Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DonkeyTron

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
The secondary mouse button(right click) and control+leftclick(right click) restarts my Finder. This makes is so when in finder i cant get info on folders because when i right click, Finder restarts and closes all open folders.

Anybody know how to fix this

~Thanks

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well have you got any hacks installed? Anything to modify the system GUI? What sort of mouse is it?

In future, please keep to the one thread. You'll probably get more coherent and better advice. :)

DonkeyTron

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Well i dont have much protection on this computer. No antispyware or virus stuff. Hacks, hmm. Can't say that i do. I do believe its a mighty mouse but i dont think its the mouse because ctrl left click does the same closes finder also.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, there was a problem when Mighty Mouse first came out if you had assigned any Exposé functions to the buttons but I think that was fixed in an update. Is your system up-to-date? If it is, try removing the mouse shortcuts one-by-one (starting with Exposé if applicable). Oh, and don't worry, it's neither a virus nor spyware. :)

DonkeyTron

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
I've turned off all shortcut mouse related and not. Sadly, Finder is still restarting. Could it possible be a problem within Finder? A way to reinstall?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Reinstalling Finder is pretty much out of the question unless you want to reinstall OSX and there are a few shortcuts you can take before reverting to that technique. Plus, removing the PLIST file effectively gives Finder its default settings and is in most cases the same as reinstalling it.

As a start, open up a new user account in System Preferences, does the problem carry through? :)

DonkeyTron

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
The new account worked fine. No problems. Is there a way I can take my stuff and put it onto that account?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, well it's really weird that the PLIST removal didn't work then. :confused:

You can find all your files from the old user account in the Users folder on your hard disk. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.