Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Also, AFAIK, TLC versus MLC shouldn't make a difference as that is referring to flash only (not RAM). Does safari store webpages in flash? I didn't thin it did, though am unsure.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
And the i5 doesnt even come close to the 6/6 Plus in performance/experience

Taking the obvious differences such as screen size and Touch ID out of the equation, the iPhone 5 isn't all that much slower than the 6+.
It is actually preferable in some respects (aside from pocketability) in that apps & browser tabs reload less frequently, and the camera is better (no Monet effect).

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Taking the obvious differences such as screen size and Touch ID out of the equation, the iPhone 5 isn't all that much slower than the 6+.
It is actually preferable in some respects (aside from pocketability) in that apps & browser tabs reload less frequently, and the camera is better (no Monet effect).

This is borderline delusional, the iPhone 5 camera is better then the 6? Thats a joke, 6 and 6 Plus also absolutely kills the 5 in low light . And the difference between the 6 and 5 in performance is actually very dramatic, the A8 is literally like 4-5 A6's cores crammed in 2 cores in the A8(worth of performance) the A8 is over 4x faster then the A6 in tons of operations and sometimes even 10x faster. Rendering HD videos on the 6/6 Plus is years faster then it is on the 5, etc.

Havent had any issues with updated iOS 8 Apps reloading at all, hmm..thats weird. It can hold a few apps open in the background for me on my 6 Plus before things start reloading, You have all these countless issues with your device that not much people really are experiencing ... id be frustrated too if i was you

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
This is borderline delusional, the iPhone 5 camera is better then the 6? Thats a joke, 6 and 6 Plus also absolutely kills the 5 in low light . And the difference between the 6 and 5 in performance is actually very dramatic, the A8 is literally like 4-5 A6's cores crammed in 2 cores in the A8(worth of performance) the A8 is over 4x faster then the A6 in tons of operations and sometimes even 10x faster. Rendering HD videos on the 6/6 Plus is years faster then it is on the 5, etc.

Havent had any issues with updated iOS 8 Apps reloading at all, hmm..thats weird. You have all these countless issues with your device id be frustrated too if i was you

Sure the 6+ camera is better in some respects, extreme macro and low light shots come instantly to mind but the i5 doesn't have that awful Monet overblown noise reduction effect. The 6+ camera has a fatal flaw that the i5's camera doesn't have and there is a massive thread on this forum regarding it.

I wasn't saying that I would trade my 6+ in and start using my old i5 again, not that I could because I gave it to my father, but the performance gap is nowhere near as great as you're making out. I've owned both phones and they have strengths and weaknesses. Sure in Geekbench tests and certain games the 6+ is going to trump the i5 but when it comes to loading apps, browsing the web and general day to day use, there is very little performance difference between the two.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Havent had any issues with updated iOS 8 Apps reloading at all, hmm..thats weird. You have all these countless issues with your device id be frustrated too if i was you

Perhaps he meant 5S? Specs aside (I honestly never looked up the camera specs to compare) we produce similar pictures with our 5S and 6, to the point that I can;t regularly guess which device took what; we upload all full quality photos to flickr which gives you a ton of easily readable data about the photos. There are a handful of threads where mud is being slung from both ends lol. It's kind of silly. I am not a photographer. I just take pics the best I can. Most of these pics, to me, are pretty darn similar.

I had a discussion the other day where a few folks tried to tell me OIS doesn't do anything to video. Maybe it doesn't, but my videos taken on the plus seem less "bouncy". I freely admit none of these "tests" were controlled in any way. I simply take video with multiple devices in similar settings and look at the end result. At the end of the day, aside from a slightly improved video performance, I don't see a really marked difference in the cameras between the 5s, 6, and 6 plus, as an end user.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Perhaps he meant 5S? Specs aside (I honestly never looked up the camera specs to compare) we produce similar pictures with our 5S and 6, to the point that I can;t regularly guess which device took what; we upload all full quality photos to flickr which gives you a ton of easily readable data about the photos. There are a handful of threads where mud is being slung from both ends lol. It's kind of silly. I am not a photographer. I just take pics the best I can. Most of these pics, to me, are pretty darn similar.

I had a discussion the other day where a few folks tried to tell me OIS doesn't do anything to video. Maybe it doesn't, but my videos taken on the plus seem less "bouncy". I freely admit none of these "tests" were controlled in any way. I simply take video with multiple devices in similar settings and look at the end result. At the end of the day, aside from a slightly improved video performance, I don't see a really marked difference in the cameras between the 5s, 6, and 6 plus, as an end user.

No no he actually means the 5. I know the 5S is not too much of a difference from the 6 and 6 Plus, its because the Apple A7/Apple A8 uses custom designed ISP's from Apple, which brings big gains on the Image processing side for the 5S/6.

But there is quite a differene between the 5 and 6 in alot of cases

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
No no he actually means the 5. I know the 5S is not too much of a difference from the 6 and 6 Plus, its because the Apple A7/Apple A8 uses custom designed ISP's from Apple, which brings big gains on the Image processing side for the 5S/6.

