Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frederico Luna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Recife - Brazil
If you don't like the out-of-box experience of OS X, there is nothing wrong with using 3rd party utilities to make it work how you want them. 3rd party utilities are part of the OS X ecosystem and are a part of what make it great. Not all of Apple's first-party software is going to satisfy everyone. If I couldn't customize my OS X experience to my preference, I'd probably be using Linux instead.

I know that, but it's way better when the feature is native. On my setup, for example, uBar only works if you put the dock at the right or left side, not at the bottom. And the dock does not go way, it's still there only hidden.

Since the dock is still there, Sizeup does not fill the screen entirely because it mantains a small margin from where the dock is.

mrnoglue

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
I would love if OSX/Mac Hardware built in the following support:

Software:
  • Siri
  • iLife and iTunes redesign. Break up apps into "Books," "Movies," "Music" etc. (At least for Macs. Leave iTunes the same for windows compatibility, or better yet, move it into iCloud and have access to apps on the server.)
  • Apple Pay
  • Updated Time Machine with more granular options for backup. Or iCloud Backup
  • Updated Dashboard / Remove Dashboard
  • Extensions - For Mac App Store Apps to remove burdensome sandboxing restrictions
  • Updated Utility apps.
  • Squash connectivity bugs
  • iOS parity on things like health/home/passbook/newstand etc.

Hardware:
  • Touch ID
  • Retina Display's Across all Devices
  • Better Gaming Hardware (yeah right ;))

Abba1

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Do you use a cookie manager or do you clear your Safari cookies often? If so, then you might accidentally be deleting the ones that affect iTunes. iTunes uses WebKit as well, so it is equally affected when you clear cookies and thus requires you to log in every time.

I had this problem with the app Cookie.

Many thanks! That may well be the problem and, best of all, it would have nothing to do with the OS, which is basically beautiful.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Bettersnaptool is the best for managing windows. Unfortunately I hate mission control.. Spaces and expose in snow Leo were THE BEST.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Hi!

I've been a mac user for about 4 years now (SL, Lion, ML, Mavericks and now Yosemite). I love the Mac, but there are two features that I still think that Mac OS X should have:

- A task bar of some sort instead of the dock.
- Simpler windows maximizing.

I'm using two separate apps to emulate Windows behavior on these two items (uBar and SizeUp).

What do you guys think?

I have been a Mac user for 14 years and a PC user since 1987 (I still use PCs both at home and at work, although my main home machine is my rMBP).

Taskbar? nope. What for? The Windows 7 taskbar was pretty much a rip off of the Dock anyway. If you want a start menu, then drag your applications folder to the Dock. TBH I like using spotlight to open my apps.

Maximise... Nah. not bothered.

----------

Bettersnaptool is the best for managing windows. Unfortunately I hate mission control.. Spaces and expose in snow Leo were THE BEST.

Expose in Leopard was better!

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Didn't Exposé in Mac OS X Snow Leopard place everything neatly in a grid? I'm kinda sad to see they've changed that back to how things were on Mac OS X Panther - Leopard with the introduction of Mission Control.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Didn't Exposé in Mac OS X Snow Leopard place everything neatly in a grid? I'm kinda sad to see they've changed that back to how things were on Mac OS X Panther - Leopard with the introduction of Mission Control.

Yes, you’re right. I thought it was just the cluster as we had before.

http://youtu.be/9AoAZnHFJ5E

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Features Mac OS X should have

Most web pages are titled. Safari should have a title bar.

Support for Microsoft Exchange Web Services (EWS) should include shared accounts, for which passwords are not given to end users.

Bettersnaptool is the best for managing windows. …

I use BetterSnapTool, but I more often use – and prefer – SizeWell.

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2003
Hi!

I've been a mac user for about 4 years now (SL, Lion, ML, Mavericks and now Yosemite). I love the Mac, but there are two features that I still think that Mac OS X should have:

I'm using two separate apps to emulate Windows behavior on these two items (uBar and SizeUp).

What do you guys think?

Anybody have a "dream implementation" of a Finder replacement they would like to see? I'd like to get some community input before I tackle such a project.

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Taskbar? Hell no. The Dock is OS X.

As for the maximise button being changed in Yosemite, I'm not happy. I like the old 'zoom to fit contents' function (I know it's still there via alt clicking or double clicking the titlebar, but it should be the other way around, does any even use full screen?), it makes sense. I've never been a fan of full-screen applications in OS X, it reminds me too much of the days of computers that weren't capable of multitasking, I don't want to go back to that time. It also reminds me of phones or tablets which just make me feel claustrophobic. I wish instead of becoming more like iOS, that OS X would start distancing itself from the horribly confined and limited experience of mobile computing and fully embrace the powerful hardware at its disposal (fat chance, right?).

Also, Notification Center and Launchpad are completely useless. I never use either of them apart from to tidy them up now and again. Notification Center, in theory, isn't a bad idea but hasn't yet been implemented cleanly. But Launchpad is just redundant, the Dock is the primary application launcher and after that its Spotlight, there's no need for a third.

The Finder... I've always had a love-hate relationship with our lights-on-but-nobody's-home smiling friend. While most of the major problems that the Finder had in early OS X releases have been fixed, the main feature that was never fixed/reimplemented is the spatial Finder (older Mac users will know what I mean). This together with windows not remembering their size and position. This annoys me to no end.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
To each their own.

desktop.png

Pretty quiet today.

Very minimalist Dock: Finder, Downloads and Trash Can. Launch apps using LaunchPad or Spotlight.

I never use Maximize but frequently use Full Screen. Alt-tab between apps. 3 finger swipe between full screen windows.

If a desktop gets too busy, I create another one. Also true for Safari. When researching something with a lot of google hits, I create another full screen Safari window.

DS

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Hi!

What do you guys think?

How is clicking a green dot too difficult? :eek:

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Not necessarily a feature, but I do wish that "full-screen" animation would be sped up. At least to the level of 10.6.

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
The only feature from Windows I want is with the folders always on top in Finder. I use Xtra Finder but it doesn't really work well when choosing files as attachments or import into Pages and a few other situations.

Other than that leave OS X as is.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
The ability in Windows to hover over apps in task bar and have full size windows pop up helping you find what you need quickly. Finding windows in OSX is clumsy in comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.