Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alvareo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2016
So I recently had to format this handed-down 13" late 2011 MacBook Pro due to some system instability I had due to too many RAM changes, and when I was setting up the OS I, again, turned on FileVault. I used my computer as normal, probably too much as normal, installing a bunch of things, moving files, rebooting, force shutting down when the computer froze for too long, and after a while I realised the computer was getting really laggy and encryption wasn't advancing at all, with FileVault saying "Estimating time remaining" and, at times, "More than one day remaining", which quickly changed back to "estimating" again. For several hours it was stuck at what I learned with diskutil was 57%. I looked around for solutions, and even though people's problems were that encryption was at "Connect power adapter to resume encryption" even though they did have it connected, I tried out every solution I could find (First Aid, SMC, NVRAM, a few commands, etc.). In the end, I found a command to revert encryption, I tried it in the recovery disk, rebooted, and was glad to find it says "decrypting" along with a real time estimate and the progress bar was now at 42%. Thing is, it never moved from 42%. I formatted, reinstalled, didn't set up FileVault until I could leave the computer by itself as to avoid the same problem again. I set it up and went to sleep. A few hours ago I woke up and guess what: 57% again. Is there any solution or do I have to format for a third time and just don't ever use FileVault?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If the hard drive in your Mac is the original 5400 RPM, and a lot of the hard drive is full, it can take a long time (many hours) for File Vault to finish. If this is the case, I suggest you limit what you do on the computer until File Vault is finished. Otherwise, your computer might get overloaded and either lock up or suddenly reboot.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
During a clean install it took hours for mine to complete. When I turned it on after the OS was installed, took minutes. I don't think installing more programs and forcing a shut down were good idea. I am surprised it came back up at all.

alvareo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2016
well, there we go, it finally advanced. I wouldn't have panicked if it hadn't stopped at the exact point the other was stuck in days for. Encryption is finished now, thanks guys!

Reactions: Goatllama
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.