Final Cut

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cool11, Jan 24, 2007.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I am a newcomer to digital video world of mac. In the past I used premiere as an amateur video producer in windows os.
    I want to make a good start with final cut but I do not know where to start.
    Read the manual? Start using it? See some tutorials? I hope I will learn to use it efficiently in a short period of time.

I also need other companion elements like libraries with videos, collections with samples, video textures, useful plugins etc.
    Can you name a few of these ones?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

I'm a beginning user too. Here is what I think

1) Do read the manual. It is 1,100 pages but it is well done and easy to read. It goes faster than an 1100 page novel. If you actually "RTFM" you will be miles ahead of most of the people who post questions here.

2) Next make up a short project. Do something like shoot some footage of some one washing their car, close up's long shots. b-roll stuff like a rag being dipped in the bucket and so on. Get about 30 minutes of footage then try to edit is down to a 3 minute show. You need a low risk, low pressure, no deadline project that is still not technically trivial. "Mary washes her car" is a good simple project but "John strips and cleans a Glock" is just as good.

Having a project like above will force you to use FCx and using it will force you to solve problems. I think it's the problem solving that is where the learning takes place.

I'm at the point right now where I've found I need a new monitor. I have a large CRT but it is not sharp and the controls are hard to read. I figured I'd use this CRT for a while until i learned what i realy need. My opinion now is at least a 23" LCD

3. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

Go to your local bookseller and pick up this. This book makes a wonderful reference. The only downside is that it does not come with any tutorial footage to work with, but it's also much cheaper than most and incredibly well written.

4. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Very useful comments.

What about video collections, libraries with useful stuff etc?

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

That is some really great advice. In my foray with FCP, I was so confused/scared in the beginning, I couldn't really get a grasp on the interface and innumerable features, and I always reverted back to iMovie.
    It wasn't until I actually had a project that really was only possible with FCP that I really started learning. It became more of a process of "This is what I want to do, so now how do I go about doing it?" rather than a simple tutorial of the program.
    By creating apt content to work with, it helps give an understanding of the features and how to adapt them for future use. I did this, and I learnt much more much quicker than I would have if I simply went through a book.

irmongoose

6. -DH macrumors 65816

By "video libraries" do you mean stock footage or do you mean motion backgrounds? There are many of both available.

FCP comes with a lot of filters and transitions, but if you need more, this site has a very comprehensive list of third party plugin vendors: http://proapptips.com/tips/links.php?category=Plugins

I don't know what you mean by "collections with samples" ... are you referring to samples of existing works?

-DH

7. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Yes, I mean stock footage, motion backgrounds, sample of existing works and all these things.

I 'll look the link you gave.

8. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

Check out the Prelinger Archives.

9. Policar macrumors 6502a

If this is similar to the 4.5 book I used, yes. Get this and be done with it; you've already spent the $1300 so this is pocket change. (Or you've pirated the software, so you can afford it....but either way it's worth it.)

The provided manual is fine but it takes forever to get started. These "how to" books focus on key features, so you can learn how to use the program and expand beyond the basics to suit your needs instead of getting bogged down on technical stuff. (I'm not saying "your needs" are limited, but the manual covers tons of features for such variegated purposes that I doubt very many people will use them all, and reading up on all of them is confusing.)

10. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I read the apple web pages about motion and final cut itself.
    Motion belongs to final cut pro suite.

I cannot understand where is the difference between the motion and final cut.
    Can you explain me?

11. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Motion and Final Cut are two different programs that work together in a suite. Just like Excel and Word serve two different functions as programs, but can be integrated together (placing a worksheet in a word document for instance), Motion and FCP are the same.

P-Worm

12. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Can you please tell me the main difference between them?
    Final cut is mainly for video editing and motion is about animation, titling effects etc?

13. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Marh 19 Deadline for $199 Upgrade to FCS 5.1UB From FCP 4/4.5 or PPC Parts

As this is the final week, I am making sure anyone with FCP 4/4.5 or any part of the PPC FCS 5 knows the upgarde to FCS 5.1UB is only $199 (this is a link to the offer page).

Postmark Deadline is March 19. Please don't miss it.

14. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

This is very important. Thanks MM for the great post.

I also urge users of FCP 4/ 4.5 to upgrade for only $199 even if you don't have an intel mac yet.
    You get a complete 5.1 suite even if you only have the upgrade discs for 4/ 4.5!!!!!
    Then, future upgrades+the $199 are cheaper than buying the new full suite. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Don't forget to upgrade!

15. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I am asking because I have to do some task and I do not know in which application to make it.
    I am fed up with cheap flash effects and I want to make high quality animation with video,titles and all these stuff, in order to convert it or export it to flash format for use in web page.

Which program is suitable?

How can I export my work to flash swf?

16. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

you need flash to export to flash, sort of.

it seems you want to make a nice vector animation, like those found at www.newgrounds.com....

if so, FCP is not the way to do it.

be a little more specific about your goals, maybe cite some examples.

im thinking Motion is a good place to start, but LiveType if its mostly text driven, though if its going to be flash, you need to use Flash to create it.