Well then I got nothing. LOL

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Specs yes but real world performance? Not so much. For someone who can't see any lag whatsoever on the 6+, and fails to see any problems with tab reloading, I'm amazed that you can see massive differences in performance between the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 6.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Sure the 6+ camera is better in some respects, extreme macro and low light shots come instantly to mind but the i5 doesn't have that awful Monet overblown noise reduction effect. The 6+ camera has a fatal flaw that the i5's camera doesn't have and there is a massive thread on this forum regarding it.

I wasn't saying that I would trade my 6+ in and start using my old i5 again, not that I could because I gave it to my father, but the performance gap is nowhere near as great as you're making out. I've owned both phones and they have strengths and weaknesses. Sure in Geekbench tests and certain games the 6+ is going to trump the i5 but when it comes to loading apps, browsing the web and general day to day use, there is very little performance difference between the two.

http://www.dxomark.com/Phones/Apple-iPhone-6-and-6-Plus-review-Bigger-and-better.-Apple-set-gold-standard-for-smartphone-image-quality

Sure the 6 and 6 Plus camera is not perfect in all aspects, but it sure it a whole lot better then the 5 in alot of instances and cases. The 6 and 6 Plus both score a whole 10 points more on DxoMark in which they test cameras with professionals with professional machinery in a laboratory setting

And wrong...i certainly notice quite a difference in performance the 6 And 6 Plus both feel noticeably more snappier in every operation, switching between apps, loading certain websites on the 6 compared to the 5 is gains of over 10 seconds and more when loading certain websites, not to mention the better LTE support with support for faster LTE. I notice a very percetiple difference in performance between using both. I noticed a very nice moticeable performance increase from going from the 5 to the 5S , with apps coming "alive" in the app switcher noticeably faster and is basically instantly responsive

Big title games literally load 20-30 seconds faster on the 6/6 Plus, you cant use alot of the powerful applications out nowadays like Garageband and etc, doing audio processing on the fly, not to mention the 5S/6 are going to last alot longer then the 5 did, apps are now starting to get updated to 64 bit in which will give the 6/6 plus a 30-40% performance improvement in applications that arent updated yet like (facebook, google services, instagram, etc , bunch of apps)

----------

Specs yes but real world performance? Not so much. For someone who can't see any lag whatsoever on the 6+, and fails to see any problems with tab reloading, I'm amazed that you can see massive differences in performance between the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 6.

Of course I can, espcially when loading big websites and big name titles (cant even play some big name titles on the 5 )

My 6 Plus doesnt lag ever, the only time I see UI lag is in some unoptimized apps from the App Store that are not optimized yet , optimized apps run smoothly on my 6 Plus , my phone runs really smooth

I never said i didnt notice the tab reloading, of course the phone has tab reloading. In my case i dont really experience it much as i dont have more then 2-3 tabs open the most anyway,

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
http://www.dxomark.com/Phones/Apple-iPhone-6-and-6-Plus-review-Bigger-and-better.-Apple-set-gold-standard-for-smartphone-image-quality

Sure the 6 and 6 Plus camera is not perfect in all aspects, but it sure it a whole lot better then the 5 in alot of instances and cases. The 6 and 6 Plus both score a whole 10 points more on DxoMark in which they test cameras with professionals with professional machinery in a laboratory setting

And wrong...i certainly notice quite a difference in performance the 6 And 6 Plus both feel noticeably more snappier in every operation, switching between apps, loading certain websites on the 6 compared to the 5 is gains of over 10 seconds and more when loading certain websites, not to mention the better LTE support with support for faster LTE. I notice a very percetiple difference in performance between using both. I noticed a very nice moticeable performance increase from going from the 5 to the 5S , with apps coming "alive" in the app switcher noticeably faster and is basically instantly responsive

Big title games literally load 20-30 seconds faster on the 6/6 Plus, you cant use alot of the powerful applications out nowadays like Garageband and etc, doing audio processing on the fly, not to mention the 5S/6 are going to last alot longer then the 5 did, apps are now starting to get updated to 64 bit in which will give the 6/6 plus a 30-40% performance improvement in applications that arent updated yet like (facebook, google services, instagram, etc , bunch of apps)

----------

Of course I can, espcially when loading big websites and big name titles (cant even play some big name titles on the 5 )

My 6 Plus doesnt lag ever, the only time I see UI lag is in some unoptimized apps from the App Store that are not optimized yet , optimized apps run smoothly on my 6 Plus , my phone runs really smooth

I never said i didnt notice the tab reloading, of course the phone has tab reloading. In my case i dont really experience it much as i dont have more then 2-3 tabs open the most anyway,

I don't play any games on my phone so don't see these differences, but I did say that games would show the gap in performance more than say web browsing. Sure the 6+ is slightly faster to load websites but the i5 doesn't feel an antiquated slouch in comparison. I wouldn't put improved speed into the list of things I'm happy with versus the iPhone 5. I'll enthuse over the battery life, improved cell reception and much better loudspeaker before I'll praise the minor web browsing speed improvement. The increased tab reloading is a negative though and certainly outweighs any speed gains for me. The 32bit i5 held apps and browser tabs in memory noticeably longer than the 6+ does.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I don't play any games on my phone so don't see these differences, but I did say that games would show the gap in performance more than say web browsing. Sure the 6+ is slightly faster to load websites but the i5 doesn't feel an antiquated slouch in comparison. I wouldn't put improved speed into the list of things I'm happy with versus the iPhone 5. I'll enthuse over the battery life, improved cell reception and much better loudspeaker before I'll praise the minor web browsing speed improvement. The increased tab reloading is a negative though and certainly outweighs any speed gains for me. The 32bit i5 held apps and browser tabs in memory noticeably longer than the 6+ does.

