Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob Jovi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
London
Hi,

I was wondering how many people on here use FCP on a macbook, and if they have any problems doing so because of the small size of the screen?

ac2102

macrumors member
May 12, 2003
Bristol - England
I have edited using FCP on my iBook without major issue in the past. Don't get me wrong, it is far from ideal and I only used it as a last resort, but it was fine really.
Speed wise you should be absolutely fine. If my iBook can cope with it OK, then your macbook would be fine. Just make sure there is plenty of nice RAM.
Screen wise, you will doubtless find it easier to work with a larger screen. However, it is worth noting that the Macbook Screen (in pixel size) is only marginally smaller than that of the old 15" Powerbook, a computer that i happily used with FCP. The Macbook also powers external monitors up to the Apple 23".
All in all, for an entry level computer, it will handle FCP without hassle. The only issue is whether or not you can cope with the small (visually speaking) screen. Personally, if i wasn't planning on using it for a living or for a long period of time, i would be happy with the Macbook.

VideoTour

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
New Mexico
Okay, it sounds as if all of you have a workaround for a problem I just encountered.

I have an extra version of FCP4 in the office, and my wife has a new MacBook at home. I thought it would be great to simply load the FCP4 onto the MacBook.. and let her and our nieces/nephews "play" with it (hoping they would have a better grip on what I'm doing all day at work.)

But when I attempted to load FCP4 I got an error message that told me it was unable to find an AGP graphics card.
A bit of research later and I found THIS on the Apple site required tech specs for FCP Studio: "AGP Quartz Extreme or PCI Express graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not supported on systems using the Intel Extreme Graphics 950 GMA)"

Assuming the same must be true for FCP4, I surrendered.
Have all of you got something other than the Intel Extreme Graphics 950 GMA in your MacBooks, or (most likely:D ) am I missing something obvious here?

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Okay, it sounds as if all of you have a workaround for a problem I just encountered.

I have an extra version of FCP4 in the office, and my wife has a new MacBook at home. I thought it would be great to simply load the FCP4 onto the MacBook.. and let her and our nieces/nephews "play" with it (hoping they would have a better grip on what I'm doing all day at work.)

But when I attempted to load FCP4 I got an error message that told me it was unable to find an AGP graphics card.
A bit of research later and I found THIS on the Apple site required tech specs for FCP Studio: "AGP Quartz Extreme or PCI Express graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not supported on systems using the Intel Extreme Graphics 950 GMA)"

Have all of you got something other than the Intel Extreme Graphics 950 GMA in your MacBooks, or (most likely:D ) am I missing something obvious here?

You can't run FCP 4 on the MacBook. The only version you can run an Intel Mac is Final Cut Pro 5.1.

http://www.apple.com/crossgrade

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007

when I get my macbook pro will fcp work if I have the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics card? Is this just a problem with the macbooks?

VideoTour

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
New Mexico
when I get my macbook pro will fcp work if I have the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graph

No worry, zblaxberg.
Absolutely Final Cut Studio 5.1 WILL run on a MacBook Pro, since I'm using it every day.
But I still see the Apple site's requirement that a system must have something other than the only graphics card available in a MacBook.
("Final Cut Studio is not supported on systems using the Intel Extreme Graphics 950 GMA," from the technical requirements section of FCS's page at apple.com):rolleyes:
Is this simply incorrect? Again, the likelihood is that I simply don't 'get it,' but I'd love some help. (The copy of FCP4 I have is "Academic," so it's upgradeable.)

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Anyone Who Fails To Upgrade To FCS For $199 Is Overlooking A Very Good Deal

No worry, zblaxberg.
Absolutely Final Cut Studio 5.1 WILL run on a MacBook Pro, since I'm using it every day.
But I still see the Apple site's requirement that a system must have something other than the only graphics card available in a MacBook.
("Final Cut Studio is not supported on systems using the Intel Extreme Graphics 950 GMA," from the technical requirements section of FCS's page at apple.com):rolleyes:

Is this simply incorrect? Again, the likelihood is that I simply don't 'get it,' but I'd love some help. (The copy of FCP4 I have is "Academic," so it's upgradeable.)
Not only simply but TOTALLY INCORRECT. It runs fine on a MacBook. Only advanced Motion work will fail.

You need to send in that Install disk with $199 IMMEDIATELY. Deadline was March 19.

