Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyehop

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Cutting-edge design and form factor. The lines will be around the block, just like they were in 2007.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
How pathetic apple has become. Even a Facebook phone has larger display and higher resolution than an iPhone 5.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Fail!

How dumb. Facebook should just stick to making better Apps for iOS and Android.... why join a already crowded market space with something that is not their expertise???? Makes no sense... it's like jumping on the band wagon.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Just another Android phone. Definitely not going to outshine Samsung.

At least Facebook wasn't stupid enough to make their own OS.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
This phone isn't going to compete with the iPhone at all. However, apple better watch out for the Galaxy S4, because that phone is better than any leaked info about the iPhone 5S, and much more than the iPhone 5

It is? How so? I still laugh when I see people using their S3 and watching the UI stutter and drop frames.

----------

How dumb. Facebook should just stick to making better Apps for iOS and Android.... why join a already crowded market space with something that is not their expertise???? Makes no sense... it's like jumping on the band wagon.

Maybe the same reason Google, Amazon, and Microsoft have.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Facebook making a phone is a waste of time. Stick to making a better mobile experience i.e. apps and scaling mobile browsing. This is just another Android slab and consumers will treat it as such.

How pathetic apple has become. Even a Facebook phone has larger display and higher resolution than an iPhone 5.

Good thing theres choice. You can even buy a 6.1" phone now. Apple doesn't have to cater to anyone and everyone. Never have and probably never will.

Last edited:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

You say potato...

Releasing a new phone is almost as interesting as releasing a new desktop computer - the market is mature, innovation isn't something that accompanies mature markets. Perhaps if the phone only supports VOIP, it'd at least be something different.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
why is every Smartphone a "iPhone Competitor" in the Media nowdays?

Because iPhone set the initial bar for quality and experience which every other phone aims to reach. The market isn't as simple as that anymore, but that bar is still very clearly visible and prominent.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA

Ah, is that what makes things great? So when the iPhone 4 and retina macbook pro came out, I guess every other phone and laptop was pathetic in your eyes.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

So Apple won't be pathetic anymore when Apple released an iDevice with a larger screen?

Hmmmm, I seem to have misplaced my iPad mini around here somewhere...

----------

The jury is still out. Very little is known. If this is simply a customized Android phone, then it offers everything that Android offers, plus even tighter Facebook integration. It's merely marketing, nothing more. They're not claiming to have invented anything new.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
I love that this 4.3" screen is "midrange", yet Apple is so damn stubborn with their small screen size.

I believe midrange here refers to the hardware specs, not screen size. 1GB of RAM and Snapdragon S4 is no longer high-end for an Android device.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

Their OS was basically free, thanks to Google thinking it would a good idea to give a free phone OS to all their competitors. And hardware is done by HTC.

All they had to do is make an agreement with HTC to brand it and stick a launcher on it.

Low risk, high reward. If it takes off, they've basically baked their social network into an Android phone and gain an advantage over their online ad competitors. If it doesn't, they can always go back to monetizing off optional apps.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
The worst part is that this will actually be popular with the 12-16 year olds who still think Facebook is 'cool'.

I predict a flop.

Lol. It's the 12-16 year olds who think facebook is "lame" and are turning to alternatives like instagram, vine, snapchat, etc.

I agree that it'll be a flop but don't think the 12-16 year olds will help in any way.

Lestdog

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Are people really into facebook this much? Are facebook users really going to drool over this thing?

I just don't get it.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Sleep button top right, volume rock on the left, round home button on bottom.

HTC has been using that layout since before apple even made a phone. All the old windows mobile phones had the trackball/trackpad in the center on the bottom. Heck even the htc incredible 1 had a touchpad down there.

droidincredible.png

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Seriously, why? Every relevant smartphone out there has a dedicated facebook app.

I can only guess they are gonna data mine even more info from your phone habits than they can from using their website or a mobile app...

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
I think the only way this will work is if it's priced really cheap. Then it might be attractive as a first smart-phone option for kids/young teenagers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.