Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
is there any diff b/t final cut studio w/ edu discount adn the regular retail version?

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Btw, I know this is kind of off-topic, but there's a 99% chance Final Cut Studio will be updated in April. If you can wait, I would encourage you to do so.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
RBMaraman said:
The only difference is the license. You can't use the educational version for profit.
Actually, with the academic version, you cannot upgrade it. You have to buy the full new versions when they are released.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
pdpfilms said:
Actually, with the academic version, you cannot upgrade it. You have to buy the full new versions when they are released.

Ah, yes. I completely forgot about that.

hyperpasta is right. NAB takes place in April, and It's pretty concrete that Final Cut Studio will be updated. Now, when they'll actually ship is up in the air.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
RBMaraman said:
The only difference is the license. You can't use the educational version for profit.

Can you cite the part of the license agreement that states that? I've never been able to find it in Apple's license agreement for EDU discounts. Other companies, definitely, but not Apple...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
mduser63 said:
Can you cite the part of the license agreement that states that? I've never been able to find it in Apple's license agreement for EDU discounts. Other companies, definitely, but not Apple...
I haven't read the US terms (as they don't apply to me), but in the Norwegian terms for the EDU store there's a clause that all items ordered must only be used for school/research or for privat purposes or Apple may cancel the order.

The terms also refers to special software licenses, and my EDU Tiger family pack came with an extra sheet with additions to the regular software licence specifying that I could use this software on 5 machines (family pack) but not for commercial purposes (student version).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.