Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
If anyone is ever fortunate enough to stumble across a 16yo Scapa whisky, buy it. Probably the nicest bottle I've ever drunk, at least in the ~£50 range, but I've never been able to find another one since.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
These days, in good quality wine stores, the amount of shelf space dedicated to US wines is minimal. Less than minimal. Other New World countries - for example, New Zealand (some excellent whites), Chile (some outstanding reds), Australia, South Africa - all fare far better in terms of customer recognition (and respect), known quality, and decent pricing.

And, that is not counting the Old World (France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria) where wine has been produced - ranging from table wine to sometimes exceptional wine - for thousands of years.

Ah yes. Most of Europe is playing catch up with us and the Australians in terms of wine technology. There's more efficiency with us, which keeps costs down even for good vineyards that put out beautiful wines. Chances are the wines you saw were Napa cabs from quality vineyards, you'll be paying maybe 10 pounds more than us, but they're good. If you ever get the chance to try something called Opus One on someone else's account, do try it. It's a very good wine, and very expensive. I've had it a few times in my lifetime and it's quality. The most I'll ever spend on a bottle is $80 for a very good year and to age it. $45 and under is ready to drink IMO.

Sparkling wine is easier, thankfully.

Re Napa, frankly, as far as there is good wine there (you have to search carefully for it), the city itself has turned into some sort of freakish adult Disney Land. The appellation itself is essentially meaningless. 'Napa' more often indicates a price premium more than any indication of quality.

Eh, it's true about any area in the US. Washington makes fine wines and crap wines. The age of finding steals under $10 before they rose in price due to demand are over. But the age of finding solid products in the 20-30 range is here to stay.

It's why I play my blind myself, point and pick game when it comes to trying new stuff. See my post in the beer and wine thread for further details. Personally, I'm thankful reislings haven't kicked off in the states. It's so easy to find a quality semi-dry for dessert or a bone dry one for a meal for a good price. Domestic and imported choices are amazing. I fear my love for dry reisling will go away if people stateside ever catch onto it. I don't think I'd like paying 30% more.

Last edited:
Reactions: mobilehaathi

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, agreed, they were awful.

Again, as with the whiskies, US wines were available when I was a student. (Paul Masson, Blossom Hill, Glen Ellen). They were uniformly awful.

And the beers were so bad even students wouldn't touch them unless absolutely nothing else was available. In fact, it took this forum to persuade me of the possible merits of American beers, and now, I will happily recommend the stuff made by Founder's to all and sundry.

We used to joke that it came as small surprise that a country that had introduced Prohibition should be so poor when producing alcoholic beverages.

These days, in good quality wine stores, the amount of shelf space dedicated to US wines is minimal. Less than minimal. Other New World countries - for example, New Zealand (some excellent whites), Chile (some outstanding reds), Australia, South Africa - all fare far better in terms of customer recognition (and respect), known quality, and decent pricing.

And, that is not counting the Old World (France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria) where wine has been produced - ranging from table wine to sometimes exceptional wine - for thousands of years.

Now, I was shown some Napa reserves this week, which I was informed are excellent. However, their price puts them alongside something akin to Amarone.

Prohibition destroyed beer making in the U.S. leaving us with a few big companies peddling substandard brews. I grew up hating Budweiser, a rice beer. Cheap to make, although Amheiser Bush is trying/tried to sell rice as something more expensive for a better taste. Right. :rolleyes: Fortunately micro brews started appearing in the 1970s and big companies have seen the light, the country has recovered quite nicely almost 100 years after prohibition, although probably still not as diverse as beer to be found in Europe, although I did taste a jalapeño beer which tasted... Ok. ;)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Prohibition destroyed beer making in the U.S. leaving us with a few big companies peddling substandard brews. I grew up hating Budweiser, a rice beer. Cheap to make, although Amheiser Bush is trying/tried to sell rice as something more expensive for a better taste. Right. :rolleyes: Fortunately micro brews started appearing in the 1970s and big companies have seen the light, the country has recovered quite nicely almost 100 years after prohibition, although probably still not as diverse as beer to be found in Europe, although I did taste a jalapeño beer which tasted... Ok. ;)
As much as I hate the niche-ism and fanboyism of craft beers, I thank whatever spirit you or anyone believes in that the movement took off very fast. It's easy to walk into a supermarket now, pick up a quality commercial beer that rates high and is great. And that there's a huge selection of craft at various price ranges. Hell, the beer flights available in California are fantastic too.

