Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
I know there is probably a lot of info on this stuff but figured I would post up my specific job. I have been giving about 100 pictures of a friends family to make a video with. Some of the pics are from the 1930's all the way to present. I was wondering the best way to make the still photos apear on tv and FCP. Any filters witihin FCP to help make them look better and not jitter while animating the motion and such? Also what do you suggest is a good DPI to scan these pictures in. Some are very small and will need to be blown up.

Techniques would be much apreciated, I figured to do basic fade ins and outs and dissolves. Have some move in and out of frame with different music. Im open to anything though. Thanks in advance

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Prepare Each Photo In Photoshop

I know there is probably a lot of info on this stuff but figured I would post up my specific job. I have been giving about 100 pictures of a friends family to make a video with. Some of the pics are from the 1930's all the way to present. I was wondering the best way to make the still photos apear on tv and FCP. Any filters witihin FCP to help make them look better and not jitter while animating the motion and such? Also what do you suggest is a good DPI to scan these pictures in. Some are very small and will need to be blown up.

Techniques would be much apreciated, I figured to do basic fade ins and outs and dissolves. Have some move in and out of frame with different music. Im open to anything though. Thanks in advance
Use Photoshop to prepare each photo into video size. Do you have any books on FCP? The Peachpit QuickStart book has a section on exactly how to do this.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
Use Photoshop to prepare each photo into video size. Do you have any books on FCP? The Peachpit QuickStart book has a section on exactly how to do this.

to follow up...

you specifically need to change the pixel aspect in photoshop to whatever you are using in FCP (DV is .9) and there are presets in PS for you to choose. For some reason FCP and DVDSP have never handled still images very well when I've used them, but converting them in PS beforehand has helped.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
This can be a major issue as I have about 100 photos. Maybe ill try to use iphoto or imovie to make this.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
This can be a major issue as I have about 100 photos. Maybe ill try to use iphoto or imovie to make this.

The major issue side of it is getting the photos scanned into the computer which you are gonna have to do regardless of what software to use to edit it. If you want more control over the photos use Final Cut. If you want the software to do all the work of animating the photos use iMovie.

Lethal

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Boinx software's FotoMagico is also a nice easy to use slideshow program that allows the user to fine tune everything more than iPhoto/iMovie. Total Mac-like app with tight iLife integration.

VideoTour

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
New Mexico
One way to quickly capture the photos, rather than scanning individually or en masse (and then cutting them apart in Photoshop), is to use a decent digital still camera.
On a recent project with about 130 pics I set up the camera on a tripod, lit a tabletop nicely (hard from both sides, to avoid any glare.. and turn off the overheads) and then just ran through the stack of photos shooting a quick, macro, 6 megapixel image of each.
Unless you have serious space concerns I woudn't bother resizing at all... since the large image gives you ample room to move and zoom in FCP without ever losing any resolution.
This was SO much easier than the daunting task of individual scans, and worked quite well.
You can also create a Photoshop Action and Droplet to rapidly adjust the pixel shape on an entire batch of pics. You might even throw an Autolevel step into that Action. (Be sure to end with Save As into a new folder, to preserve your originals)

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Ya video tour i was gonna scan in a few at a time then use Shop to cut it up . Setting up an action is a great idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.