Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
Siri is a joke at this point. Cortana, version 1 mind you, does more out of the box on day one than Siri has done in the last 3 years. I'm not sure what Apple is doing over there, but it's definitely not software inner workings of Siri.

After looking how Google Photos works automatically, I'm not sure what Apple is doing anymore to improve our lifes/save us time with software other than coming up with hardware designs.

I'd like to disagree. Siri is more accurate for me and maybe it can't do certain things, but what it does or at least what i use it for it does best.

Also if anyone knows hw to use google now to call someone on skype or hangouts id be happy hear.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
I can't see this taking off as much as Siri since people have to go into an app to use it. The beauty of Siri is it's one key press away no matter what you're doing at the moment.
Sad but true. The whole point of the digital assistant is that you can activate it super easily and without looking. Also, Siri is the only thing that can do system-wide tasks. Due to Apple's restrictions, Siri is the only thing I'll ever use.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Lol. Tin foil hat much?
Ignorance is bliss.

It's well-known. It's how Facebook delivers relevant ads to you. I'm in advertising...they routinely tout this in their capabilities presentations. It also (and mostly) applies to the regular FB app, too.

For example, I was out with a person from a mid-size niche automotive brand. We talked for hours while I occasionally messaged friends who were meeting up with us. A few hours later, my Facebook feed was full of ads for not only the exact brand, but the exact model we were discussing. I had never done a web search for that car, or the brand, or interacted with it that brand in any way.

If you look around, there is ample evidence of this. And like I said, FB is upfront about doing this behind closed doors.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Siri is a joke at this point. Cortana, version 1 mind you, does more out of the box on day one than Siri has done in the last 3 years. I'm not sure what Apple is doing over there, but it's definitely not software inner workings of Siri.

After looking how Google Photos works automatically, I'm not sure what Apple is doing anymore to improve our lifes/save us time with software other than coming up with hardware designs.
All my android friends are impressed with Siri on my phone because it's always so helpful. Google Now is essentially google with voice search. Cortana for PC is the same thing, however the phone version is much more complete. Siri has a few missing features including many that are coming in iOS 9 such as being aware of your surroundings etc. Calling Siri a joke is really just a silly thing to do. Where has all this Apple bashing come from lately anyways? If you hate them so much I really don't think this is a website for you.

Reactions: ErikGrim

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
I deleted messenger long ago when I realized it was always listening. Thats just beyond unacceptable.
I don't think you understand how information gathering works. For one thing, iOS controls what apps do with your microphone, and you can disable it from using it. Second, apps that use your microphone leave a bar up top telling you it's being used, even the ones that stop once you leave the app you can see that on for a moment when exiting the app. Lastly, if Facebook really wanted to spy on you through your phone that bad they could do it through the main Facebook app without ever having to make users download messenger.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
I've never found talking to ones phone acceptable if courtesy and respect are considered when around others. However for those who wanted to show off Siri I think it bolstered their egos.

Google Now gets my nod because it's just brilliant at learning very quickly. By typing is as little as just one word, sometimes only the first few letters it guesses precisely what I want. It takes less than a week to learn what's important as long as you use it.
agreed. i should start using google now more often. but the things i'd like to text with siri about, m and google now can't do.

"remind me to leave in 30 minutes"

"set an alarm at 5:03pm"

so much faster than going to the clunky reminders app or making a new alarm, which are alarming difficult processes on the iphone.

i mean, typing 5:03pm is so much damn faster than using that annoying wheel of numbers. oy.

Reactions: ErikGrim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.