Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
Some heavy reading from Slashdot: The founder and chairman of MPEG, Leonardo Chiariglione, replys to Steve Jobs on DRM and TPM. After laying the groundwork by distinguishing DRM from digital rights protection, Chiariglione suggests we look to GSM as a model of how a fully open and standardized DRM stack enabled rapid worldwide adoption. He gently reminds Jobs (and us) that there exists a reference implementation of such a DRM stack — Chillout — that would be suitable for use in the music business:

http://www.chiariglione.org/contrib/060209chiariglione01.htm

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I agree with most of the points Leonardo makes about DRM, especially the point about how poorly the acronym is defined, and how widely it is used in places people don't normally think of DRM.

I am one of those people that believes that standards help everyone, and that Chillout's use should be suggested to both Apple and Microsoft, as well as everyone else who has a say in the music and video businesses. This way, only audio file format incompatibilities, not conflicting DRM schemes, would prevent an audio file from playing anywhere.

If this vision comes to reality, I believe everyone wins :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.