Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SG83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
hi!

I'm considering moving to the iPhone, as my current phone (s20 fe 5g) starts failing and i'm not really happy with it anymore.

I did have, briefly, an iphone 13 pro after it was released but I did get used to android a bit, perhaps, too much and there were few things that irritated me in iphone, so i've sold it. Many of those things (but not all) has been, apparently, resolved- that's why i'm considering moving to it. Here are my questions thou:

1. what's the easiest way to turn a music file (mp3 to be precise) into the ringtone (prefferably for free or for a small fee)?

2. can iMusic app play local (i.e. not streamed) music files (mp3/aac) and still offer lyrics and ability to 'remove' vocals (apple music sing, introduced in ios16.2 afaik)? does it work fine with non-English songs as well? can iMusic play songs that were copied using the airdrop between two iphones (of different users)?

3. i've heard that the new ios offers some sort of caller id (i.e. person's picture is shown when they call, even if they arent in the phone book)- is it possible to turn it off, at least for the situation when i call people?

4. is the difference between 5g modem of i14pro and i13pro noticeable in the UK/EU? I know it's way faster in the USA (on the newer phone)

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
hi!

I'm considering moving to the iPhone, as my current phone (s20 fe 5g) starts failing and i'm not really happy with it anymore.

I did have, briefly, an iphone 13 pro after it was released but I did get used to android a bit, perhaps, too much and there were few things that irritated me in iphone, so i've sold it. Many of those things (but not all) has been, apparently, resolved- that's why i'm considering moving to it. Here are my questions thou:

1. what's the easiest way to turn a music file (mp3 to be precise) into the ringtone (prefferably for free or for a small fee)?

2. can iMusic app play local (i.e. not streamed) music files (mp3/aac) and still offer lyrics and ability to 'remove' vocals (apple music sing, introduced in ios16.2 afaik)? does it work fine with non-English songs as well? can iMusic play songs that were copied using the airdrop between two iphones (of different users)?

3. i've heard that the new ios offers some sort of caller id (i.e. person's picture is shown when they call, even if they arent in the phone book)- is it possible to turn it off, at least for the situation when i call people?

4. is the difference between 5g modem of i14pro and i13pro noticeable in the UK/EU? I know it's way faster in the USA (on the newer phone)
Easy and free with Mac using Garage Band.

Reactions: SG83

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014

There are various ways of doing this, depending on exactly what you're trying to do - here are a few options.
2. can iMusic app play local (i.e. not streamed) music files (mp3/aac) and still offer lyrics and ability to 'remove' vocals (apple music sing, introduced in ios16.2 afaik)? does it work fine with non-English songs as well?
Apple Music Sing works with lots of tracks, including lots of non-English ones, but only with tracks streamed through Apple Music, not an iTunes Match library.

By the way, to be pedantic, it's just called Music, not iMusic.
can iMusic play songs that were copied using the airdrop between two iphones (of different users)?
No. If you want to add your own music to a Music library, you need to do it via a computer.
I expect there would almost certainly be a way to turn this feature off. However, it's just been announced and is in beta. There's a lot we don't know, and a lot could change between now and the release of iOS 17 later this year. I wouldn't let an unreleased feature that's still being tested affect a purchasing decision now.
I am UK based. I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in the modem performance over the last few generations. Mobile data has basically been fine for me for years. Perhaps there is a difference - I don't go around running controlled experiments with different phones. Without that kind of testing, there are so many other factors (did the phone change, or was it the network infrastructure around me?) it's impossible to know.

But you asked if it was noticeable - so no, I haven't noticed any changes.

Reactions: SG83
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.