Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackzig

macrumors member
I've been having this feeling for quite a while – Apple is repositioning itself. Target audience used to be lower-middle class and upwards, now it's going to be upper-middle class and upwards. No more iPhone 5C, instead there will be Burberry, Colette and Louis Vuitton phones and watches. Poor people *insert Ive chuckling* can buy an iPod shuffle or an iPad with 16 GB storage.

jackzig

macrumors member
Apple has always sold a premium priced product. What has made it successful is the products are actually premium products and Apple provides premium service. When you add it all up purchasing and using an Apple product is usually a great experience. However when a third party is offering to modify an Apple product is not a reflection on Apple.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Better days?? Did you ever own a mac LC II? Uh.

As nostalgic as I am toward Apple's origins, these days they are making their best products ever.

the multi-colored version of the Apple logo reminds me of better days as well.

Glassed Silver:mac

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
You can see a very subtle bulge in the back when you look at the side pictures. It's subtle, and harder to see on a near-black body, but you notice it when you know what to look for.

We're not talking about your pants when you saw it mate...

Reactions: MartiNZ

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Soooo, you basically just want a black phone. :D Much better than the made up color space gray. Only Apple can make up their own terminology and have it enter our lexicon. <-- That's hyperbole by the way. I know that all words are made up. Space gray just bugs the bejeebus out of me for some reason.

Look at the apple website again. They do have a space black :apple:Watch. The sport version has a "space grey" aluminum body, however the dark version of the :apple:Watch model is "space black", with the stainless steel band. It look so much nicer, imo.

Side note, I also envy the black iphone case in this article. I couldn't care less about the overall design aesthetic, wallpaper, or thousands of dollars for this case though :rolleyes:

anubis72

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
Soooo, you basically just want a black phone. :D Much better than the made up color space gray. Only Apple can make up their own terminology and have it enter our lexicon. <-- That's hyperbole by the way. I know that all words are made up. Space gray just bugs the bejeebus out of me for some reason.

I think it's all of the cheesy infomercial hyping things made out of space-age plastic? I agree anything named Space ________ is pretty goofy. (not to mention the continued use of the "i" naming convention on any products made beyond 2010...)

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
How would it be infringement? It's not like they're putting the logo on a Samsung or HTC phone. It's still an iPhone by Apple.
No it's not still an iPhone by Apple. The internal hardware and touchscreen may be part of an iPhone, but the case is an original creation by someone other than Apple, built to who knows what specs. If this company did it without Apple's permission they are selling a product with Apple's name on it suggesting that it is built to Apple's specifications and quality standards. Moreover, they are implying a partnership with Apple by co-branding the case. Apple is well within their legal rights to shut this project down if its unlicensed.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I really liked some of the wood backed iPhone 5 styles they did but the shape of the 6/6s just doesn't lend itself to it as well for me. I like the black though.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I would tend to agree. It's one thing to modify an existing Apple case. It's another to completely fabricate a new one, and include the Apple Trademark on it -- suggesting Apple endorsed the product. Technically, they can't put that logo on that case without Apple's permission, much less co-brand it. But perhaps Apple doesn't care -- the fact that Colette is involved and Apple has partnered so closely with them, since it's just advertising for them.

What makes you think Apple *didn't* give permission?

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I thought these were not real (saw them on another thread).

Hmm, I wonder if these get better reception than the all metal models.

Encasing anything that handles wireless transmissions in aluminum is just stupid, looks be damned.

My Wi-Fi-only iPad 2 gets poor reception because of this, as opposed to my older cell + WiFi iPad 1 (it has an antenna plastic strip at the top).

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
We're not talking about your pants when you saw it mate...
Alright, so apparently we've either devolved so hard we're resorting to dick jokes now, or you seem a little too interested in someone's genitals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.