Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
"Why.....why is it that the people who are against abortion are the people you wouldn't wanna **** in the first place?"
-George Carlin

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Einstein. Funny guy - pretty clever too, apparently.

"You cannot prevent and prepare for war at the same time."

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."

"A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depends on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the measure as I have received and am still receiving"

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

"Only those who attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible."

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Plenty of quotes from Douglas Adams here, but this is my favourite

'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by'

Perfectly encapsulates my approach to work. :D

jive

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
"If you only ever read one book in your life I highly recommend... You keep your f***ing mouth shut."

From the back cover of Cut It Out by Banksy.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
whooleytoo said:
Einstein. Funny guy - pretty clever too, apparently.

Good man to quote. :)

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure.
(Albert Einstein)

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
(Albert Einstein)

A human being is part of a whole, called by us the 'Universe' - a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest - a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.
(Albert Einstein)

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
(Albert Einstein)

What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world.
(Albert Einstein)

Phat Elvis

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2005
Phila, PA
I've always loved John Lennon quotes:

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace."

"Live is what happens to you while your'e busy making other plans."

and I love this one

"A new study suggests that middle-aged adults who go on periodic drinking binges may face a heightened risk of dementia later on in life. The study is entitled, 'National Strategy for Victory in Iraq.'" --Tina Fey

L

Lau

As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.

Goethe

It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars.

Garrison Keillor

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
The fact that some girls wear ribbons, does not necessarily make them presents.

-dutch standup comedian ( whose name I forgot )

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
"Education is our passport to the future. It belongs to those tomorrow who prepare for it today." Malcolm X

"The rest of those who have gone before us cannot steady the unrest of those to follow." Not sure

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
"From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity."
-Munch Edvard

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? (Who Will Guard the Guards?)
-Plato "The Republic"

"Ye that dare oppose, not only the tyranny, but the tyrant, stand forth!"
-Thomas Paine

"Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherf%&*ing snakes on this motherf#$@ing plane!"
-Sammy L.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
"To refuse to face facts merely because they are unpleasant is
considered the mark of a weak character, except in the sphere of
religion."

Bertrand Russell - The Value of Free Thought.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.
-- Holden Caulfield

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Chundles said:
I dug another hole. It's filling with water.

ha ha! I almost fell of my chair! Your an 'ideas man' Chundles!

"All art is propaganda; on the other hand, not all propaganda is art"
George Orwell

"Our guitars are more clitoris substitutes than phallus ones. We stroke them in a nicer, gentler way."
Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead

"Did it ever occur to you that making a speech on economics is just like pissing down your leg? It seems hot to you, but not to anybody else?"
Lyndon Johnson to John Kenneth Galbraith

"If the terriers and bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow."
George W. Bush

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"
JFK

"And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."
JFK

"Freedom has many difficulties, and democracy is not perfect But we have never had to put a wall up to keep our people in, to prevent them from leaving us!"
JFK speaking at the Berlin Wall

I could start on Simpons quotes but I will leave that to someone else. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.