Reactions: D.T. and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
An interesting experience today, while purchasing a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 from Costco ($32 good price for a big bottle), I taste tested a sample of Remy Martin XO Cognac, 10 or 12 years old. I'm by no means an expert but I was surprised at 40% alcohol, how smooth and mild tasting this beverage was. It was so smooth it was kind of bland. Now I'm sure that's my unrefined taste buds talking, ;) but I much prefer the slight burn and taste of bourbon, and at $132 for a bottle of Cognac, I think I'd rather partake of a regular bottle of wine. :D

remy-martin-x-o-excellence-special-fine-champagne-cognac-france-10392518.jpg

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Chivas don't make a cognac. Their most expensive bottle, sans the Icon, is a $260 25 year blend of single malts. And unless I'm mistaken, Chivas merely buy whiskey from other houses for blending. Chivas has always been known for smooth and bland whiskey. The Scots are the biggest purchasers of used bourbon barrels for their whiskey. The rest flows to Mexico for extra anejo sipping tequilas and the Caribbean for their alcohols.

I was at Costco this morning and they were doing wine samples. Very good dry white from France. Don't recall the region. I did, however, see an employee skid on a dropped apple that had rolled over and kicked by people who weren't paying attention. Highlight of the week.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Oh my god, after all the usual threads - **** yeah! I love this topic! Whisky - I usually drink Eagle Rare - not the fanciest, but pretty good in my book. I also drink Scotch - but only Balvenie. I'm weird that way...

Reactions: 0388631

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Chivas don't make a cognac. Their most expensive bottle, sans the Icon, is a $260 25 year blend of single malts. And unless I'm mistaken, Chivas merely buy whiskey from other houses for blending. Chivas has always been known for smooth and bland whiskey. The Scots are the biggest purchasers of used bourbon barrels for their whiskey. The rest flows to Mexico for extra anejo sipping tequilas and the Caribbean for their alcohols.

I was at Costco this morning and they were doing wine samples. Very good dry white from France. Don't recall the region. I did, however, see an employee skid on a dropped apple that had rolled over and kicked by people who weren't paying attention. Highlight of the week.

My big mistake. :oops: It was Remy Martin XO $139 a bottle.

Eddie3345

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2016
Portland ,OR
I found a local Oregon oaked whiskey that is smokey , smooth , buttery. It has a medium octane punch. And nice vanilla finish. It's so good plus its super affordable at 26 bucks!!! And when I'm feeling fancy i go with lagavulin 16 yr.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
An interesting experience today, while purchasing a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 from Costco ($32 good price for a big bottle), I taste tested a sample of Remy Martin XO Cognac, 10 or 12 years old. I'm by no means an expert but I was surprised at 40% alcohol, how smooth and mild tasting this beverage was. It was so smooth it was kind of bland. Now I'm sure that's my unrefined taste buds talking, ;) but I much prefer the slight burn and taste of bourbon, and at $132 for a bottle of Cognac, I think I'd rather partake of a regular bottle of wine. :D

remy-martin-x-o-excellence-special-fine-champagne-cognac-france-10392518.jpg

Smooth is exactly how I like my whiskies - and indeed, my cognacs.

And - to my mind, and palate - XO is the sweet spot; my personal favourite.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Oh that. Yeah, didn't like that much. Camus have a better offering if you don't want to go with the most ubiquitous brand in the Cognac region.
[doublepost=1485732489][/doublepost]
Any 'Green Spot' whiskey drinkers here?
Just opened a bottle earlier or last week. Good. Must try and find yellow spot. I think it was you who asked me, actually.

Oh my god, after all the usual threads - **** yeah! I love this topic! Whisky - I usually drink Eagle Rare - not the fanciest, but pretty good in my book. I also drink Scotch - but only Balvenie. I'm weird that way...

ER is great for the price point. Age spec EC 12 is great, too, but only if you can still find a bottle of the old bottling.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Possibly a repeat post, but in addition to single malts, I really enjoy a good bourbon, sometimes straight up, and regularly in a couple of mixed drinks: 1) with a good ginger beer (i.e., Fever Tree, and I actually drink the "naturally light", it's terrific), and 2) a really delicious drink called an Odd Couple, equal parts bourbon and gin (yes gin ...), a couple of jiggers of rhubarb bitters, some dark cherries. Highly recommended to use a really complex gin like Hendricks.

My two "go to", they're both what I'd call mid-range, but both are outstanding, especially if you're mixing:

Bulleit Straight Bourbon - a light rye kick, oaky, a hint of caramel/toffee
4 Roses Small Batch - a little more berry, lighter oak, a _touch_ of spice

4 Roses has a regular, the Small Batch and a Single Barrel, the Small Batch is notably better for very little more than the standard, the Single Barrel is very good, but a good bit more, much better for a straight sipper.

Both are outstanding deals for under $35 / 750ml, and usually available for right at about $30.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Costco got flooded a couple months ago when they released water from Lake Conroe during Hurricane Harvey, is about to reopen. Refilling my supply of Wild Turkey, 101. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.