Fantom External DVD Burner Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shaboink, May 15, 2005.

1. shaboink macrumors newbie

I just hooked an external firewire Fantom Drive Premier FW 16x Dual Layer DVD +/- RW up to my G4 running OS X Panther 10.3.9, 1g memory. It came with 2 CD's, ToastLite & Samsung. Neither seem to contain a driver for my MAC.

The system doesn't recognize the drive. The instructions are virtually useless. I know I must be missing something. Confession time: This is my first MAC I am a pc user for years and am trying to change my ways. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

usually with external drives it comes with the drives on a cd-rom or you goto the manufactorers website and get the drives.

3. shaboink thread starter macrumors newbie

The included disk which is a Samsung DVD +- R/RW CD. Contains the following:

Autorun.inf (I basically get: "No application associated with this file"

TS-H552B.exe (windows)
    Dos_Driver - file
    Manual - file (nothing usefull here)
    Nero Burn - file (windows)
    Nero Express - file (windows)
    Intervideo - file (windows)
    InCD4 - file (windows)
    Common Files - file (nothing seems to be useful here)
    directx - file (windows)

Is there anyplace I might be able to pick up the drivers for this thing?

I have placed a call but it's been over 2 days and no reply so far. Just got to love voice mail tech support.

Thanks.

4. whispering macrumors newbie

Fantom External DVD Burner Problem

This afternoon i got an external dvd burner which is connected to my emac via a usb cable. I am not sure if it works right out of the box, because right away I installed software which I found on the LaCie homepage. I was able to use this sofware because i found out that LaCie is using Nec dvd burners to build its products. In your case that's probably not an option.
    But i had problems using the apple application Idvd.
    After some research on the net i found the following webpage.
    http://www.patchburn.de/
    On this webpage you can download a patch program that adds support for dvd burners.
    It allows many, otherwise unsupported burners to be used directly with Mac-OS X, iTunes and DiscBurne

Hopefully this might work for you too.
    In my case, even Idvd seems to work fine.

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Apple doesn't support a lot of DVD burners. Even if you do get them to work in the Finder and have them recognized by your system, it's a different story to get them to work with Apple programs. There have been many threads about it. Before you buy a dvd burner, always check with Apples support pages!

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I had terrible service from Fantom tech support, send the drive back for a refund. My condolences.