Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Hi
I have just got Final Cut Studio and am getting a new mac tomorrow. At the moment i have an iMac G5 with FCP 4 on with a project currently in progress (stored on an external HD). Could I continue the project on FCP 5 on the new mac or will there be issues with compatibility?
Thanks
Amy :)

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
You Did The $199 Upgrade To 5.1UB From FCP 4 Right?

Hi
I have just got Final Cut Studio and am getting a new mac tomorrow. At the moment i have an iMac G5 with FCP 4 on with a project currently in progress (stored on an external HD). Could I continue the project on FCP 5 on the new mac or will there be issues with compatibility?
Thanks
I sure hope you got the FCS 5.1UB for $199 Upgrade from your FCP 4. Please tell us you only paid $199 for your copy of Studio.

I see now I did tell you and you thanked me just 4 days ago. Wow that was fast. You got it back already?

You are better off finishing your project in 4. You can go up to 5.1.4 but not back. And some incompatabilities could possably arise.

Amy have you got some real deadline forcing you to buy a new Mac tomorrow? With Leopard and Santa Rosa and we don't know what Mac Pro improvements right around the corner are you sure you can't wait a few more weeks? If there's any way you can hold off until the April 15 NAB Event, it would really be a good idea.

It's almost 4AM in California. I've waited as long as I can Amy. Gotta crash now. Catch you on the other side of my siesta dear. Try not to impulsively buy a new Mac tomorrow Amy if you can wait and see what the next offerings are. They will all include Leopard and iLife '07 too.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Hi
Thanks

You could continue the project on FCP 5, but there may be issues involved.

It's best to finish what you're doing in FCP 4 and then upgrade to FCP 5.
Donald Rumsfeld said:
As we know,
There are known knowns.
There are things we know we know.
We also know
There are known unknowns.
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns,
The ones we don't know
We don't know.

the poetry of D.H. Rumsfeld

This is a known unknown. QuickTime and FCP updates can do weird things to projects in progress.

MM's advice is sound also... go for 5.1 if that's not what you already have. The clock is ticking.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Lol i was going too but then i realised that i had a 'not for resale' version of FCP 4, so I couldn't upgrade using crosssgrade. But now i have a retail version of FCP so i can use future crossgrades of FCP :) I think i might wait for leopard to come out to get a new mac, i didn't really think about that :)

Thank you

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
There Were Other Ways To Get FCS 5.1UB For $199 or $299

Lol i was going too but then i realised that i had a 'not for resale' version of FCP 4, so I couldn't upgrade using crosssgrade. But now i have a retail version of FCP so i can use future crossgrades of FCP :) I think i might wait for leopard to come out to get a new mac, i didn't really think about that :)

Thank you
You could have done the work around by finding a PPC Upgrade pak of Motion 2 or DVDSP4 part of FCS in a dimly lit corner of a mom and pop or Academic Apple Store for $85 and gone to FCS 5.1UB for $199 that way.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
I don't really understand different ways of getting FCP for cheaper, I'm not very good with finding things like that on the internet lol. It didn't come to me till after I had bought FCP 5 to post on here which is a bit of a pain. I just asked my BTEC Media tutor for advice for what software I should get for Uni.
Thank you for everyone's help and advice tho I really appriciate it :)
Thanks again, Amy :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.