Faster remote browsing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rylin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. rylin macrumors 6502

Aug 18, 2006
    having "switched" (ugh, don't you just hate the word? :p) little less than a year ago, I'm almost as happy as can be.
    I say almost, because there are a few really nagging annoyances.

Network-browsing (via SMB/CIFS for instance) is painfully slow.
    What used to take 2 - 3 seconds at most in Windows to display a remote folder with 300+ items in it now takes 10 - 20 seconds (let's not even mention doing a search based on filenames against remote shares..).

Note that this is being done between a iMac with a 100/10Mbps connection and a datacenter, where our machines are connected at 1Gbps.
    Speeds aren't that much better between the datacenter and the office (with a gigabit pipe connecting them. . .).

In other words, something is remarkably worthless when it comes to either the CIFS/SMB implementation in OSX, or it's done remarkably well in Windows.

I've tried with and without the VPN (PPTP) client in OSX - the VPN is not the bottleneck.
    I've tested throughput between the locations, and the slowest (home <-> datacenter) reaches roughly 9Mbps down, 20 - 30 Mbps up.
    Actual latency isn't bad either, hovering between 1 - 4ms.

With that little bit of background, I'm trying to find a remote filesystem protocol that works *well* under OSX, the major caveat being that it has to work as a service under Windows Server 2003.

Suggestions, ideas, anything would be greatly appreciated! :)

/ r
  2. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    Networking is a grande problemo in 10.4, hopefully 10.5 will get this right...