Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
had the same issue on 10.10.3 public beta. Deleted my plist and rebooted and it was back to normal again.

BenjaR

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
Deleting plist files didn't work first time for me, but after trying again it finally did. Keep deleting them as they appear and empty the trash. Delete the plist.lockfile as well. When they stop appearing and the trash is empty, restart immediately. Don't close the finder window before restarting, I think this triggers another plist being made.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Deleting plist files didn't work first time for me, but after trying again it finally did. Keep deleting them as they appear and empty the trash. Delete the plist.lockfile as well. When they stop appearing and the trash is empty, restart immediately. Don't close the finder window before restarting, I think this triggers another plist being made.

delete once, reboot. after rebooting, you can empty the trash. just simpler...

randomhero73

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
Having the same issue.. however, I've checked and dont even have the finder.plist files?? any suggestions?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Having the same issue.. however, I've checked and dont even have the finder.plist files?? any suggestions?

you went to your HOME folder's library? in the finder, hold the Option key, click on the "go" menu, choose library. look in the Preferences folder for "com.apple.finder.plist". move to desktop (or trash), reboot (then you can trash it).

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
you went to your HOME folder's library? in the finder, hold the Option key, click on the "go" menu, choose library. look in the Preferences folder for "com.apple.finder.plist". move to desktop (or trash), reboot (then you can trash it).

nope nothing found. what can be done? i tried ~/Library/Preferences found the plist there and deleted it. still have the same problem.

Update: fixed the problem by force deleting the finder plist via terminal and its working fine now.

Last edited:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
My finder opens find, but sometimes in this latest beta, when I click the back arrow in a finder toolbar, it doesn't always go back to where I started. either not back at all or only back one level or two but not top where I started anymore. Never had this before last weeks release. Seems to happen when starting from Finder Shortcuts via the dock.... You can test by right clicking Applications on the dock and selecting "open applications? Then choose any sub folder and open it in the same window. Now you should be able to click the "back" arrow button, but here it is greyed out. Choosing other folders from there you will be able to go back but not all the way to the Applications folder you originally started from the dock. This action was working as expected through the last 10.10.3 beta before last week.

The same thing happens if you start any finder window from any drive or folder or finder shortcut on your desktop. Once you are in Finder, after the first folder change, all new navigation is fine with the Back Arrow button function, for all but the first finder opening location which the back button doesn't ever return to.

Has anyone else seen this odd behavior?

Last edited:

codysanborn

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
Wish I seen this earlier! I had to reboot from 179 days ago.. re loaded 1600 pictures. and setting this thing back up...

Now says only 80gb left most is used by other??? no clue what is eating up so much space

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
how can I do that ??????

Here's a guide:

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/finder.html

----------

This was the single most annoying bug I have encountered in my whole OS X career ;)

I'm not sure at which point it started working, because just a moment ago for a few reboots I didn't even have the com.apple.Finder.plist in the Library. Only after a couple Terminal rm commands and reboots it finally showed up and clicking Finder invoked a new window.

Geesh. :rolleyes:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Be careful with deleting some of this finder plist stuff. I bricked my imac and had to restore from a hard clone. Even a TM restore wouldn't fix the Finder bricking. My above issue remains and removeing the plist did not help that in any case.

Last edited:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I'll try the new 4th beta later and see if it corrects this Finder issue...

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
Just a heads-up - it's at it again. Out of the blue.
Just downloaded a DMG and after ejecting it Finder stopped opening upon clicking...
Hope the next beta fixes this, but the download speed is tortoislike.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
They say that Finder seems fixed over on the main thread... hope so.

jozi

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
Please will someone give clear detailed instructions on how and where to find these .plist folders everyone is talking about.
Where and how does one search for user library etc etc when one is confronted with only the desktop and the finder button is not working???????

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Is this issue sorted yet. I'm having it now, and I don't seem to have a "com.apple.finder.plist file in Preferences to delete!
The Preferences folder you need is in the hidden (invisible) Library folder. The entire path is Users/username/Library/Preferences (username will be your current log in account).

1. Get to the Finder menu bar. Click anywhere on the Desktop and you will see the Go menu in the menu bar (Finder will also be displayed next to the Apple :apple:).

2. Option(alt)-click the Go menu. You will see the Library appear in the middle of the Go menu listing. Select Library. Now your hidden Library folder will open.

3. Scroll down and open the Preferences folder. Find the com.apple.finder.plist and drag it to the trash. Reboot and then you can delete the com.apple.finder.plist file in the trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.