Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf and Turf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
In my mind
I can' believe that this movie was even made. The only thing "cool" about this movie is that the drift sequences were done with professional racers from the japanese circuit. The plot and premise of the story made me want kill myself and everyone around me... <-------figure of speech

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Surf and Turf said:
I can' believe that this movie was even made. The only thing "cool" about this movie is that the drift sequences were done with professional racers from the japanese circuit. The plot and premise of the story made me want kill myself and everyone around me... <-------figure of speech

I hope it didn't take you three of these movies to figure that out. ;)

Sadly, I can believe this film was made. I haven't been to the movies in ages because of all the crap that's out there. It's not about telling a good story anymore, just about putting butts in seats and getting their $10.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Why do people find it surprising that it's awful?
You only have to see the trailer to know!!
Torque looks like it was worse though!!!

Surf and Turf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
In my mind
bartelby said:
Why do people find it surprising that it's awful?
You only have to see the trailer to know!!
Torque looks like it was worse though!!!

That is true. Nowadays the so called action movies are so gimicky. Suprisingly the comic movies have benn quite good imo. ex. x-men, superman,etc...

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I love how the plot develops so that the two opponents have to race on a mountain side road. Honestly, I didn't see it coming. :)

The pacing starts and stops like someone learning how to drive manual.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think American writers are a bit slow to catch on. "Drifting" is pretty old and somewhat of a dated topic. I mean, ever play that old Sega racing game "Daytona USA" in an arcade? I used to drift in THAT game (and that was when I played video games), and while my friends got it, it used to piss other opponents off because they didn't know how I was turing so fast. :p

God that game was awesome. I went to an arcade recently, and I'm sure games haven't gotten any better over the past 10 years. I guess I haven't missed much.

auyongtc

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2006
haha Abstract, true.... I remember when I started playing Daytona - I started learning how to drift the corners in an automatic car. Realized that although top speed on automatic is a tad slower than of the manual, but SEGA's catch-up logic gives better handicap to a chasing auto car. Hehe, used to smoke my more show-off manual driving friends. :D

As for the movie, who the heck were they trying to kid that someone can drift that junction in Shibuya at night? For sure it's impossible, not with the amount of people that crosses there every day!

XNine

macrumors 68040
Yo Dom... Why'd you bring the busta?!

Because the busta, kept me outta handcuffs. The busta, brought meeee back.

I hate Vin Deisel and these stupid films.

I have a 97 Civic, and it pisses me off when kids come by and want to race me. I tell them "why don't you just get out and fight me, see what REAL men are about." And they're like "I'm a sissy little bitch with a loud muffler!" And I'm like "go drive off a cliff" and they're like "I suck so much I think I'll do that."

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I agree, the movie was plain bad. Storyline was bad. Acting was bad. (Or maybe I didn't like who they cast.)

However, some parts did look pretty. I look at it like I would at a bad kungfu movie. Don't think too hard about who killed whose master, and just look at the Chinese guy open his can of whoop-ass for an hour and a half.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Abstract said:
I think American writers are a bit slow to catch on. "Drifting" is pretty old and somewhat of a dated topic. I mean, ever play that old Sega racing game "Daytona USA" in an arcade? I used to drift in THAT game (and that was when I played video games), and while my friends got it, it used to piss other opponents off because they didn't know how I was turing so fast.

Actually drifting is a fairly popular underground circuit racing thing currently. I'd say they were more capitalizing on yet another aspect of street racing to line their pockets with dolla-dolla-bills (y'all).. much more than being "slow to catch on". You're just on an anti-american kick today, eh?

And to comment on this movie, I pride myself for never having seen any of the 3 of them, figuring them all to be pretty stupid.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I'm sorry, but the Worst Movie Ever has to be "Woman On Top" starring Penelope Cruz (My name Isabella!! I cook for you!!!). Truly, truly awful, and even worse when you're on a plane and it's the only thing on offer.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Oh.. and.. the worst movie ever is "Cabin Boy" staring Chris Elliot.
My theory? Chris Elliot decided Hollywood was corrupt and that they would make any piece of **** script that came across their desk. So he set out to write the worst movie ever and have it made. He suceeded. Worst movie ever.

Highlander 2 is a close second to the worst movie ever.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
It was a very bad movie, easily the worst of the franchise. The whole thing was utterly unbelievable, but I didn't expect much out of it going in. It was mediocre for what it was...