I notice a very big difference when going back and hitting the back arrow when loading previous pages, it is near instaneous on the A8, there is a huge difference here when browsing and going back to the previous page between the i5 and i6, the 5 has to reload it and takes a few seconds for the website/page to be responsive while its instaneous on the 6. The fact that you dont see that is beyond me. And the websites i use, i have noticed at least a 15 second performance difference when loading big websites, which is quite a difference actally . The performance and work flow speed is quite a bit faster on a 6 then a 5. Thats just how it is.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I notice a very big difference when going back and hitting the back arrow when loading previous pages, it is near instaneous on the A8, there is a huge difference here when browsing and going back to the previous page between the i5 and i6, the 5 has to reload it and takes a few seconds for the website/page to be responsive while its instaneous on the 6. The fact that you dont see that is beyond me. And the websites i use, i have noticed at least a 15 second performance difference when loading big websites, which is quite a difference actally . The performance and work flow speed is quite a bit faster on a 6 then a 5. Thats just how it is.

It's faster for sure, but not blindingly so (in my own experience anyway). Perhaps a faster broadband connection would show further gains. In no way am I suggesting that the i6 isn't faster in almost every respect, merely that often those differences aren't huge or necessarily worth the upgrade alone. The iPhone 5 is still a surprisingly capable phone, even next to the 6+. I was quite shocked to be honest, and more so that the i5 is better in some respects. I would have expected a two generations newer phone to whoop its ass quite comprehensively.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
It's faster for sure, but not blindingly so (in my own experience anyway). Perhaps a faster broadband connection would show further gains. In no way am I suggesting that the i6 isn't faster in almost every respect, merely that often those differences aren't huge or necessarily worth the upgrade alone. The iPhone 5 is still a surprisingly capable phone, even next to the 6+. I was quite shocked to be honest, and more so that the i5 is better in some respects. I would have expected a two generations newer phone to whoop its ass quite comprehensively.

The iPhone 6 is faster in every single sense and aspect then the 5, and the difference is noticeable to pretty much anyone who is even slightly technogically inclined. But yes defitnetly the i5 is still fluid and works well of course. iphones have always had smooth fluid performance, launching up simple apps and just doing basic things like opening Phone, etc isnt dramatically faster on the 6 then it is the 5. But anything even slightly computationally demanding, i have noticed BIG performanc diifference between the both. In my case loading most websites it is 15-20 seconds faster, Tons and tons of people on this forum have noted this aswell

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
No... that's not what i was asking.

The way I read some posts its that they reached a limit and could literally not load anything after the fact, even if they tried.

There is absolutely not enough ram. I have reached the limit many times (easily). What I have never seen happen is my phone lock up as a result.

I haven't had it lock up due to ram, but I have had some apps crash

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
I've noticed that with the safari tabs if I have more than 4 open they refresh if I go back to a previous tab. Gets annoying. Same thing if I have more than 4 apps running in the background.

2gb of ram is more than likely going to be in the next iphone release. I'd be disappointed if it's not.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
The iPhone 6 is faster in every single sense and aspect then the 5, and the difference is noticeable to pretty much anyone who is even slightly technogically inclined. But yes defitnetly the i5 is still fluid and works well of course. iphones have always had smooth fluid performance, launching up simple apps and just doing basic things like opening Phone, etc isnt dramatically faster on the 6 then it is the 5. But anything even slightly computationally demanding, i have noticed BIG performanc diifference between the both. In my case loading most websites it is 15-20 seconds faster, Tons and tons of people on this forum have noted this aswell

I agree my friend. Mostly. The 6 flies! In higher demanding situations the 6 blows away the 5 for sure yes it's a no brainier.

One interesting thing though is I feel like after I got my 6 my web browsing finally caught back up to iPhone 5 on 7.1.2 speed in safari! I spent two full years with that phone (so I have a great feel for it) and when I upgraded it to 8 the safari performance went down the drain. Not sure why. Anyways my iPad 4 which is on 7.1.2 actually loads up pages faster than my brand new 6. It's pretty close but usually content is displayed faster than the 6. iOS 8 on my iPad 4 was really slow in safari like my 5 so I immediately downgraded and I haven't touched it! I'd say that in my expirence the 6 is still overall faster but the i5 was no slouch in its iOS 6 and 7 days. Whatever Apple did to safari in 8 really took a toll on the 32 bit chips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.