Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
It had to be done:
MetalMac6.jpg

MetalMac5.jpg

http://www.shanzai.com/index.php?op...tal-jacket-edition&catid=3:notebooks&Itemid=5

Processor: Intel Atom 1.6GHz
2 USB ports and a removeable battery, plus a reserved PCIe slot inside for a 3G module (no 3G on the MacBook Air).
RAM: 1GB DDR2
HD: 2.5inch 160GB
Screen: 11.1 inch, 1366*768 resolution
Connectivity: Ports are mainly on left and right sides (as opposed to the back), 2 USB ports, earphone port, power, one RJ-45 port. A card-reader and status lights on the left side.
Battery: 3500mAh (removable)

The dimensions of the device are 277x187x25mm; slightly thicker than the Mac Air but also lighter at 1.33kg (MacBook Air is 1.36kg).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Not bad. But the Atom processor is only as fast as a Pentium 3 900MHz. :(

It's a little bit faster than that... I think benchmarks typically put it around the Pentium M 1.2-1.4 GHz kind of range. But so far from what I've seen, other netbooks that have the 1366x768 resolution have been a little sluggish with video, like the Eee 1101HA -- the Ion ones do fine with accelerate-able video, but the big problem is Flash which has limited ability to use the GPU and struggles (aside from the side argument about how terrible Flash is for video in general).

It's a lot slower than a MBA, granted... besides Flash video, the difference is very apparent in things like ripping/transcoding video, which is nearly useless on the Atom it's so slow.

And what you get in return is a stellar battery life... the numbers from the latest netbooks are just insane. (The 1101HA is essentially this thing except that it doesn't look like an MBA)

But it's usable for a lot of things...

It's quite the knock-off, but not bad... there were some major brand netbooks with metal cases earlier but I don't think there really are any on the market now.

mackhydr4

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2009
If it's the same pricepoint as netbooks, it might be interesting...

--est 290USD - I think it would be more like 500-600. I can't see this being so low, or else, QC will suffer.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
The dimensions of the device are 277x187x25mm; slightly thicker than the Mac Air but also lighter at 1.33kg (MacBook Air is 1.36kg).

The dimensions are deceptive because while the real MBA is about 25mm at its thickest point, most of the body tapers nicely and gets considerably thinner. This computer seems to be an almost uniform thickness.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Knew it was too good to be true at 290 dollars..

MetalMac3.jpg

Macbook Airballoon more like :(

Holy crap! That's not anything like the MacBook Air.

That's like buying something that looks like a Lotus Elise on the side, while from the front looks like a Pontiac Aztek

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
After seeing the first two picture, and then the one showing the real bulk of the machine, I thought about the Family Guy where Quagmire sees this girl who looks good from the back, but as she turns around she is huge.....

Couldn't find a youtube video of it, shame, it fits perfectly.....

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Hmm, I'd probably get it at 300 dollars - same size, weight as MBA, much more battery life, less power (acceptable for email / web use), 11'' screen etc.

If they had an even smaller, lighter version, I'd really like that. I can live without the taper.

Really looking forwards to the new generation of netbooks coming out this September. Hope they're all as nice as this one. This is gonna be when I finally get one.

Strange, my darling 13'' Macbook is starting to feel like a heavy elephant...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I can live without the taper.

I rather think it would be prettier with one of the boxier cases like this Toshiba...

toshiba-nb205.jpg

or this HP...

hp_mini-2140-netbook.jpg

But in aluminum and otherwise visually like they made it. Which I guess would make it a bit like a MBP in appearance, but if they could do that and still weigh what they do now... well, you could do worse.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
It had to be done
lighter at 1.33kg (MacBook Air is 1.36kg).

The MBA isn't really that light when you think about. As a side not the Sony Vaio Z 13in machine, weighs the same as the MBA, but has specs/features that equal or in some cases best the MBP(i.e a more mattish display, for some optional blu-ray support, and HDMI to name a few).

At $300, if is using a Atom N based cpu, I would get one just to see if I can get OSX on it for fun. I remember seeing a test where the N270 was about equal to the ibook(or was it the 12in Powerbook) G4 cpu. Maybe we can get lucky and be able to OC it like the MSI to a stable 1.9ghz to get a little more power out of it.

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, I'd rather get the HP Mini note or something if I needed a tertiary machine... That thing looks nothing like the Air except for the keyboard :)

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
After seeing the first two picture, and then the one showing the real bulk of the machine, I thought about the Family Guy where Quagmire sees this girl who looks good from the back, but as she turns around she is huge.....

Couldn't find a youtube video of it, shame, it fits perfectly.....

Haha that was just on last night on Adult Swim!

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
An Atom CPU?

What a waste of time, it reminds me of those laptops PC World advertise on TV with an 8 hour battery life that only use Intel Core CPUs, not even Core Duo and look over an inch thick!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I don't see how anyone could consider this a "fake" MBA nor even competition.

An Atom CPU vs Penryn SL9600 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo! JOKE!

Intel graphics vs Nvidia 9400m! JOKE!

1 GB DDR2 RAM vs 2 GB DDR3 1066 MHz RAM! JOKE!

11" display vs 13"! JOKE!

HDD vs Samsung 128 GB SSD! JOKE!

Windows Vista vs MAC OS X! JOKE!

Crappy plastic boxy design vs. Super tapering aluminum MAC!

I don't think anyone who would truly consider buying an MBA would change their mind and buy this...

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
What is the max ram the MBA can support? Cause you know for 20 bucks you can make this support a max of 2gb of ram. And some prefer an 11in device, because it fits there need better. I know if Apple made an 11in device I would have had that instead of my beautiful Sony Vaio TT(then again I if I use the right ram I know I can get 6gb of ram and possibly 8gb of ram). And again some like people, like I, don't care what OS it is running.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
I like it! If I really really nice a Windows machine I would get this one. It sure beats any plastic HP or Dell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.