Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
I am watching Prince of Darkness and wondering what are some of your favorite horror movies...

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Alright, I'll bite.

Prince of Darkness didn't really do it for me, not sure why though.

I'd probably say Alien and The Shining for me. Henry: Portrait of a serial killer and The Last House to the Left (the original) are for some reason even worse - but I'm not sure whether they are genuine horror flics or not.

Top terror-movie is Texas Chainsaw Massacre for me. You see little to nothing but your imagination runs amok and is terrorized to no limit.

I like a lot of Argento, Brava & Fulci flics, but wouldn't call them genuine horror movies I guess.

The original Nosferatu/Frankenstein/Caligary movies are in a league of their own, hard to compare them to sth like Alien or The Shining.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
I hadn't watched Prince of Darkness since it's theater release, yeah you're right... lol

Alien is pretty cool as is The Shining, I am not sure I have seen Henry or either Last House movie

I am not even sure what my favorite horror movie is at the moment or all time.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Alien. One of my all time favorite movies. To me it still holds up today.
Jaws.
Friday the 13th. I remember jumping out of my seat when Jason came flying out of the water at the end. Not to mention learning mom was behind all the killings.
Stranger in The House. Man-o-man. I haven't seen it for a very long time, but the whole phone call scene, with our killer in the house and police calling back saying get out. Wowzers.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I'd probably say Alien and The Shining for me.

Alien. One of my all time favorite movies. To me it still holds up today.

Alien and The Shining, definitely.

But the one that still scares the living ***** out of me is:
Ju-On / The Grudge

ju_on_the_grudge.jpg

Edit:
Tied for honourable mention — 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later.

Reactions: Huntn and twietee

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Pink Flamingos... most horrifying movie I've seen... be sure to watch the credits.
But seriously... "It Follows" was pretty good in recent memory.

PS... yeah ju-on / grudge was good as well... the security guard looking at the monitor freaked me out

Reactions: arkitect

bent christian

Suspended
Nov 5, 2015
It would be impossible for me to choose a favorite. Some great films from the last several years:

You're Next (2011)

Starry Eyes (2014)

Honeymoon (2014)

Housebound (2014)

Faults (2014)

The Neon Demon (2016)

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Pink Flamingos... most horrifying movie I've seen... be sure to watch the credits.
But seriously... "It Follows" was pretty good in recent memory.

PS... yeah ju-on / grudge was good as well... the security guard looking at the monitor freaked me out

Pink Flamingos a horror movie hahahaha I guess I can understand due to the ending hahaha

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Alien and The Shining, definitely.

But the one that still scares the living ***** out of me is:
Ju-On / The Grudge

Edit:
Tied for honourable mention — 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later.

Hmm, never heard of The Grudge. Will give it a try when it crosses my path.

Alien and The Shining are both timeless classics (as is Jaws, but that movie is giving me only creeps when I think about it when swimming in the sea, lol). I would love to say flawless but the table scene in Alien where it rushes over the dinner table just didn't hold up FX wise and looks a bit silly nowadays - the rest is perfect imo. And I don't like the supernatural aside in the Shining (not that they get delusional over the time but that there are supernatural forces at work (opening the locked door when he's imprisoned).

28 Years later is probably 14 Years ago since I've seen it, should revisit.
[doublepost=1483719513][/doublepost]
I am not sure I have seen Henry or either Last House movie

Henry is filmed docu-style. Pretty niche title from around the 80s I'd say. Can't really recommend it but it sure is one hard to stomach movie, no nonsense.

Same with Last House (original, no interest in the remake), which is rather graphic and devulges into the fantastic at last (pretty sure Tarantino watched it and I think it gave an idea to TCM...lol).

Both are basically shocker, especially Last House, that aim at your gut.

I forgot to mention Night of the Living Dead (zombi flics are their own genre for me ;)), which is also a timeless classic and Zombi by Fulci which is the best (pulp) Zombi flic there is in my opinion. Pretty gory and fantastic. No happy ending (which Alien and The Shinging and Jaws both have (if not taking all the casulties along the way into account ;)) which makes it pretty grim. In fact all Fulci films have grim and depressing endings which I think fitting to the general theme. Prince of Darkness too IIRC.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Jaws gave me a complex when I saw it as a kid. Granted, there were some external factors that made it scarier for me, but still. Today I love the movie.

Is Jaws technically classified as belonging to the horror genre? I guess. ;) But it's still a great adventure movie. :)

As far as scary and favorite: I'd go with Alien, The Thing, The Shining, Psycho, The Mist (Stephen King). I even liked the remake of House on Haunted Hill.

As far as scary and/or tense: The Grudge, The Exorcist, 28 Days Later, The Silence of the Lambs, Friday 13th, The Ring, The Fly (orig and remake).

That sinking feeling: Rosemary's Baby, Invasion of The Body Snatchers.

Kid in the 1960's scary: The Thing From Another World, Caltiki The Immortal Monster, The Body Snatchers (original), The Crawling Eye.

Reactions: RobinInOR

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Is Jaws technically classified as belonging to the horror genre? I guess. ;) But it's still a great adventure movie. :)

If I were seeing it for the first time today, I don't know that I would call it a horror movie - but I was a kid when I saw it, and I was moving to a place that had boulders placed around the swimming areas at the beaches to keep the sharks out. I was terrified at the time!

Reactions: twietee and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If I were seeing it for the first time today, I don't know that I would call it a horror movie - but I was a kid when I saw it, and I was moving to a place that had boulders placed around the swimming areas at the beaches to keep the sharks out. I was terrified at the time!

I did find it on a list of greatest horror movies. You are vindicated. :D

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Yep, I never saw Jaws up until last year or so. I guess you can call it horror, but there are way stronger movies out there imo. But I know for sure that would be quite different if I saw that as a kiddie.

Silence of the lambs is a good mention. As is Rosemary's Baby. Not sure I'd call SotLambs genuine horror though.

Reactions: Huntn

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Not sure if it counts but as a kid I always watched Jaws before vacation and man no matter the water depths I always saw him swimming, damn scary.

As far as Horror movies are concerned it's the usual ones: Conjuring, Exorcist, Saw, Hills have Eyes

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
Hellraiser is my favorite.

I was super impressed with It Follows. It hit nearly all of the right notes.

I'm a zombie movie fan so I really liked [Rec] as well. It's a Spanish film that was remade in English as Quarantine.

Let the Right One In

I really like horror films where the protagonists are capable and make good decisions, which is rare. Some of my favorites: Kristy, Hush, You're Next.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
The best horror movies (of varying quality) I've seen recently:

It Follows (2014)
The Babadook (2014)
Eye of the Devil (1967)
Don't Breath (2016)
The Witch (2016)
Messiah of Evil (1973)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.