Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
G3 Pismo... the nicest!!!

I like them so much that I have 2 of them, I like the Bat Man design.

Still one of the best computers out there. The only problem is the weight, a bit too heavy for todays computers but you can get one for $600 on eBay and for $200 you can add a G4 500 chip! Still you have every single port avalible and a switchable port too.

About the towers... I like the first G4 design, it looks elegant, the other enclosures are like too much, they are not "humble and sofisticated".

The G3 enclosure still looks like one of those things you use to bring the sixpacks to the beach!:)

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Of all the PM cases:

-Cube
-G3 B&w
-G3 Beige (yeah, I know, it's supposed to be post beige, but)
-QuickSilver
-G4 Graphite
-MDD

Laptops:
-G3 Black
-iBook Clamshell (any color, but mostly indigo)
-15" PB G4
-iBook
-12" PB G4
-17" PB G4

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
Re: Favorite Case Design

Originally posted by Moxiemike
Since ditching the Beige 7300/7500/7600/8600/9600/g3 minitower and desktop case design there have been four iterations of the new "side door" case. Starting with the smurf, er, I mean, blueberry G3 and finally ending up here with the Mirrored Drive Doors.

I think that this will probably be the end of the line with the case design?the tower case has been essentially the same since 1999 and is the last hold over from the old "colorful" era in Apple history.

But enough about that.... what i wanna know is which tower iteration do you like best?

For me, I LOVE the quicksilver. Cleanest lines, and most "mature" looking. MDD looks like too much of an afterthought. And the original g4 is too much of a compromise between something new and the old smurg G3.

What do you think?

what is the name of the style for the top right? thats an awesome design, the new ones are quazi-bland in my opinion

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
cube was cool just not as upgradable. Therefore I have to say the Quicksilver had the cleanest and sleekest look. Apple made a great design and when you make something that works it just keeps on going no matter the little changes. from the blue g3 to the MDD this has been a great case design. Maybe next a solid white one with a 970 in it!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
ok u bastard...

I'm going with the first G4...

that G3 casing...with it's ghosted image of the "G3" in it's side...cheesy...

the current G4 is a pain in the ass as far as design goes...there's no friggin' reset button on it!!!

the Quicksilver G4...eh...seems more like a quick fix to create something new more than innovation...

dig it... ;)

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
"Simplicity is the greatest sophistication." -Thoreau

Out of those, i'm gonna have to say the quicksilver by far. But the cube was a sweet design, too bad it didn't sell that well.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Quicksilver all the way. Though something still appeals about the MDD when you have some serious time to get used to it. It's grew on me really seductive about the nice, firm door clopping shut when you insert a disc.

Dan

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
my fav design is the current iMac....it is perfect.
if it has to be just in the powermac category then I'd say the cube, design wise it was near perfect.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Quicksilver. But weren't there two versions of the QS? I thought the sides or the plastic chaged or something.

Also, the MMD are jsut off balanced. The wind tunnels are useless and the chrome gets finger prints on it so easily.

Either way, the next case will have a chrome Apple on the side which should look sweet on any case.

The cube was sweet as well, I wonder how it would look if it was designed this year.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Kid Red
Quicksilver. But weren't there two versions of the QS? I thought the sides or the plastic chaged or something.

Also, the MMD are jsut off balanced. The wind tunnels are useless and the chrome gets finger prints on it so easily.

Either way, the next case will have a chrome Apple on the side which should look sweet on any case.

The cube was sweet as well, I wonder how it would look if it was designed this year.

Why would you touch the chrome? I know unless you have an Apple LCD you have to use the power button on the front but you don't have to touch the chrome just the button.

Trust me spend some time with a MDD and you will prefer it the QuickSilvers are just bland in comparrison.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by MacBandit

Why would you touch the chrome? I know unless you have an Apple LCD you have to use the power button on the front but you don't have to touch the chrome just the button.

Trust me spend some time with a MDD and you will prefer it the QuickSilvers are just bland in comparrison.

Good I can't wait to get mine!

In response to an earlier post, I don't think the G3 b/w look 'cheesy' - they rule. Alright, they look a little dated now, but Apple were proud of that chip, and it immediately said "G3" like a hardcore computer!

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Blueberry G3...

Okay I am probably about the only one, but I thought the Blueberry G3 kicked butt, love the huge, yet soft "G3" on the side. REMEMBER they plastered that on the side, because it was actually true, the G3 was kicking the crap out of Pentiums of the time. I also liked the blue pinstriped look. My iMac has that look to the plastic on the front of the screen. On mine, it creates a neato look with the pinstriping around the screen running vertical and the pinstriping on OSX menus running horzontial.

Other then that, I like the new Mirrored Doors case, I think it is sharp, but "Blue" still wins...

wolfywolfbits

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
NZ Auckland
G4 Cube.

People still stop and ask me about it when they see it.

Attachments

• cube.gif
    cube.gif
    15 KB · Views: 118
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.