Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook may be developing an official Messenger desktop app for Mac, according to TechCrunch. The technology website obtained a blurry photo that allegedly shows a Facebook employee using the Messenger client on Mac, which would be easily accessible from the OS X dock as opposed to a tab in a web browser.

facebook-messenger-for-mac.jpg
Leaked photo of claimed Facebook Messenger for Mac app (Image: TechCrunch)

Messenger for Mac appears to have a navigation tab bar in the bottom left with options matching the Messenger for iOS mobile app, including Recent, Groups, People and Settings. These menu options are reportedly not found in unofficial Messenger apps, making it more likely the app is not a third-party version.

The company's goal is likely to create a standalone Messenger experience on Mac, similar to how it released a dedicated Messenger app for iOS in August 2011. But unlike when Messenger was detached from the main Facebook app on iOS in July 2014, the web version of the chat platform may remain available alongside the desktop app.
It's unclear but seemingly unlikely that Facebook would require users to chat via the desktop software instead of the website. We have no information about when or even if Facebook might release Messenger For Mac. The company often builds and internally tests apps that never ship. Still, this app seems like a smart move. Slack has proven people enjoy a dedicated desktop app for messaging. It could help Facebook box out competitors like Google, WeChat, Line, Kik, and KakaoTalk.
Facebook released a Messenger desktop app for Windows in March 2012, and said it was "busy working on Messenger for Mac" at the time, but the company discontinued its Windows app two years later and has yet to release a Mac app. Facebook also launched Messenger.com last April as a standalone web chat client.

Facebook often internally tests apps that never ship, so it remains unclear when or if Messenger for Mac will be released. A company spokesperson declined to "comment on rumor or speculation," but author Josh Constine said that is "the same boiler plate response" he has received about rumors proven true in the past.

Article Link: Facebook Messenger Desktop App for Mac Revealed in Leaked Photo

Reactions: appledefenceforce

raulrincon

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2016
Venezuela
As far as I know, it has been in beta test for a while.

I got mine from a link shared in twitter..

Last edited:

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Ugh, it stinks that they started disallowing Jabber clients to connect. Last year, I used to be able to contact all my Facebook friends (aka most people I know) just through Messages, plus people on iMessage, SMS, and AIM. It was perfect! I wish Apple would update Messages to support whatever proprietary protocol Facebook uses because I really don't want to have to run multiple messaging apps.

EddiOS42 has the right idea. They probably did it so they can get people to use their own stuff. Unfortunate.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Will the desktop app also bug you every time you open it to turn on notifications?
LOL, I was amazed when I saw that the first time. It could be worse. I've started seeing apps giving me push notifications for no good reason (e.g. "you haven't used this app in a while"). I delete stuff like that immediately. Misusing the APN service should be grounds for banishment from the App Store.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Grr, I don't want to run yet another messaging app on my computer. I liked being able to send and receive through Messages!

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleFan78

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
LOL, I was amazed when I saw that the first time. It could be worse. I've started seeing apps giving me push notifications for no good reason (e.g. "you haven't used this app in a while"). I delete stuff like that immediately. Misusing the
LOL, I was amazed when I saw that the first time. It could be worse. I've started seeing apps giving me push notifications for no good reason (e.g. "you haven't used this app in a while"). I delete stuff like that immediately. Misusing the APN service should be grounds for banishment from the App Store.

Yeah, I delete apps that do this immediately.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Tracking is needed for desktop market isn't it? For mobile market, it's been covered. I feel incomplete if no one is tracking me. For iMacs powered from mains, there will be no complaints of phantom battery drain issue. Development should be easier.

I will also leave a glowing 5 star review for weekly update change logs like "We update the app regularly so that we can make it better for you"

Facebook, Thank you very much for this.

-your die hard fan.

Bitnacht

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2016
The technology website obtained a blurry photo that allegedly shows a Facebook employee using the Messenger client on Mac […]
These menu options are reportedly not found in unofficial Messenger apps, making it more likely the app is not a third-party version.​

If you just have a screenshot and wonder what it may be, there are some other explanations you might consider. If this is really a developer working on a Messenger app for Facebook he might be running the iPad simulator in Xcode to test a new version of the iOS app.

elmaco

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2012
"Facebook scans chats and posts for criminal activity
Facebook has added sleuthing to its array of data-mining capabilities, scanning your posts and chats for criminal activity. If the social-networking giant detects suspicious behavior, it flags the content and determines if further steps, such as informing the police, are required."
http://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-scans-chats-and-posts-for-criminal-activity/

Who knows if Facebook will stop there?

