking up the engine noise, the latency and general slowness and unreliability of airplane WiFi, there's going to be a lot of "WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! CAN YOU REPEAT THAT! SORRY, YOU'RE BREAKING UP, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU JUST SAID!" that you don't have when conversing with a seat mate.

An example of my experience is two guys sitting immediately behind me, a little boozed up probably, talking loudly to each other like long lost friends. The entire flight. I don't know how annoying that is for you but I find that just as annoying as what you've described. Do my noise-cancelling headphones save the day? Nope. They perform wonderfully in drowning out the engine noise so that I can hear their conversation crystal clear.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Srsly?

If you've been on an airplane any time in the last 20 years, you already know all the information they give you during that safety briefing..

Yes, but if you're absorbed in your electronic device at that time, you won't hear any of that information. And you won't hear the opportunity to buy a cheap pair of airline headphones.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
"After several million dollars worth of research, and months of deliberations by people who have much more important work to do, your government has determined that it is now officially safe to do what you already do.

Love, the Government"

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scanners don't transmit either, nor have they ever interfered with the flight deck or pilot to ATC communications.

Actually, scanners do transmit, albeit at a very low power level. All superheterodyne receivers have local oscillators.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_oscillator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheterodyne_receiver
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheterodyne_receiver#Local_oscillator_radiation

Depending on the level of shielding in your receiver, the sensitivity of the other receiver, and the selectivity of the other receiver, it can potentially interfere with another receiver's reception.

Many years ago, I picked up a spurious signal in the 144 MHz band while tuning my SSB transceiver: a periodic "chirp". After doing some investigation, I realized that the interval between the chirps was the same as the interval my scanner required to scan all the programmed channels. I turned off the scanner, and the chirp disappeared.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I fly all the time. The rule is actually from the point they seal the main door until 10,000 feet you are not allowed to use any electronic device. So if they seal the door, and you're in line to take off for 2 hours, you can stare at your iPad but you can't "turn it on".

On the way down it's the same, from 10,000 down until the main door is unsealed. So if you land and taxi but, say the airline cheaped out on gate fees and has a few less gates, then you get to sit on the tarmac and stare at your iPad but not "turn it on."

I fly Delta multiple times a week, every week, and agree it's a huge deal, and very welcome. Maybe this is airline specific since I've only flown Delta the last 17 years, and you're right about after the door closes on push back, but they DO currently allow devices to be on as soon as the wheels touch at landing.

Votekinky06

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
I don't fly much, but weren't you always allowed to use these devices with the exception of during takeoff and landing?

Also, how are they going to enforce that the devices are in Airplane Mode?

Not below 10000ft, and in many commuter flights this eats up half of the flight or more.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
So just to clarify, all that has changed here is that you can use electronic devices during take off and landing as well as during the flight? Because I have been flying for years, and usually about 10 minutes after take off until about 20 minutes before landing, we were allowed to use "approved electronic devices", which I thought included phones and tablets on airplane mode. So I guess the only thing this rule changes is that now we can use our devices at any time? A welcome change no doubt, but nothing earth shattering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.