Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakusai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Hi:

Can't seem to figure out this one. Is there an easy way to shutdown OSX when multiple users are logged in. My wife and I are frequently both logged in and when it comes time to shutdown, it's a hassle to have to type in the admin name and click on Shutdown after already having gone through the menubar and clicked on shutdown.

I know it's to ensure no open documents or programs are affected on the other user's login but can I get around it?

Thanks

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
if you want to kill your harddrive you can hold down the powerbutton for 4-5 seconds ;)

Just go through the hassle (which really is barely one) because i don't think there is an easier one

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
hakusai said:
Hi:

Can't seem to figure out this one. Is there an easy way to shutdown OSX when multiple users are logged in. My wife and I are frequently both logged in and when it comes time to shutdown, it's a hassle to have to type in the admin name and click on Shutdown after already having gone through the menubar and clicked on shutdown.

I know it's to ensure no open documents or programs are affected on the other user's login but can I get around it?

Thanks
AFAIK, you will always be prompted when you're shutting down and someone else is logged in. Control+Eject will get you to the shutdown window without any mouse clicks, but if you really NEED to shut down without clicking, hold the power button for 5 seconds. Hopefully someone else knows of a hack...

hakusai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
belvdr said:
You might try going into terminal and doing a:

shutdown -h now

Could this be made into a simple applescript....I'm looking for a one-click solution to shutdown..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.