Too bad who missed the deadline. Bummer :(

mac-eroni

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2007
Not only simply but TOTALLY INCORRECT. It runs fine on a MacBook. Only advanced Motion work will fail.

so other than Motion, what else will fail on the MacBook? I was thinking of getting a MacBook because I like the portability of the 13" screen, but was told by a sales rep at the Apple Store I coulden't run FCP on it. I will be using FCP and Shake predominantly.

the MB and MBP have the same FSB, RAM, and CPU... woulden't they be essentially exactly the same performance aside from the graphics card?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Shake In MacBook I Don't Know - Anybody?

so other than Motion, what else will fail on the MacBook? I was thinking of getting a MacBook because I like the portability of the 13" screen, but was told by a sales rep at the Apple Store I coulden't run FCP on it. I will be using FCP and Shake predominantly.

the MB and MBP have the same FSB, RAM, and CPU... woulden't they be essentially exactly the same performance aside from the graphics card?
Those Apple Employees don't read enough reports from users to know. We have had numerous reports FCP works great on MacBooks including basic Motion stuff. I don't know about Shake. Is Shake 3D card dependent or not? If it is, can you wait for the X3000 IG in the June MacBook '07? That should solve the problem.

mac-eroni

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2007
Or you could get a MacBook pro

I'm looking for something a bit more portable. I would get a 12" if they still made one, but they don't. I'm hoping they will bring one out soon. If not, I might seriously have to look at a MacBook... that is why I asked.

Carl Spackler

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Outer Space
I've done it, but the screen size makes it relatively painful.

How's the performance? For those of you who have run FCP on an array of Macs, I'd like your thoughts on my situation. I have a dual 2 G5 with 3 gigs of RAM I'm considering selling and picking up a dual 2 core2duo Macbook. I'd consider this move a value-minded sidestep. My G5 will was the last before PCIe became the standard and there is not even PCI-X on my model. As it stands, other than FW800 and internal drive expandability, there is not much more that I could do with my G5. Plus, I figure the Macbook will hold its value longer than my desktop.

Any thoughts from the gallery?

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
How's the performance? For those of you who have run FCP on an array of Macs, I'd like your thoughts on my situation. I have a dual 2 G5 with 3 gigs of RAM I'm considering selling and picking up a dual 2 core2duo Macbook. I'd consider this move a value-minded sidestep. My G5 will was the last before PCIe became the standard and there is not even PCI-X on my model. As it stands, other than FW800 and internal drive expandability, there is not much more that I could do with my G5. Plus, I figure the Macbook will hold its value longer than my desktop.

I'm sure the performance is just fine but I'd highly reccomend a MacBook Pro.

Final Cut Pro should run just fine on a MacBook, but anything 3d (Motion) you'll start feeling the lag.

Carl Spackler

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Outer Space
I'm sure the performance is just fine but I'd highly reccomend a MacBook Pro.

Final Cut Pro should run just fine on a MacBook, but anything 3d (Motion) you'll start feeling the lag.

Thank you for the input. A Macbook Pro would be pretty ideal, but sadly, outside of my price range at the time. I figure that a Macbook might be a good holdout until I've saved some more bucks.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I couldn't see running FCP to be any fun on a MacBook, sure it will work, but I would rather hold out for a 12" MBP, there is a large market for the 12" so Apple will make one. It's just a matter of when.

nownot

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
tx
im using on a macbook right now. not to bad, i mean (got this hint from the forums) open clip in quicktime export to dv then import. video gets a little jerky with a few layers but once you export it it looks great. but totally do able and not to bad.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

Carl,
What is it that you are looking to gain by moving from your G5 to a Macbook right now? Unless there is something specific your G5 is not giving you that a Macbook would I wouldn't buy it. Especially right now with all the rumors of new Mac Pros possibly being announced at NAB. Once new MPs go you'll see a lot of current MPs appear in Apple's refurb section and a greatly reduced price.

For light editing a laptop's ergonomics can be tolerable, but if you doing a lot of it you need a bigger screen and real mouse. You can always hook it up to externals, but that hampers the portability aspect (which is pretty much the only reason to get a laptop).

For a general purpose machine that'd I do a bit of editing on I'd definitely consider a laptop for the convenience factor. But for a machine primarily/mostly for editing I'd never look at a laptop unless portability was a must have requirement.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.