FCP and Still Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Espnetboy3, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

I know there is probably a lot of info on this stuff but figured I would post up my specific job. I have been giving about 100 pictures of a friends family to make a video with. Some of the pics are from the 1930's all the way to present. I was wondering the best way to make the still photos apear on tv and FCP. Any filters witihin FCP to help make them look better and not jitter while animating the motion and such? Also what do you suggest is a good DPI to scan these pictures in. Some are very small and will need to be blown up.

Techniques would be much apreciated, I figured to do basic fade ins and outs and dissolves. Have some move in and out of frame with different music. Im open to anything though. Thanks in advance

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Prepare Each Photo In Photoshop

Use Photoshop to prepare each photo into video size. Do you have any books on FCP? The Peachpit QuickStart book has a section on exactly how to do this.

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

to follow up...

you specifically need to change the pixel aspect in photoshop to whatever you are using in FCP (DV is .9) and there are presets in PS for you to choose. For some reason FCP and DVDSP have never handled still images very well when I've used them, but converting them in PS beforehand has helped.

5. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

This can be a major issue as I have about 100 photos. Maybe ill try to use iphoto or imovie to make this.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The major issue side of it is getting the photos scanned into the computer which you are gonna have to do regardless of what software to use to edit it. If you want more control over the photos use Final Cut. If you want the software to do all the work of animating the photos use iMovie.

Lethal

7. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Boinx software's FotoMagico is also a nice easy to use slideshow program that allows the user to fine tune everything more than iPhoto/iMovie. Total Mac-like app with tight iLife integration.

8. VideoTour macrumors newbie

One way to quickly capture the photos, rather than scanning individually or en masse (and then cutting them apart in Photoshop), is to use a decent digital still camera.
    On a recent project with about 130 pics I set up the camera on a tripod, lit a tabletop nicely (hard from both sides, to avoid any glare.. and turn off the overheads) and then just ran through the stack of photos shooting a quick, macro, 6 megapixel image of each.
    Unless you have serious space concerns I woudn't bother resizing at all... since the large image gives you ample room to move and zoom in FCP without ever losing any resolution.
    This was SO much easier than the daunting task of individual scans, and worked quite well.
    You can also create a Photoshop Action and Droplet to rapidly adjust the pixel shape on an entire batch of pics. You might even throw an Autolevel step into that Action. (Be sure to end with Save As into a new folder, to preserve your originals)

9. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya video tour i was gonna scan in a few at a time then use Shop to cut it up . Setting up an action is a great idea.

10. seany916 macrumors 6502

fix your photos on PS BEFORE importing into FCP

best bet: use iPhoto to make a slideshow, export as quicktime, then import into FCP