Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
How is Skype and WhatsApp any different than Facebook Messenger?

It's their Hail Marry as they're getting more irrelevant and losing the 18-46 demographics.

Here's how it's different: Facebook chat isn't just Messenger. It's also going to Facebook.com on your computer and using it there. That's something Skype and WhatsApp don't do.

You can't use WhatsApp unless you have a smartphone. You can't use Skype unless you download, install and run an application on your computer or smartphone. What if you don't have a smartphone (most people don't in my country) and you don't have Skype on your computer? Not everyone is convinced by "oh just download this program, install it, and let it run every time you start your computer 24/7 just so we can sometimes maybe chat". Well chances are you still use Facebook on your computer, because all it takes is to go on a website. No need to install anything. That's why Facebook chat has beaten every other form of chat.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Facebook ruins lives. I set mine for permanent deletion, which will occur tomorrow.

Oh dang, and I just sent you a picture of a great hamburger I was having. :eek:

----------

Use Facebook's "Paper" app if you want messages built in to your client. It is also a better Facebook client in general, though it needs some tweaks for iPhone 6/6+ to make it easier to use one-handed. After getting an iPhone 6, I switched back to the regular Facebook app because Paper has notifications in the upper right hand corner which is usually opposite of my thumb.

If you are on a 5S or older or don't care about one-handed use, just use Paper. It also performs really well compared to the regular client. It was very performant even on my 4S, while the regular app was so slow it was unusable.

I actually like the separate Messenger app for one reason: you can use landscape mode. Neither the regular Facebook app nor Paper do landscape mode.

Remember the reachability feature of iP6. That's helps with this issue.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I refuse to install this app on my iPhone. If I want to read any messages I just go to the web version.

People need to be very wary of this app, especially on Android. You need to read what this app wants access too! It should be pulled as it's a clear violation of privacy.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Having Messenger as a separate app is perfect, because it allows me NOT to have the Facebook app on my iPhone :)

They should give people the choice though - it's not like they have a limited team and funds to develop this...

law0915

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
Very happy to have deactivated my account months ago and delete my Instagram account as well. Staying away from anything Facebook owned :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Very happy to have deactivated my account months ago and delete my Instagram account as well. Staying away from anything Facebook owned :)
That's like going into an iPhone thread and posting that you got rid of your Apple stuff and don't care about it anymore... Why does tthat matter to anyone else and what does it bring to the discussion?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I refuse to install this app on my iPhone. If I want to read any messages I just go to the web version.

People need to be very wary of this app, especially on Android. You need to read what this app wants access too! It should be pulled as it's a clear violation of privacy.
Not an issue on iOS. And even on Android it's been addressed in various articles as I recall.

baruch

macrumors member
May 12, 2009
Hah

My "better experience" is having deactivated my Facebook account. I am a happier person for it!

daboybk

macrumors member
May 16, 2012
I think they should have kept it how it was in the FB app but also give the option to just download the messenger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.