Why don't they install a key logger with their Messenger app while they're at it? If you have nothing to hide

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
"Facebook scans chats and posts for criminal activity
Facebook has added sleuthing to its array of data-mining capabilities, scanning your posts and chats for criminal activity. If the social-networking giant detects suspicious behavior, it flags the content and determines if further steps, such as informing the police, are required."
http://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-scans-chats-and-posts-for-criminal-activity/

Who knows if Facebook will stop there?

Why don't they install a key logger with their Messenger app while they're at it? If you have nothing to hide
What are you saying that you want to hide so badly? I usually don't say anything on FB Messenger that I wouldn't mind people hearing. At the very worst, a friend will ask about how my relationship is going or whatever, and some random person will see what I say; big deal. If anyone is reading all those mundane messages from me and all the other Facebook users, I feel bad for that person.

I'm not completely sure, but this looks to me a lot like a third-party desktop messenger client (http://messengerfordesktop.com). Although this has, as the article mentions, the navigation buttons below the conversation list.
... which also looks a lot like Messages for Mac. I'd be slightly less frustrated if it at least looked a bit different. Having two similar-looking messaging clients open reminds me of how much I'd rather just have one messaging client open.

Last edited:

eebean2

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
The messenger client Goofy is doing pretty great out here.

This is indeed the Goofy client. That was the screen you get when you lost internet connection, it updated recently and I can't get it to make that screen again. :/

advancewarsbest

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
Yeah I'm with you guys on losing Apple's Messenger Facebook capabilities. Feels like I've been thrown back into the stone ages. I've been using one of those app's that works as a messenger wrapper in the meantime until I upgrade my work computer to allow me to text everyone through the computer.

It's all because the messenger wars have started. They want to make the messenger app the central place for users. Its like this in China, where you can order food and services all while your in the chat. With Slack gaining lots of investment capital (and adding 3rd party extension abilities). I expect more and more chat services to popup and fight it out. Since it could be the break through for the next ecosystem. I'll see if I can find any of the articles and things I wrote up on the matter.

Reactions: maxsix

josefdlange

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2016
Or, you know, it's this:

https://github.com/Aluxian/Facebook-Messenger-Desktop

Or it's a browser navigated to:

https://messenger.com/

Facebook may be developing an official Messenger desktop app for Mac, according to TechCrunch. The technology website obtained a blurry photo that allegedly shows a Facebook employee using the Messenger client on Mac, which would be easily accessible from the OS X dock as opposed to a tab in a web browser.

Messenger for Mac appears to have a navigation tab bar in the bottom left with options matching the Messenger for iOS mobile app, including Recent, Groups, People and Settings. These menu options are reportedly not found in unofficial Messenger apps, making it more likely the app is not a third-party version.

The company's goal is likely to create a standalone Messenger experience on Mac, similar to how it released a dedicated Messenger app for iOS in August 2011. But unlike when Messenger was detached from the main Facebook app on iOS in July 2014, the web version of the chat platform may remain available alongside the desktop app.Facebook released a Messenger desktop app for Windows in March 2012, and said it was "busy working on Messenger for Mac" at the time, but the company discontinued its Windows app two years later and has yet to release a Mac app. Facebook also launched Messenger.com last April as a standalone web chat client.

Facebook often internally tests apps that never ship, so it remains unclear when or if Messenger for Mac will be released. A company spokesperson declined to "comment on rumor or speculation," but author Josh Constine said that is "the same boiler plate response" he has received about rumors proven true in the past.

Reactions: tob!

emb3625

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2016

The company's goal is likely to create a standalone Messenger experience on Mac, similar to how it released a dedicated Messenger app for iOS in August 2011. But unlike when Messenger was detached from the main Facebook app on iOS in July 2014, the web version of the chat platform may remain available alongside the desktop app.Facebook released a Messenger desktop app for Windows in March 2012, and said it was "busy working on Messenger for Mac" at the time, but the company discontinued its Windows app two years later and has yet to release a Mac app. Facebook also launched Messenger.com last April as a standalone web chat client.

It's pretty obvious this is the iPad app running in the Xcode simulator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.