Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Favourite Star Wars film?

• Episode I - The Phantom Menace

• Episode II - Attack of the Clones

• Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

• Episode IV - A New Hope

• Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

• Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

• Episode IV - A New Hope (Remastered)

• Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (Remastered)

• Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (Remastered)

• Episode IV - A New Hope (Adywan Remaster)

Results are only viewable after voting.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Comic relief implies that he is funny. IF that was what they were shooting for, they missed by a wide mile.

It was. Lucas singlehandedly wrote the script for Episode 1. He said that Jar Jar was the funniest character and wouldn't hear otherwise. (I promise this is true ... will try and find the source)

It's a real shame because you can see just how hard they tried in Episode 1 to make great visuals. The CGI is fantastic and there are a lot of models/real backdrops. It does look stunning and considerably better than the greenscreen fest of Episode 2 & 3. Lucas just blew it with a crap script. His overconfidence was his weakness. (your faith in your friends is yours)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It was. Lucas singlehandedly wrote the script for Episode 1. He said that Jar Jar was the funniest character and wouldn't hear otherwise. (I promise this is true ... will try and find the source)

It's a real shame because you can see just how hard they tried in Episode 1 to make great visuals. The CGI is fantastic and there are a lot of models/real backdrops. It does look stunning and considerably better than the greenscreen fest of Episode 2 & 3. Lucas just blew it with a crap script. His overconfidence was his weakness. (your faith in your friends is yours)

Did he say something about, these movies are for kids? Well no, maybe a little, but that does not get him off the hook for the grown up kid fans. :p

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Did he say something about, these movies are for kids? Well no, maybe a little, but that does not get him off the hook for the grown up kid fans. :p

Yeah he did I'm sure, I remember something about that.

But the thing is, in the '70s, a talking droid was cool for kids. Pretty cool for adults. Heck, still pretty cool now.

A clumsy Rastafarian CGI fish, on the other hand, has never, and will never, be funny or cool.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Guess i'm the only one who like the "Clone Wars" and all of the mini series afterwards

Starwars Rebels is pretty go too even though they kidded it up

I'm sure there are others who enjoy it. I just don't like my Star Wars being cartoons for whatever reason. And I don't mind reading EU stuff, though it annoys me when people quote it as canon like everybody else is stupid (even if some of it technically is canon). Congratulations, you've read more fan fiction than me. Give me a question about the films, not the damn Yuuzang Vong war or whatever the heck it is. :p

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm sure there are others who enjoy it. I just don't like my Star Wars being cartoons for whatever reason. And I don't mind reading EU stuff, though it annoys me when people quote it as canon like everybody else is stupid (even if some of it technically is canon). Congratulations, you've read more fan fiction than me. Give me a question about the films, not the damn Yuuzang Vong war or whatever the heck it is. :p

IMHO... it was the only way to broaded/expand the series, movies and actors are expensive. Not only that... you can do a whole more CGI wise with an animated series. vs a real movie. you can add lightyears to a story with 2 seasons of animated shows vs two movies and or a bunch a books (not that i'm against books)

And if you like Anime... its a plus

Reactions: keysofanxiety

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
OK I said no judgements, but who voted their favourite as Episode 2? Really?! It's the absolute worst of the lot, yes including TPM.

It's got tremendously bad dialogue in those horrible love scenes between Padme and Anakin, the CGI and general visuals/lighting throughout the film is disgraceful, that entire scene where 3PO gets popped onto a battle droid is just dreadful ... Anakin is a whiny petulant teenager ... and young Boba Fett? "Gettim Dad gettim!" Really? Does everybody need a damn origin story, Lucas?

I guess this leads me to my next question -- what's the worst Star Wars film and why? :D

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
IMHO... it was the only way to broaded/expand the series, movies and actors are expensive. Not only that... you can do a whole more CGI wise with an animated series. vs a real movie. you can add lightyears to a story with 2 seasons of animated shows vs two movies and or a bunch a books (not that i'm against books)

And if you like Anime... its a plus

Oh yeah very true, I can definitely appreciate why people like it. The whole EU rant wasn't directed at you :D

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Decree No. 1042: From here on there will be no anonymous MacRumors Star Wars polls, lol. :D

I don't mind people voting for what they vote for, even if it is Episode I/II/III, but at least have the fruits to try and argue the case!

Probably some little gremlin trying to stir up a pot of emotion ... you've succeeded, my friend! :p

Last edited:

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I mean come on lol

Episode 2 was begining of the Clone Wars... and if you watch the animated series, it shows how Skywalker was slowing walking the path of the Dark side, got big battles, Darth Maul returns, Fleets vs fleets, sith vs jedi.. and all the good stuff

It wasn't that bad lol

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I mean come on lol

Episode 2 was begining of the Clone Wars... and if you watch the animated series, it shows how Skywalker was slowing walking the path of the Dark side, got big battles, Darth Maul returns, Fleets vs fleets, sith vs jedi.. and all the good stuff

It wasn't that bad lol

I think you may be forgetting the bad scenes from that film. They're coarse, and rough, and irritating ... and they get everywhere. Not like the original trilogy. The originals are soft ... and smooth.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I mean come on lol

It wasn't that bad lol

I was intrigued by the idea of a clone army and war. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Got 2.5 hrs to devote to Star Wars, watch this documentary. For myself an outstanding trip backwards although I have not watched the entire thing. I did see Cindy Williams (Laverne and Shirley) audition for the part of Leia and then Carrie Fisher auditioned and wow, what a difference. Carrie said they told her she had the part as long as she went to a fat farm and lost 10 lbs, lol. Yep, that's Hollywood. A shocker.... Luke Starkiller!! Somehow I had not realized that American Graffiti was Mr. Lucas's first BIG film.:

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Watched A New Hope yesterday, great movie, but I'm convinced that this is a case where the music is so perfectly attuned to the story and presentation that it makes the movie 30% better. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think the technical term is "Icky"

Now you've done it, possibly brought down the wraith of the MacRumor beer aficionatos on your head!! Here, let me start. :):) Are you a Bud/Miller Lite-kinda guy? Belgium Whites are pretty darn good. Maybe the problem is unrefined taste buds, a case of lowendbeerlover. ;) :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.