Fast shutdown with multiple users logged in

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hakusai, Sep 22, 2005.

1. hakusai macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2005

Can't seem to figure out this one. Is there an easy way to shutdown OSX when multiple users are logged in. My wife and I are frequently both logged in and when it comes time to shutdown, it's a hassle to have to type in the admin name and click on Shutdown after already having gone through the menubar and clicked on shutdown.

I know it's to ensure no open documents or programs are affected on the other user's login but can I get around it?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    if you want to kill your harddrive you can hold down the powerbutton for 4-5 seconds ;)

Just go through the hassle (which really is barely one) because i don't think there is an easier one
  3. neocell macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    AFAIK, you will always be prompted when you're shutting down and someone else is logged in. Control+Eject will get you to the shutdown window without any mouse clicks, but if you really NEED to shut down without clicking, hold the power button for 5 seconds. Hopefully someone else knows of a hack...
  4. belvdr macrumors 601

Aug 15, 2005
    You might try going into terminal and doing a:

shutdown -h now
  5. hakusai thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2005
    Could this be made into a simple applescript....I'm looking for a one-click solution to shutdown..