Final Cut Pro help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Amy2005, Mar 15, 2007.

  1. Amy2005 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2005
    Location:
    North Yorkshire, England
    #1
    Hi
    I have just got Final Cut Studio and am getting a new mac tomorrow. At the moment i have an iMac G5 with FCP 4 on with a project currently in progress (stored on an external HD). Could I continue the project on FCP 5 on the new mac or will there be issues with compatibility?
    Thanks
    Amy :)
     
  2. Multimedia macrumors 603

    Multimedia

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2001
    Location:
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    #2
    You Did The $199 Upgrade To 5.1UB From FCP 4 Right?

    I sure hope you got the FCS 5.1UB for $199 Upgrade from your FCP 4. Please tell us you only paid $199 for your copy of Studio.

    I see now I did tell you and you thanked me just 4 days ago. Wow that was fast. You got it back already?

    You are better off finishing your project in 4. You can go up to 5.1.4 but not back. And some incompatabilities could possably arise.

    Amy have you got some real deadline forcing you to buy a new Mac tomorrow? With Leopard and Santa Rosa and we don't know what Mac Pro improvements right around the corner are you sure you can't wait a few more weeks? If there's any way you can hold off until the April 15 NAB Event, it would really be a good idea.

    It's almost 4AM in California. I've waited as long as I can Amy. Gotta crash now. Catch you on the other side of my siesta dear. Try not to impulsively buy a new Mac tomorrow Amy if you can wait and see what the next offerings are. They will all include Leopard and iLife '07 too.
     
  3. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

    Rod Rod

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2003
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #3
    You could continue the project on FCP 5, but there may be issues involved.

    It's best to finish what you're doing in FCP 4 and then upgrade to FCP 5.
    This is a known unknown. QuickTime and FCP updates can do weird things to projects in progress.

    MM's advice is sound also... go for 5.1 if that's not what you already have. The clock is ticking.
     
  4. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2005
    Location:
    North Yorkshire, England
    #4
    Lol i was going too but then i realised that i had a 'not for resale' version of FCP 4, so I couldn't upgrade using crosssgrade. But now i have a retail version of FCP so i can use future crossgrades of FCP :) I think i might wait for leopard to come out to get a new mac, i didn't really think about that :)

    Thank you
    Amy :)
     
  5. Multimedia macrumors 603

    Multimedia

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2001
    Location:
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    #5
    There Were Other Ways To Get FCS 5.1UB For $199 or $299

    You could have done the work around by finding a PPC Upgrade pak of Motion 2 or DVDSP4 part of FCS in a dimly lit corner of a mom and pop or Academic Apple Store for $85 and gone to FCS 5.1UB for $199 that way.
     
  6. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2005
    Location:
    North Yorkshire, England
    #6
    I don't really understand different ways of getting FCP for cheaper, I'm not very good with finding things like that on the internet lol. It didn't come to me till after I had bought FCP 5 to post on here which is a bit of a pain. I just asked my BTEC Media tutor for advice for what software I should get for Uni.
    Thank you for everyone's help and advice tho I really appriciate it :)
    Thanks again, Amy :)
     

Share This Page