Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
russed said:
why would it put them at a disadvantage?

With regards to Ferrari, according to Ross Brawn development of the F2004 ceased if memory serves around Hungary time last year, with any performances increases after that down to just the engine and the tyres, so that the team could begin work on the F2005, which again if memory serves a substantial amount of work on that car was scrapped because of the issues regarding changes to the rules for 2005 and the lateness in which they were clarified. It is thought that this affected Ferrari more, because they had already ceased developing that seasons car and had already pooled resources into this seasons car and thus where further down that path than any of the other teams so had more work to lose.

The specific disadvantage is that the car was not designed for the (significant) rule changes for 2005. Specifically the aero package hasn't been optimised for the 2005 rules, and also the car will not have been designed and optimised for long life tyres and the one engine for 2 races rule.

In recent memory we have only seen minor rule revisions, and as such a team choosing to use the previous seasons car for the first fly-away races wasn't considered to be at a massive disadvantage because the rules (that affected the cars) hadn't really changed, this year the rules have changed significantly and trying to make what is essentially almost a 2 year old design, designed to a certain set of rules competitive with brand new cars designed to completely revised rules very difficult.

That is a disadvantage.

As you say though Ferrari will have the reliabilty advantage, and I think that's what's going to keep them in touch (just) over the first 4 races, but on raw pace I don't thing they're going to be that competitive. Both the new McLaren and Renault are looking awesomely fast in testing, but also appear to be hugely reliable too.

I'm personally not expecting Ferrari to win any of the first 4 races through raw pace, if they do win any I'd guess it'll be more down to the other teams misfortunes.

russed said:
they can then get a few extra months of testing their new car and sorting out problems in testing, not during the races.

What you have to consider though is that the F2005 won't be run until after it's launch at the end of this month so they won't really gain any testing advantage over any other team because the other teams will be continuing development of their new cars in the same period, as well as racing them. This is the main catalyst for the '9 other teams' 30 day testing agreement because it'll instantly limit Ferrari's ability to develop the new car. Remember the 30 day testing limit does not come into force until the first race of the season.

Anyway you look at it... Ferrari are, in relation to some teams almost 2 months behind schedule in track developing their new car and a month behind teams like McLaren.

russed said:
ferarri have done this for the past few years and they have usually gone on to win the first few races of the season, so any correlation here?

That's because the rules had largely stayed the same so a team wasn't penalised for using the previous years car for the first few fly away races.

This year is different because of the rule changes.

With regards to not making significant changes to a car during a season, I can understand that line of thought, it'd certainly reduce costs, but as has been suggested above, if a team were to discover a significant problem (think MP4-19A that aero and minor tweaking couldn't fix) they'd be stuck with it for the rest of the season and thus making the grid even less competitive.

Also I can't help but think that such a rule would give an even greater advantage to Ferrari, especially considering McLarens MP4-17D/MP4-18/MP4-19A/MP4-19B programs within just 2 seasons and Williams ill faited issues at the start of both the 2003 and 2004 seasons when they encountered serious design flaws in their cars in both years.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Counterfit said:
You said what I said! :eek:

heheh, I actually started my reply before you posted... but then I went to watch the first 2 episodes of 'Joey' on Five so I didn't get to submit 'til an hour later! :p

Anyway... seems like I'm not the only one who thinks that Ferrari no longer have the advantage :(

well, I think Ferrari's delay can be for one of two reasons, possibly both. The first being that the new "auto" gearbox caught Ferrari with their pants down. I don't think they had anything like this in the works but they weren't worried about it until recently because a: they didn't think that the FIA would approve it and b: even if it wasn't approved, Honda's grenade engines would make the issue mute. But when both Williams and McLaren announced they had similar boxes in the works Ferrari was in a tough place because even though the Mercedes lumps are questionable when was the last time BMW had a serious mechanical issue. I think Ferrari need the delay so that they can have the right gearbox, which will delay the entire car because they could be planning to do what BAR have wanted to do and go with a carbon casing that is a single piece with the rear of the chassis. The second reason could be tied with the first in that they are working on a truly radical approach, perhaps even a twin keel. A better integrated gearbox could lighten and stiffen the chassis to help offset the bulk of twin hulls. Byrne did say that he didn't think they were applicable yet, but that was the first part of last season and the later performances from Macca and FW were pretty impressive - rigidity is really the only issue. If not twin keel, the sidepod chimney's effect on aero was documented last year and this year McLaren's horns and Jordans intake wings hint at some advantages in mid-car wing development as that is an open "design box". The forward wings on the Jordan would seem to put a decent amount of downforce on the middle of the car and under speed could move the center of gravity forward slightly and give better front end grip. The only problem I see with the Jordan design is cooling because to keep the same amount of airflow as before would create lift and obviously lift would negate their goal so they have to hope the Toyota engine can keep cool. This could work well on a Ferrari because the F2004's intakes were really quite small anyway so the engine seems to run cool and this could also explain why McLaren are using horns mounted high on the airbox because they probably still need all the cooling they can get. I figure that those horns have to be for downforce because they seem too large for just airflow conditioning. Of course all of this is conjecture based on the assumption that Jordan have a good idea, which coming from a team that doesn't have a wind tunnel is suspect. So either Ferrari have a car with an integrated "auto-shift" carbon fiber gearbox, a twin keel chassis complete with advanced mid-wings, and a powerful nearly air-cooled engine(in short, the second coming) under a tarp in Maranello or they were caught asleep at the wheel and will be a mid pack team with a high payroll. I seriously doubt they could do any worse than McLaren '04.
I need some coffee.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I'll believe that Ferrari is at a disadvantage when I see them not winning races.

Ferrari still has reliability and driving talent, and it's hard to imagine such a precipitous drop in Ferrari's fortunes after last season's domination. Still, looking at the new cars and driver combos, there's never been a greater chance for a true challenge to Ferrari. And then again when Ferrari brings their new car it may be domination all over again. Mclaren or BAR or somebody needs to strike early.

I wouldn't worry about your dream too much, iGAV. The only way Montoya will win is if both Schuey AND Kimi crash out - though I'm rooting for him. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.