Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Is it possible to make the finder look similar to the image below? Was this an early preview and later discarded? Looks freakin sweet to me. :D

finder-on-mac-os-x-lion-x2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

TheAppleSource

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
United Kingdom
Unfortunately I don't think it's possible in lion. You used to be able to do it very easily in Snow Leopard (or at least in Leopard) but now it seems like you can't. There might be some sort of theming app out there that you can do it with, but I don't know of one myself.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Thx for the reply. Do you mean the background? Cause I really want the minimal titlebar. Can this be done in Leopard?

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
I know you can move/remove/add stuff on the bottom bar. But can I get the traffic lights, folder name, and buttons, on one bar as in the pic? Instead of the default: lights/title on top; everything else underneath. An example is how chrome has the traffic lights on the tab bar, when safari uses traffic lights and title on a separate top bar over the tab bar.

I'm on SL now, so can't test in Lion atm. Thx!

finder lion.png

Last edited:

Spikestrip

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
California
I know you can move/remove/add stuff on the bottom bar. But can I get the traffic lights, folder name, and buttons, on one bar as in the pic? Instead of the default: lights/title on top; everything else underneath. An example is how chrome has the traffic lights on the tab bar, when safari uses traffic lights and title on a separate top bar over the tab bar.

I'm on SL now, so can't test in Lion atm. Thx!

View attachment 332543

Besides the Customize Toolbar option mentioned above, you have the little pill shaped icon all the way to the top right of any Finder window, and this creates a simpler view.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Besides the Customize Toolbar option mentioned above, you have the little pill shaped icon all the way to the top right of any Finder window, and this creates a simpler view.
Except that hides the toolbar completely. The OP wanted to customize it, not hide it.

Spikestrip

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
California
I found this.

http://macthemes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=850967

This is not the same as what you want, but it seems to indicate that it's possible, or at least that modification to the toolbar beyond the options Finder allows is possible. I know nothing about editing this file, but some Google searching could help.

Except that hides the toolbar completely. The OP wanted to customize it, not hide it.

And it also hides the sidebar. =\ But I've met people who prefer this view, so I thought I'd offer it up.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Thx Spike. I've seen that and it only mods the actual icons. The closest I've seen is the app Total Finder that uses tabs on the same line as the traffic lights. Does look better than default.

Just don't understand why Apple would skip this totally awesome option of customization, especially since this pic was supposedly from a early version of Lion. Just like they don't give you a black menubar option. Totally wack. :mad: Such a simple request, people have modded it for years.

Spikestrip

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
California
Thx Spike. I've seen that and it only mods the actual icons. The closest I've seen is the app Total Finder that uses tabs on the same line as the traffic lights. Does look better than default.

Just don't understand why Apple would skip this totally awesome option of customization, especially since this pic was supposedly from a early version of Lion. Just like they don't give you a black menubar option. Totally wack. :mad: Such a simple request, people have modded it for years.

I found the source of your pic, and it was a mockup done by a graphic artist. Never was officially Apple, and sadly it looks like it never will be.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Thx man. Is there a way to at least set custom sidebar and main window image backgrounds?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.