Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
Okay guys first of all I take no credit for this, this downgrade tool was developed by dayt0n (@daytonhasty) and xerub (@xerub) etc.

Their downgrade tool is called Odysseus, and it will let an iPhone 4S for example be downgraded to iOS 6.1.3 IF you have successfully saved your SHSH blobs before.
Now this tool is still entirely based on raw terminal code, but I heard an UI version will be coming soon for those of you who can't pull it off, but if you know the basics about coding, then you'll be able to do this, even I could.
I successfully downgraded my 4S from 8.1.2 to 6.1.3, hacktivated with p0sixpwn, everything works now but I don't have cell phone signal atm, probably because of a conflicting baseband issue which I hope I will get fixed soon.
But anyway this is awesome news right! Be gone with iOS 7-8 on our old devices! ;)

Source and download link : http://dayt0n.github.io/articles/Odysseus/

Again, better wait for the UI version if you don't wanna mess up and lose your jailbreak, unless you understand some basic coding. (And yes of course you need to be jailbroken at the moment to even try this)

Credits to:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: The OdysseusOTA downgrade tool was recently updated and now all baseband issues are solved, just follow this easy video tutorial to downgrade your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 to iOS 6.1.3!
Links to the files can also be found in the video description.
Credits to tihmstar for this simple tutorial!

Last edited:

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
Well this one works for the 32bit iDevices only, which means that iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 can be downgraded with Odysseus, but 5S and up well it won't work atm.
To answer your question: yes something seems to be in the works, probably something between TU creator Notcom and iH8sn0w (iFaith 2.0 maybe?). But afaik, that tool is a completely different project than this one, which was made by xerub. I think you'll have to wait.
All I know is that this one will actually soon get an UI update by Karen (angelxwind) for the people who don't understand how to get it done.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Well this one works for the 32bit iDevices only, which means that iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 can be downgraded with Odysseus, but 5S and up well it won't work atm.
To answer your question: yes something seems to be in the works, probably something between TU creator Notcom and iH8sn0w (iFaith 2.0 maybe?). But afaik, that tool is a completely different project than this one, which was made by xerub. I think you'll have to wait.
All I know is that this one will actually soon get an UI update by Karen (angelxwind) for the people who don't understand how to get it done.

Great, thanks for the info.
So this is for the 4S and iphone 5.
Looking forward to further exploitation of shsh blobs.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
people still have the 4S?
Well I do, and a lot of my friends too. But this tool is for downgrading any 32bit, so also the iPad 2 for example. I find it extremely useful, especially if you keep your 'old' Apple products. Until now, only the iPhone 4 could be downgraded, so I think this is great news, especially with TU upgrades around the corner.

Reactions: AleXXXa

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I noticed they have a few warnings.
Did you have any issues with the baseband being a higher version than the one that the downgraded iOS baseband version came with?

"There may also be problems with the baseband if you attempt to downgrade to a firmware with a different baseband than you are currently on. Make sure you check the baseband."

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
I noticed they have a few warnings.
Did you have any issues with the baseband being a higher version than the one that the downgraded iOS baseband version came with?

"There may also be problems with the baseband if you attempt to downgrade to a firmware with a different baseband than you are currently on. Make sure you check the baseband."
Yup sadly, like I said my phone still doesn't have cell phone signal, probably because of a baseband issue.. But I'm trying to fix it :D But it's probably just me, seems like I have to sign the 6.1.3 baseband that came with the OTA blob, but I'm still sorting it out atm.. Anyway, xerub is aware of the BB issue and is going to update the tool asap, when he found a solution. This only happens for real 'huge' downgrades btw (like iOS 8 straight to iOS 6), but maybe this can be solved by downgrading step-by-step, idk yet..
As soon as I have new info about BB issues or was able to fix mine, I'll tell you guys. Until then wait for the next update by xerub (0.5). Also, this BB thing is the only issue, everything else is perfectly functional :) So if you want to downgrade an iPad or iPod Touch for example, which don't need cell phone signal, go ahead!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks for the update bud.
They should make a huge note/disclaimer though cause this issue is a big issue.
What's the point of downgrading your iphone if you cannot use it as a phone with no cell phone signal?
Glad they're making progress though.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
Stupid questions, (yes, I know but there's no law legislating it yet) but how do I know if my SHSH blobs were saved and where could I find them? I think I saved them when I was on 6.x.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found out how here:
http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/122887/how-to-find-out-what-shsh-blobs-i-have-saved

EDIT2: When you find out which blobs have been saved on Cydia's servers, but you don't have them stored locally on your PC, do the following (discovered after MUCH googling):

Save shsh blobs to your device

1. Search Cydia for "iSHSHit" - download and install (I know it says for OS3-6.1.2 but it worked for me on 8.1)

2. Open the application through icon on your home screen

3. Select what device you have under "Model" (may be automatically set)

4. Select "Via Cydia"

5. Select "Firmware" to choose what blobs to save, I advise you save them one by one (There is sometimes an error with when selecting "All Versions")

Export shsh blobs from device to computer

(I advise you to create a folder on your desktop dedicated to your shsh blobs)

1. In iSHSHit press "Manage SHSH"

2. You will see the list of shsh blobs that are saved

3. When you select one, you'll be brought to the Email application

All you need to do now is Email them to yourself and put them in your shsh blobs folder for safe keeping!

Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I successfully this did - incredible how functional and fast the 4s is on iOS 6 !

iOS 6 is also extremely stable.

I may revert back to public beta iOS 9 just to help support apple with bugs and those who love their 4s's that want iOS 9 to be as performance ready as possible

but iOS 6 is incredible. Very happy this exists. Now that I have been able to successfully do it, I may try again in the near future.

Thank you, OP. Is this restricted only to iOS 6.1.3? Any chance we can do up iOS 5.1.1?

Cheers

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
iPhone4S's with iOS6 sell for a decent percentage higher than other firmwares on eBay. There might be a little cottage industry whereas a go-getter snaps up current firmware iP4S's and performs this hack and then resells them.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Well downgrading to iOS 6 with this tool for everyday use is useless. Not only because the tool didnt downgrade the baseband but also 90% of the recently updated apps will be incompatible with iOS 6.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
but also 90% of the recently updated apps will be incompatible with iOS 6.
But don't forget, AppStore allows download of older, most current compatible version apps for older iOS. Yes you won't get the latest features, but compatible app still there.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Well downgrading to iOS 6 with this tool for everyday use is useless. Not only because the tool didnt downgrade the baseband but also 90% of the recently updated apps will be incompatible with iOS 6.
I had no issues. Everything was working fine

And the only apps I wasn't able to use, that I use on a daily basis, were Google Agenda and Google Photos.

Everything else had older versions (that were better in some cases, like the kijiji app....so much better on iOS 6)

Don't forget iOS 6 was the main iOS until September 2013 so it still received good support from major apps, and major apps still have older versions or they still support iOS 6.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
I had no issues. Everything was working fine

And the only apps I wasn't able to use, that I use on a daily basis, were Google Agenda and Google Photos.

Everything else had older versions (that were better in some cases, like the kijiji app....so much better on iOS 6)

Don't forget iOS 6 was the main iOS until September 2013 so it still received good support from major apps, and major apps still have older versions or they still support iOS 6.

Having older versions of the app means you'll miss out on new features and support. No Apple Watch support as well. Broken FaceTime.

I also forgot to mention there are new apps/games only supporting iOS 7 and up.

This downgrade tool is great, if you're using an iPod Touch 5 and have no intentions of using FaceTime on it ever. That's it really.

Last edited:

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Having older versions of the app means you'll miss out on new features and support. No Apple Watch support as well. Broken FaceTime.

I also forgot to mention there are new apps/games only supporting iOS 7 and up.

This downgrade tool is great, if you're using an iPod Touch 5 and have no intentions of using FaceTime on it ever. That's it really.

4s doesn't even support the apple watch. I think you're missing the point of this thread and the purpose of why some people with 4s's would consider downgrading entirely. Not everyone has run into baseband issues; for myself and for another friend who walked me through the process it worked just fine.

Last edited:

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
4s doesn't even support the apple watch. I think you're missing the point of this thread and the purpose of why some people with 4s's would consider downgrading entirely. Not everyone has run into baseband issues; for myself and for another friend who walked me through the process it worked just fine.
Dude, 4s, 5 and iPod Touch 5 users can use this tool. iPhone 5 supports Apple Watch.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Dude, 4s, 5 and iPod Touch 5 users can use this tool. iPhone 5 supports Apple Watch.

You're still missing the point; someone interested in downgrading to iOS 6 probably knows about existence of the Apple Watch, and probably isn't interested in using an Apple Watch.

The key part is "someone interested in downgrading to iOS 6"

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
So those of you who downgraded can you use the phone to make calls or just as ipod touch?

For me and another friend who also downgraded, its working perfectly fine (calls, sms texts, etc.)

- FaceTime doesn't work on iOS 6.1.3 though as anything running iOS 6.1.3 and below cannot use FaceTime anymore due to the "expired ticket" incident from last year (If we were able to run 6.1.6 on the 4S, it would likely work but 6.1.6 was never released for the 4S, only 3GS and iPod touch 4th gen, iirc)

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
Mine is my daily driver. Calls, texts (both MMS and SMS), Facetime (on wifi), all of my email accounts, Siri, web - everything I use is fast and fluid. No burps, no farts, no lags. It works the way it did when I bought it four years ago. Soooo happy. I'd post a video, but you'd get jealous. See my sig.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.