Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Well that sucks. I was really hoping that DIRECTV Now could force my family away from the expensive regular DIRECTV service.

Reactions: Peter K.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Now that I'm thinking about it again, the only upsetting thing is the zero-rating, right?

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Now that I'm thinking about it again, the only upsetting thing is the zero-rating, right?

Yes, that's one of the biggest concerns. The other big concern is AT&T owning both DirecTV and Time Warner. This could give them unprecedented advantage over other providers. Especially with the renewed attacks on net neutrality that will be coming in the near future.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Yes, that's one of the biggest concerns. The other big concern is AT&T owning both DirecTV and Time Warner. This could give them unprecedented advantage over other providers. Especially with the renewed attacks on net neutrality that will be coming in the near future.
I'm not to concerned about it. They will more then likely have the same restrictions place on them that Comcast did when they bought NBC/Universal. So far I haven't heard of too many problems with NBC/Universal content.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
His only interests in this is due to his very thin skin.

Sure thing, it certainly wouldn't have anything to do with the large media conglomerates that were shamelessly in the back pocket of the other candidate.

Back to the point, there are definitely pros and cons that need to be weighed carefully before any decision is made on the merger.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Sure thing, it certainly wouldn't have anything to do with the large media conglomerates that were shamelessly in the back pocket of the other candidate.

Back to the point, there are definitely pros and cons that need to be weighed carefully before any decision is made on the merger.

Just to be clear. Trump is also bought and paid for. If you don't believe me watch and see who he surrounds himself with.

Here's the thing with the media bias that people keep bringing up. While the talking heads are biased. The higher up you go, the more conservative it gets. And all they care about is $$$.

Personally I am not happy with this merger. I believe content owners and distributors should remain separate. Just as I believe ISP providers should be separate from pay tv providers.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Personally I am not happy with this merger. I believe content owners and distributors should remain separate. Just as I believe ISP providers should be separate from pay tv providers.

Hear, hear! We should go back to the pre-1996 regulations.

Reactions: tonyr6

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Sounds like a fair competitive advantage. These OTT TV services are really going to aggressively innovate,and drive down prices in the next few years. The FCC lost the zero rating argument already, I think they should turn their attentions to data caps before it is too late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.