Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Ok basically im trying to re-code a program that is free to edit (open source!).

Its the iMac version of the Fan Control program.

I've got it as far as getting one of the sensor codes into the program and setting the fan SMC codes so it controls it but i've come across a few issues including:

Minimum fan speeds arn't what are set by the SMC or by my values in the code. (Eg the minimum CPU fan speed is 800, yet the minimum value on the slider is 1200 and it actually runs at 1400 :confused:)

Along with things like some of the fan codes make other fans spin up too :confused:

Things like that.

My aim is to get from This to

CPU/PS/PCI fan controlled by their respective temperature sensors
Intake and exhaust fan controlled by the CPU core temperature (jointly adjusted seeing as they need to be in sync)

Can anyone help me on my way? Pointers and general help (not doing it for me!) would be great as I'd like to learn more than the basic C++ i've done so far.

Here is the code I'm up to so far:
http://www.thunder-keep.co.uk/site/macpro2009sourcecode.zip

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
Why do you need a fan control program for a desktop? I can only understand for laptops because of the heat on the bottom

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Why do you need a fan control program for a desktop? I can only understand for laptops because of the heat on the bottom

95C load even tho within limits, is not what I want.

Plus the cooler it is, the faster it is (turbo boost!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.