Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Originally posted by bikertwin
What most people who do this sort of stuff forget is that they have to emulate the writing style of the newspaper/magazine/news source that they're trying to emulate.

Read any story on News.com and compare it to this fake, and you'll immediately realize it's a fake.

The real danger comes when fakers get good at emulating the style they're mimicking.

The people who think of that aren't the people who notice the IP address at the top of the screen.

And the reason the Britney story got so many hits is people like to read good news ;)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
HOLY S***. this guy lives in my town. what should i do to him.

iJon

Einherjar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Dude, Martin, had me scared there for a while...(actually bothered to go over the thread this time).

Last place I'd expect to see you online, dude, welcome aboard. Nice fake--I decided to stop lurking to comment when I heard that a fyvlar IP did it, lol.. :p

PM me your AIM, if you happen to use iChat, let's talk.

Adam

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
you better watch out martin, im gonna come get ya for the whole macrumors community, lol

iJon

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Two Points

1. If the person who posted this story owns any stock in Apple competitors, he could be begging for an SEC investigation. I wouldn't recommend this particular kind of satire (I didn't read the whole article, so I don't know if any of the other content was obviously satirical; if the disclaimer was always on the page, that might help, but might not - IANAL).

2. The part of the URI before the @ at sign is the username on that server (or if there's a colon, username:password); on a site that has user authentication, that part actually means something.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Pathetic

Hmm I wonder if this would erk CNET enough to have them go after the person who did this. I mean they did fake a CNET article.

If nothing it's a pathetic attempt to rain on Apple's parade. Sad sad little man....er....boy.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Pathetic

Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Hmm I wonder if this would erk CNET enough to have them go after the person who did this. I mean they did fake a CNET article.

If nothing it's a pathetic attempt to rain on Apple's parade. Sad sad little man....er....boy.
that would suck completly, and i would feel bad for him because he lives 5 miles away from him. he can come to my house and hide from them.

iJon

jjn2724

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2003
California, USA
Friends,

1. I corresponded with the CNet author to which this fake article had been attributed. Evidently I was the first.

2. The article is fake. Don't believe me. E-mail him.

3. A lesson in skepticism or epistomology is in order.

A. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Yes, the story COULD have been true. But lacking solid evidence to that effect, I'm not wasting any of my time believing so.

B. A lack of evidence does not prove the contrary.

There are lots of wonderful sites on the Net about things skeptical and how we know what we know.

On the other hand, don't believe a word I'm saying. https://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by jjn2724
Friends,

1. I corresponded with the CNet author to which this fake article had been attributed. Evidently I was the first.

2. The article is fake. Don't believe me. E-mail him.

3. A lesson in skepticism or epistomology is in order.

A. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Yes, the story COULD have been true. But lacking solid evidence to that effect, I'm not wasting any of my time believing so.

B. A lack of evidence does not prove the contrary.

There are lots of wonderful sites on the Net about things skeptical and how we know what we know.

On the other hand, don't believe a word I'm saying. https://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
dude, have you not been reading the thread, we know its fake. this guy lives 5 miles away from me.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.