Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redmeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
led zeppelin - babe im gonna leave you

its actually pretty upbeat in terms of tempo and rhythm in some parts of the song, but its a great song regardless

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
monuments and melodies - incubus

amazing, perfect song about how much he loves the girl he misses terribly. i get the feeling they have broken up on the new album, though (Oil and Water, Love Hurts, etc)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
"Tears in Heaven" -Eric Clapton

Yeah, that was the first one I thought of. "Tears in Heaven", Eric Clapton. Doesn't get more sad than singing about your dead son.

I like that one also. My other ones are Peace On Earth by U2
On the Evening Train by Johnny Cash, and most of the rest of the songs from that CD
Yesterday by the Beetles

Good call. "Yesterday" by The Beatles

"Your Sweet Voice" by The Reindeer Section. This song is sad sad sad. This band is essentially Gary Lightbody (of Snow Patrol), some members of Idlewild, and every other great indie Scottish band. It sounds nothing like anything made by any of the individual members' bands, so even if you despise Snow Patrol (;) :D), you might love The Reindeer Section.

"John Wayne Gacy, Jr" by Sufjan Stevens. Not the saddest song, really. I don't even know if I should be sad, but when I hear it, I am.

Another song is "Goodbye My Lover" by James Blunt. I don't like his album, with the exception of this one fantastic song. This song is the only one of his songs that suits that awful voice of his. :eek:

"Black" by Pearl Jam, especially the last 1 minute 30 seconds of it. Absolutely epic song. It's off their album, "Ten". I don't love Pearl Jam at all, but this song is incredibly grand and massive, and it just builds up and explodes in the last 1 minutes and 30 seconds.

"Cries A Girl" by Buck 65. Best Canadian rapper. :D OK OK, he's also the most original rapper in existence, and I really have heard it all, from many different countries. He's a real storyteller......a real poet in the truest sense, and I can't say that this description fits any other rapper as well as it does Buck 65. :)

"Another Lonely Day" by Ben Harper. If you hear it, you'll know why. Listen to the live version on "Live From Mars" album, disk 2.
"The Drugs Don't Work" by Ben Harper. Same album. Listen to "Live from Mars, Disk 2". It's better than The Verve's "original" version.

"Great Expectations" by Elbow. The melody is sad, and if you can make out the Thom Yorke-ish mumbling of some of the lyrics, then you'll likely agree with me.

"Gravity" by Coldplay. They never released it. They did play it live though. Instead of releasing it, that idiot Chris Martin gave away his best song to another crappy English band band, Embrace, and let them ruin it. Coldplay did play it live at least once (Live at Valby Hallen, Denmark 21/11/02), and it was slower than the Embrace version, and absolutely fantastic.

USMaC

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2005
New Bern, NC
A few more:

Elvis
Seperate Ways
Old Shep (for pet lovers)

Pearl Jam
Last Kiss

Vince Gill
It Won't Be the Same This Year (sad Christmas)

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
If you could read my mind - performed by Johnny Cash
- Hands down, the saddest song that I have ever heard on a recording, especially, when one considers the circumstances under which he wrote it. His wife had just died, and he was dying and in constant pain. His vision was so bad that he was unable to read his lyrics sheets. So, his son read them aloud to him before each studio session.

That song was actually written by Gordon Lightfoot, 33 years before Johnny Cash died!

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Love Don't Live Here Anymore/im going down - Rose Royce

sugar on the floor - etta james

Why - Annie Lenox

ooh child - the five stairsteps

If you dont know me by now/holding back the years - simply red

Love TKO - teddy pendegrass

im still here - tom waits

kiss and say good bye - manhattans

hello its me - the isley brothers

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
my sad songs

newbie here...been lurking for a good while and finally felt like posting. :eek:

"brothers on a hotel bed" by death cab for cutie
"silent all these years" by tori amos
"raining in baltimore" by counting crows
"only one" by yellowcard (just kinda hits me with old memories and makes me sad)

and i have to agree with previous posters, "yesterday" by the beatles and "two beds and a coffee machine" by savage garden can make me shed a tear or two.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
I forgot:

Half Your Angels - Graham Nash.

It briefly got a fair amount of airplay after 9/11 and was on the recent double album Crosby/Nash.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Lots here :eek:

1. Nick Cave - People ain't no good
2. Laurie Anderson - My Eyes
3. Nina Simone/Cole Porter - Wild is the wind
4. Cesaria Evora - Tortura
5. A Filetta - A Muntagnera

Not songs, but worth a *sniffle* :)
Classical:
1. Marin Marais - La Rêveuse
2. Albinoni - Lontananza Crudel
3. Schubert - Andante - Piano Sonata in B (D960)
4. Pärt - Cantus in memory of Benjamin Britten
5. Philip Glass - The Hours (from the soundtrack)

NeoMac

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Mad World - Michael Andrews from the Donnie Darko Soundtrack
Don't Give Up - Peter Gaberial & Kate Bush

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.