Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I want this. Now. I said, NOW, dammit! :p

Okay.. let me compose myself... alright.. all set.

I want this. But I'll let Toyland tell the story.

http://toyland.gizmodo.com/this-transforming-optimus-prime-birthday-cake-is-just-a-1726713463

This Transforming Optimus Prime Birthday Cake Is Just Amazing
By Andrew Liszewski
8/25/2015

Having your parents throw an awesome Transformers-themed party for your sixth birthday is one thing. But having your dad make a talking Optimus Prime cake that actually transforms? That’s a birthday you’re never, ever going to forget.

The lucky lad in this case is the son of YouTuber Russell Munro who used a 3D printer to construct the transforming base for this cake. All of the baked and frosted parts then help to cover up the motors and other mechanisms that allow this wonderful creation to transform.

Now don’t you wish your birthday was right around the corner? (And that Russell was your dad?)

PSFK goes into a bit more detail.

http://www.psfk.com/2015/08/transforming-cake-optimus-prime-youtube-video.html

Through the power of 3D printing (and plenty of inventiveness), Russell Munro surprises his son with a "robot in disguise"
by Jason Brick

Every child wants to have a birthday their friends will talk about for weeks. Father and YouTube video maker Russell Munro, has managed to do exactly that. He made a birthday cake in the shape of Transformer Optimus Prime, one able to transform into a standing robot with a humanoid chassis.

Munro does not go into deep details of how he went about creating the shifting model. What he does reveal allows viewers to know they’re looking at a creation from 3D printing.

There are five major components to these printed pieces: each arm, the chest, the thighs and the lower legs. The thighs and the chest are the only obvious moving parts with the lower legs standing in place to support all of the movement. A pair of arms pops out from the chest once the robot is fully standing.

A video Munro released showed only this inedible 3D printed frame, without the cake added to them. Although this skeleton bears little resemblance to a fully realized Optimus Prime, some camoflauging cake will truly make it a “robot in disguise.”

This is yet another example in how 3D printing is turning the mid twenty-teens into the “decade of makers,” since custom components are easy to both prototype and create. Combined with the powers of crowdsourced funding and a growing and robust online community of makers, we can only expect to see this trend grow in coming years.

Viewers can check out the videos Munro has released on his YouTube page. There are only two videos, none of them go into detail on how he created this robot for his child or of how long this took him. From what he’s released, it was created through the use of 3D printing and his wife’s skill as a baker.

Here's the Making Of video:

And the results:

BL.

Dubdrifter

Suspended
Jan 30, 2015
Hope it makes any absentee fathers who have abandoned their son, daughter and supportive mother ..... and left them in the lurch ..... just think for a nanosecond in their selfish existence on this planet ..... what looks of joy they could have witnessed on their children's faces ..... if they had stuck around and faced their responsibilities.

There is always still time to go back and make amends ..... but only if they want you back to be part of their new lives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.