Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Not cool if sleep doesn't work -- shutting down every time you walk away from the computer is no good, and keeping it powered 24/7 is no good either.

I shut it down before I go to sleep and turn it on when I get home.

I will test sleep later. I think it works...

Edit: Updated to 10.8.1. Nothing broke! Everything is fine except Chimera (Still can't boot from it)

As for sleep, doesn't work. Oh well! Only time I see a use for sleep is when closing a laptop.

Last edited:

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Yeah, I see that problem in a lot of Hackintoshes -- on mine, it sleeps fine, but Ethernet and audio won't work after sleep.

I'm glad that it works for you. I wasn't trying to diss you, I just thought maybe I'd replace my hackintosh's Core2Duo mobo if there's a good one that will sleep/resume well.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Yeah, I see that problem in a lot of Hackintoshes -- on mine, it sleeps fine, but Ethernet and audio won't work after sleep.

I'm glad that it works for you. I wasn't trying to diss you, I just thought maybe I'd replace my hackintosh's Core2Duo mobo if there's a good one that will sleep/resume well.

Are you dead set on C2D?

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Not at all. I have a Hackintosh in a nice case. Someday, I'll replace the mobo, but only if I find one that's flawless. I'm not in a hurry, I can wait six months or a year.

Everything works on this board now except sleep. Though I havent looked into that much. If you want I can try to figure it out. I have no complains so far, but if you replaced it with the B75M-D3P that I'm using you'd have to get an 1155 processor.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
So, I know I'm way late to the party, but really more to push philosophy, when faced with a dilemma like "Mac mini or Hackintosh" or "iMac or Hackintosh", hell, even "Mac Pro or Hackintosh", I'll almost always vote Hackintosh.

If one building a Hackintosh is competent with both PC hardware and Apple software (and maybe a little of Apple hardware fundamentals), then the choice is easy, Hackintosh. Every time. Reason: All of Apple's desktop offerings are limited. The Mac mini is made to be needlessly small for a desktop; no one NEEDS a desktop THAT small, but since it is THAT small, it is limited to mobile CPUs and 2.5" hard drives; due to size, it is forced to use weaker parts. And due to its design, it has never been the most upgradable Mac out there. The iMac uses more powerful parts, but upgradability is worst of any Mac (save for maybe the MacBook Air and the Retina MacBook Pro). The fact of the matter is that the non-retina MacBook Pro is way more upgradable than both the iMac and Mac mini and that's just plain wrong. Desktops should always be upgradable. The Mac Pro is plenty upgradable for a brand-name tower, but $200 to upgrade from an ATI Radeon HD 5770 to an ATI Radeon HD 5870? $200 to step up from a card that is now worth $40 to a card that is now worth $60? Even when they came out, they were overpriced. And until that new Quadro comes out, the Radeon HD 5870 is the most powerful Apple-supported video card for the Mac Pro...in 2012 (hell, even in 2010 that was weak compared to what you COULD fit in that machine), not to mention a lack of CrossFire/SLI support? None of these limitations exist on a Hackintosh. Yes, additional work and research and discipline is required, but the rewards are so much greater. You built a Hackintosh that cost a fourth the cost of a current iMac and is just as powerful. It's much more custom of an option, much more affordable as an option, and much more powerful as an option. Win Win!

In any event, enough ranting; kudos and congratulations for making what appears to be a very cool Hackintosh and making it work!

Thana6tos

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
NY, PA, & Cape Cod
Sorry but I am going to be that guy and ask - why not just give the computer to your sister if she wants it instead of taking her money for it?

:D Totally agree with you...... always free to sis and bro. I always get free ;) from my father that are only a year old ... cars that are two........ then I passed it on the my best friend as a few years. In the end, it all about love and not $$$.

On the other, he probably needs the $$$$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.