Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajnadershahi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
This is an article about computer security from the FBI's perspective. But about 2/3 way down there is a section with heading of Some Surprises, which tells of Mac's and FBI using them as the preferred platform. Interesting reading...

Link to TheRegister article.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Great stuff -

Dave also had a great quotation for us: "If you're a bad guy and you want to frustrate law enforcement, use a Mac." Basically, police and government agencies know what to do with seized Windows machines. They can recover whatever information they want, with tools that they've used countless times. The same holds true, but to a lesser degree, for Unix-based machines. But Macs evidently stymie most law enforcement personnel. They just don't know how to recover data on them. So what do they do? By and large, law enforcement personnel in American end up sending impounded Macs needing data recovery to the acknowledged North American Mac experts: the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Evidently the Mounties have built up a knowledge and technique for Mac forensics that is second to none.

That's friggin hysterical :D

D

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Originally posted by virividox
good article.

i guess the canadians are just light years ahead of everyone else when it comes to mac usage hehe at least their law enforcement is

I just got my first Mac ...
Now I need to signup to be a Mountie :D

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
When i was little i used to get confused and think that the USA was windows, and Canada was Mac.

Remember...this was when I was 5 years old, and a fervent mac enthusiast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.