But I just saw a movie 10 times worse than tFatFDT. The Protector. DO NOT GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
You people watched it, they got there money so they will make another one and I bet you go again.:rolleyes:
yellow said:
Oh.. and.. the worst movie ever is "Cabin Boy" staring Chris Elliot.
My theory? Chris Elliot decided Hollywood was corrupt and that they would make any piece of **** script that came across their desk. So he set out to write the worst movie ever and have it made. He suceeded. Worst movie ever.
Name a good movie with Chris Elliot, you can't

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
MacNut said:
Name a good movie with Chris Elliot, you can't

Something About Mary wasn't bad.
Groundhog Day was good.
I liked The Abyss.
Manhunter was pretty good.
Kingpin was funny.

Thjat's about it..

But to bring it full circle and unhijack this thread, here's Chris Elliot's newest project: "Minoriteam" Space Driftin'

:D

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
auyongtc said:
haha Abstract, true.... I remember when I started playing Daytona - I started learning how to drift the corners in an automatic car. Realized that although top speed on automatic is a tad slower than of the manual, but SEGA's catch-up logic gives better handicap to a chasing auto car. Hehe, used to smoke my more show-off manual driving friends. :D

As for the movie, who the heck were they trying to kid that someone can drift that junction in Shibuya at night? For sure it's impossible, not with the amount of people that crosses there every day!

funny you should mention video games, since I think movies and video games suffer from the same condition.

graphics are so good nowadays that there's a tendency for game designers to rely on "flash" rather than good solid game play. Metal Gear Solid looks fairly primitive by today's standards, but it's well-designed and, I think, a hell of a lot of fun. Metal Gear Solid 3 looks great...and it's totally boring.

same deal with movies. The Empire Strikes Back looks kind of hokey by today's standards, but it's probably the best movie in the entire Star Wars catalog. All 3 of the newer films look fantastic...yet Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones (great title :rolleyes: ) both completely suck.

Presentation without substance is worthless.

as for worst movie ever, I haven't seen Tokyo Drift, but I don't know if it can hold a candle to either The Omega Code or Hurly Burly. Yeesh...practically unbearable those two were...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
beatsme said:

LOL, I'd never heard of that one, but the first review has this amazingly funny tidbit that told me all I needed to know:

The best part of this opening sequence is that it let's us know early on that nothing in this film is going to involve logic, but at least the opening credits were finally over.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
yellow said:
LOL, I'd never heard of that one, but the first review has this amazingly funny tidbit that told me all I needed to know:

hehe...that's awesome :D
if you really want to loathe Casper Van Dien, you should see the movie. Jeez louise, I could've done better.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
I HATED the theme song to the movie. The MOST annoying thing in the world!! Those high pitched Japanese women trying to rap/sing "Fahhhh an Furiouhhhhhhs" felt like I had justed puked inside my mouth, then swallowed it and then threw it up on the floor only then to scoop it up and eat it. TERRIBLE!!

Onizuka said:
I have a 97 Civic, and it pisses me off when kids come by and want to race me. I tell them "why don't you just get out and fight me, see what REAL men are about." And they're like "I'm a sissy little bitch with a loud muffler!" And I'm like "go drive off a cliff" and they're like "I suck so much I think I'll do that."

lol. I am very familiar with this. I have a 2000 Kia and you think ricers would leave me alone because it's a Krap In Action, but noooooooo. They wanna race!! WTF? I have done nothing to the car engine-wise so why would they wanna race me? So they can smoke me and then feel good about themselves?

I tell you what tho, I've got some mid-grade Kumho tires and they will smoke ricers around corners. I've had ricers up on my bumper on off ramps only to be left in the dust when doing a wide 270 degree turn onto the the next freeway. But then they pass me up later and feel like they've won. Awesome, you can go straight!

I made this bumper sticker to warn ricers to not even try. (disregard the woofers, those are long gone) :D

Attachments

• 2248058_5_full.jpg
    2248058_5_full.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 198

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Oh, I HAVE contribute.

The worst movie I've seen is called "Instant Justice". Which, of course, took 100 minutes of movie. Absolutely, awful. In fact, I would recommend it for a drunken party with friends. You can do a drinking game. Take a swig at every stupid stunt or mistake (like guy opening fridge with white light in dark room)

An speaking of Fast and Furious, I do get a little bit of a jazz when one of thes potato-cannon-exhaust lime-green civics try to pick a race with me and my pretty much stock 330ci. Haven't lost yet.

Apparently, the guys who've tried this to me haven't thought through the situation: putting a huge wing on the back of a front drive car isn't really that great an idea - especially married to a 2 liter 4-banger.

EDIT: What the he** is wrong with my spelling today?

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Movies are so bad now a days, I wouldn't even pirate them...lol, (figure of speech)

Remember that great time when LOTR, Star Wars, Harry Potter ect. were all coming out around the same time? sigh, those were the days. I havn't even rented a movie in months...

and with all the great tv shows like lost, 24, jericho, house, heroes, csi ect.ect.
I don't even think about watching movies....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.