Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lloyddean

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, WA
In section 5.2.3. "Writing to the Screen Surface" of the O'Reilly title "iPhone Open Application Development" they briefly show how to use the, now non existing, CoreSurface to move ones own render buffer to the iPhones framebuffer.

The CoreSurface no longer exists in the iPhone SDK, and never existed for any SDK that ran on the iPad. The replacement looks to eventually be IOSurface but the IOSurface framework is currently private and shouldn't be used if product expects to be accepted in the App store so that's out.

What are my current options in order to get my render buffer to the display as quick as possible?

Anyone point me at some "working" example code using something in the currently available SDK for iPad.

Thanks

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Last I searched around on this issue, the fast public API non-OpenGL path was to create a CGImage from a (double-buffered) CGBitmapContext, then assigning that image to a CALayer that's already part of the UIView.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.